PDA

View Full Version : Making an awakened toad work.

Stabbald
2012-05-02, 05:50 AM
So I love the idea of playing an awakened toad with the leadership feat so that he can ride around on his cohort.

The best way to make this work in my opinion is with Wizard for maximum flavor, the problem being his spellbook. Is there any way around having a spellbook at all? Bonus points if it doesn't cost anything so that the toad can also have a vow of poverty.

Alternatively would it be possible to have a toad psion ride around on his psicrystal (probably fashioned to look like a biplane)?

Voyager_I
2012-05-02, 06:08 AM
There's a Dragon Magazine ACF called Eidetic Mage that lets you do away with your spellbook at the cost of your familiar (with a few extra details).

Your toad would be a functional caster, assuming your DM is willing to overlook your limitations with regards to somatic components, but you wouldn't be able to have a toad buddy.

Vizzerdrix
2012-05-02, 06:18 AM
You could be a sorcerer, or try the generic caster fron UA.

Alternately, buy a well trained dog to carry the book.

Or use Eidetic Mage as mentioned, but take obtain Familiar at level 3. As for somatic components, I'm sure I've seen a feat or three (three exactly) that deal with this.

Soranar
2012-05-02, 06:36 AM
Nah, you should go all out hypno toad.

Make a level 1 psion telepath , charm a commoner and use him as a mount until you find something better

gomipile
2012-05-02, 07:01 AM
Psion or erudite would work better, mechanically.

Elric VIII
2012-05-02, 07:59 AM
Well, you could be a spontaneous caster. Bard might work.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhih31rA7o1qzs79ko1_500.jpg

docnessuno
2012-05-02, 08:02 AM
Don't use your cohort as a mount, pretend to be HIS familiar!

Stabbald
2012-05-02, 08:34 AM
Don't use your cohort as a mount, pretend to be HIS familiar!

That's pretty much what I was thinking, which is why I felt that wizard would work best. Sorcerer would work as well, just wouldn't feel right.

Nah, you should go all out hypno toad.

Make a level 1 psion telepath , charm a commoner and use him as a mount until you find something better

Psion would work as well, but only if I figure out how the toad could ride around on a humorously shaped psicrystal. Is there any rule that prevents you from making a psicrystal of any size you want? Any limit on shape?

There's a Dragon Magazine ACF called Eidetic Mage that lets you do away with your spellbook at the cost of your familiar (with a few extra details).

Your toad would be a functional caster, assuming your DM is willing to overlook your limitations with regards to somatic components, but you wouldn't be able to have a toad buddy.

That's pretty much what I was hoping for, though from my very limited internet search it might actually be called Eidetic Spellcaster from Dragon Magazine #357. It would be perfect if it didn't require you to spend money on incense to learn extra spells.

I was rather hoping to pull off VoP with this guy as I think it would work better if he didn't have any discernible gear. It's somewhat difficult to pretend you're just a toad if you're wearing a miniature Robe of the Archmagi.

Cirrylius
2012-05-02, 11:13 AM
There is no part of this that I don't love.

I was rather hoping to pull off VoP with this guy as I think it would work better if he didn't have any discernible gear.
Ask your DM to tweak VoP if you go that route. Awesome fluff concept - VoP = left behind.

Snowbluff
2012-05-02, 11:38 AM
Seconding Psion/any psi. They don't have to put up with components. Then go Thrallherd. :smallamused:

Once you're done, I'll ask you to post it on the builds thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241193).

Roguenewb
2012-05-02, 12:31 PM
Do the thing where you use one of the telekinesis spells to hurl hundreds of weapons at your opponent. Tiny frog, surrounded by a storm of bladed weapons flying at you is incredibly cool.

Someone know what the hell I'm talking about and can link it?

Stabbald
2012-05-02, 12:36 PM
Do the thing where you use one of the telekinesis spells to hurl hundreds of weapons at your opponent. Tiny frog, surrounded by a storm of bladed weapons flying at you is incredibly cool.

Someone know what the hell I'm talking about and can link it?

Sounds like the Jean Grey (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870578/X-mens_Jean_Grey,_or_how_to_be_silly_with_MotUH) build.

Chronos
2012-05-02, 04:59 PM
Make sure to take ranks in Profession: Lawyer. And hang out with a bunch of fey barbarians.

And I can't be the only one who noticed the avatar of the first reply.

Inferno
2012-05-02, 05:17 PM
Psion would also be awesome for the option to get Full plate for your toad.

Would a Toad in full plate be able to move? Mounted on a psicrystal/person/improved familiar it wouldn't really matter, but still...

Voyager_I
2012-05-02, 05:21 PM
And I can't be the only one who noticed the avatar of the first reply.

I didn't even notice.

You're right, it's Eidetic Spellcaster. That was my mistake. For a build suggestion, I'd second those recommending you try to talk your DM into making an exception in Vow of Poverty that would let you actually learn spells. Failing that, looking into alternative spellcasting options is also a viable option. A VoP Toad Sorcerer with Eschew Materials can be a perfectly effective character.

How important is it for you to be a Wizard, specifically? Will any sort of spell caster do, and do you expect your DM to be open to bending a few rules in the interest of making a character concept work?