PDA

View Full Version : Help with wizard

Zanthy1
2012-05-01, 08:33 PM
Hey all, long time reader of the forums, first actual post!

I am going to be playing a wizard in an upcoming campaign
Only books in said campaign are PHP 1&2, DMG 1, and Monster manual 1
All from the 3.5 edition.

As of now I do not know the actual starting level, but I am expecting it to be on the higher end. My hope is that once I can, to become a Lich.

What I want help with is building this wizard so that he can be a totally awesome dude, and an even more powerfully crazy lich. Any advice?
Advice on Licj includes protecting my most sacred phylactery

Thanks!

Flickerdart
2012-05-01, 08:38 PM
So, aside from Lichdom, what is it that you want your wizard to do? Buff up your allies, or craft them magical items? Curse enemies, or perhaps corrupt and control their minds? Blast them with fire and lightning, or summon hordes to destroy them? Shape the battlefield to suit your whims, or just pick the battlefield ahead of time by ambushing your enemy with divinations and teleportation? A wizard has a terrifying number of options at their disposal, especially at high levels.

Zanthy1
2012-05-01, 08:42 PM
I am not looking so much to helping out teammates, I do look fondly upon reigning destruction on mine enemies. I do want to be able to teleport and such, but lets say im focussing on damage output and some non-combat spells. Only buffs id want would be for myself

Flickerdart
2012-05-01, 08:51 PM
If you want to hurt stuff, look no further than the "orb of X" spells in Complete Mage. No save, no SR, just a touch attack to deal damage. Some of them even come with fancy rider effects (which do sadly get a save). You will want to get your hands on some metamagic feats (and metamagic cost reducer feats) to make your hurting hurt even more.

While you're blowing stuff up, to make sure it doesn't go over and blow you up right back, consider spells like Acid Fog and Black Tentacles. They serve to hurt your enemies, but also lock them down so that they can't get to you.

The Crash Man
2012-05-01, 09:02 PM
Don't think he has access to Complete Mage, so that suggestion can't help him much.

Using core and the PHB alone, best blasting spells you could probably get for these circumstances are from Evocation. So getting Spell Focus in that school to help overcome SR would be ideal.

Ballista
2012-05-01, 09:02 PM
If you want to hurt stuff, look no further than the "orb of X" spells in Complete Mage.

I don't think he can use Complete Mage... which is actually quite depressing, Ultimate Magus anyone?

For race, use Grey Elf from the Monster Manual, +2 Int -2 Str tacked on to high elf.
This may be contrary to the whole Full Caster thing, but I always like taking 3 levels of Duskblade just to get Arcane Channeling. Shove a fireball into a weapon:smallbiggrin:

Edit: Swordsage'd

Zanthy1
2012-05-01, 09:05 PM
I do not have access to the complete mage book, but i get what your saying. I like those spells, they will certainly make sure that I can hit more often than getting hit myself.

That leads me to Lich, what sort of spells to protect phylactery? I'm thinking of making it an adamantine dagger, since they are hard to destroy, but I want it to stay safe but always within my reach

Flickerdart
2012-05-01, 09:06 PM
Spell Focus won't help with SR. Sadly he doesn't have access to Assay Spell Resistance, either.

Ballista
2012-05-01, 09:24 PM
Spell Penetration for the SR?
Take Arcane Thesis to reduce Metamagic costs and increase caster level
Elven Spell Lore for dispel bonus + energy substitution?
Arcane Thesis and Elven Spell Lore only apply to one spell each... so make it count!