PDA

View Full Version : Need Non-Boring utility character! 3.P

DefKab
2012-05-02, 07:46 AM
So, for a campaign I'm in, it has been decided that The Paladin Must Go!

Since the paladin is my character, I get the joy of bringing a whole new character in, this time to play with the group. It's a Pathfinder powered game, but with all of 3.5 allowed with workins and approval...

What I have in my party is a Ranger, a Rogue, and an Artificer...

Because of the way Pathfinder is, the Artificer is... Less than awesome, and doesn't really work well... Like at all.
So, I have a good damage base, with the ranger, and the rogue, a mediocre arcanist, and no heals anymore.

Long talks with the DM has resulted in the conclusion that 1) The Artificer can be our wand jockey for healing as good as any cleric
and 2) That I need to be a heavy support class
In the end, we decided on either a Swordsage, or a Wizard. Or Psion, but what's the difference...

So, as far as swordsages go, it was utility that brought us to that, but an exciting character idea, however, I don't know much of anything about Swordsages... Could they provide as a background support character?

And with the wizard/psion, could I make a wizard and/or psion that's actually exciting for me to play rather than just having all the wins?
I saw the thread on the Awakened Toad idea, and I kinda like that, but how would that work mechanically? What's a toads LA after being awakened?
Or could I go Ferret (as they're already scarysmart)?
What other amusing/weird ways could you make a useful wizard?

Thanks!

docnessuno
2012-05-02, 07:59 AM
If you consider drifting a bit from your concept a summoner would add both a good frontliner to your party and a true utility character, dedicated to buffing and control.

If you like Wizard and psion why not take it a step further and go for a cerebramancer? The power loss for being a theurge-like seems to be exactly what you are looking for to avoid outshining everyone.

Edit: Also the Psionic unleashed (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/cerebremancer) (Pathfinder) CM does have some nice parks

Gnorman
2012-05-02, 08:02 AM
A good wizard (read: a God) doesn't "win", he makes his minions win for him. As long as you're concentrating your efforts on keeping your enemies divided and debuffed, your allies brimming over with magical bonuses, you won't outshine them. At least, not obviously.

DefKab
2012-05-02, 08:05 AM
If you consider drifting a bit from your concept a summoner would add both a good frontliner to your party and a true utility character, dedicated to buffing and control.

If you like Wizard and psion why not take it a step further and go for a cerebramancer? The power loss for being a theurge-like seems to be exactly what you are looking for to avoid outshining everyone.

Edit: Also the Psionic unleashed (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/cerebremancer) (Pathfinder) CM does have some nice parks

Summoner's a good idea, didn't think about that, full of flavor... Plus, you know... Ball-Of-Arms Guy....
And I haven't seen the Cerebramancer... I honestly have been ignoring the Pathfinder aspects of our game (as have everyone else) and have been stuck in 3.5...

DefKab
2012-05-02, 08:14 AM
Playing with the idea of Cerebramancer... I could go Cerebramancer/Mystic Theurge, and end up as a level 14 Wiz, and Level 8 Clr/Psi... That's amusing to me... Is there any prestige class anywhere that combines Psionics and Divine, so I can even things up again?

Is there a REASON I shouldn't do Wiz3/Clr3/MysThu5/Psi3/CerMan6?

Fouredged Sword
2012-05-02, 08:41 AM
Splinting yourself two way will be harsh enough for your power level. Your artificer already can make any magic items you need from the side not taken. I suggest you stick to a wizard / psion.

I suggest you use the shaper psion variety. Use Astral Construct for your summon and don't look back. Let your wizard side be support and party buffs. Try to use some early entry cheese to get into the class with one level of wizard though.

Mage armor will make the rogue your friend. Up his def without needing to worry about armor check penalty.

One consideration you may have not thought of is a warweaver. Consider a single dip in warweaver as it makes your buffs all become mass versions of themselves for one caster level.

I think you can end up with something like psion 18 / wizard 11 casting. That isn't bad really.

Note there are some wizard spells that grant PP. A few scrolls for when you are pushed up to a wall will really help.

Pilo
2012-05-02, 09:00 AM
Is there a REASON I shouldn't do Wiz3/Clr3/MysThu5/Psi3/CerMan6?

Yes, because the archivist exists (Book: Hereos of Horror)! Unlike what the WotC internet site, archivists spellcasting works on Intelligence, at least in the french version.

Go Archi3/Wiz3/MysThu5/Psi3/CerMan6?

DefKab
2012-05-02, 09:34 AM
Yes, because the archivist exists (Book: Hereos of Horror)! Unlike what the WotC internet site, archivists spellcasting works on Intelligence, at least in the french version.

Go Archi3/Wiz3/MysThu5/Psi3/CerMan6?

Thats even better, but I dont think I'll be mad about my MADness in splitting between Wis and Int... Both are valuable to me even as an Int based character...

I actually think I'm loving this idea... Combined the awakened Toad idea...
So, I'm doing Drd3/Wiz3/MysThe5/Psi3/CerMan5... I think a 3d8 toad is worth a +1 LA, right? Then I'll have a Galapagos turtle as my familiar, and an Eagle as my Animal companion, (gives me flight). My turtle will have saddlebags, and things will be amazing for us...