PDA

View Full Version : Researching Original Spells...

Kerilstrasz
2012-05-02, 07:19 AM
So... according to DMG pg 198:
A spellcaster of any kind can create a new spell. The research to
do this requires access to a well-stocked library, typically in a large
city or metropolis. Research requires an expenditure of 1,000 gp
per week and takes one week per level of the spell. This money
goes into fees, consultants, material component experimentation,
and other miscellaneous expenditures. At the end of that time, the
character makes a Spellcraft check (DC 10 + spell level). If that roll
succeeds, the character learns the new spell if her research produced
a viable spell. If the roll fails, the character must go through
the research process again if she wants to keep trying.
[...]The number of spells that sorcerers and bards can know is
strictly limited; members of those classes can never exceed these
limits even through the research of original spells.
a sorcerer CAN research for new spells... so lets say he do some research for a viable spell and he manages to research it. Now what?
he "remembers" the spell and can add it to his spell's list when he reaches the lvl that he can "learn" it?
he has to get scribe scroll feat to scribe it and then when he reaches the lvl that he can "learn" it?
he can hire a wizard to scribe it for him to a scroll(even though the wizard now knows his spell) ?
All of the above?
Anything more from the above?
Or it is just DM's choice?

Telonius
2012-05-02, 08:10 AM
The rules don't really specify, so it's DM's choice. Personally I'd say that if the Sorcerer has already taken his new spell(s) for that level, he "remembers it" and can add it to the list of spells known at the next level.

The "take the scribe scroll feat" option doesn't really make much fluff sense to me. Sorcerers and Bards don't get their power from scrolls.

If the DM puts the newly-researched spell on the Wizard list as well as the Sorcerer or Bard list (there are spells that are Sorcerer- or Bard-only) then there's no reason a Wizard couldn't learn it, cast it, or Scribe it on a scroll. The Sorcerer would follow the usual rules for casting from such a scroll. If he makes the spellcraft check (or uses Read Magic) to decipher the writing, if it's of a spell level he can already cast, and if he has the required ability score for it, then he can use the scroll as normal.

Sudain
2012-05-02, 10:01 AM
I'd say he just knows the new spell. If he wants to teach it great. I'd probably leave notes about it lying around as clues for the PCs.