PDA

View Full Version : iterative attacks with multiple natural weapons.

hushblade
2012-05-02, 10:57 AM
Can anyone explain how this works? I've heard having lots of natural weapons can allow you to hit many times in one turn, but I'm not really sure what the rules are for this.

Telonius
2012-05-02, 11:15 AM
The rules for natural weapons are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons). It's under "Special Abilities," which is (unfortunately) not very intuitive.

Basically, the monster entry has one or more natural weapons listed, with one as primary. The primary one gets the full attack bonus, the secondaries get -5 (no matter how many of them there are). So if you have a monster with attack of 10 and three natural weapons, they'd go 10/5/5.

Multiattack lessens the penalty to -2 (again, no matter how many attacks there are).

EDIT: One thing to note, it's the natural weapon type that gets the biggest bonus. For example, Gargoyles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gargoyle.htm) have a full attack of Claw/Claw/Bite/Gore. Their primary natural attack is Claw, so both Claws get an attack of +6. The others get the lesser bonus of +4. (Note that Gargoyles get Multiattack; otherwise the other attacks would be at +1).

Roguenewb
2012-05-02, 11:19 AM
Unfortunately, high base attack bonus doesn't entitle creatures to iterative attacks with natural weapons. As far as I know, the only way to do so is to use Rapidstrike (Draconomicon) feat, however, you need to have one of a very limited list of creature types (the easiest being aberration from Elan)

Darth Stabber
2012-05-02, 01:44 PM
There is a method of getting extra attacks that is easier than rapid strike: Improved unarmed strike.

You may make your full iterative of unarmed strikes at your full BAB, which unfortunately makes all of your natural weapons secondary. Combined with multiattack it makes a pretty scary thing (and the basis for many bear warrior, druid, and totemist builds).

TuggyNE
2012-05-02, 08:33 PM
Can anyone explain how this works? I've heard having lots of natural weapons can allow you to hit many times in one turn, but I'm not really sure what the rules are for this.

*casts Summon Urpriest I*

Iteratives and natural weapons don't (usually) mix; you get one attack with each natural weapon when making a full attack; you generally have one or more primary natural weapons, all attacking at highest BAB, and zero or more secondary ones, at either a flat -5 penalty from highest BAB, or -2 (using Multiattack).

So basically, more natural weapons = more attacks.

Darth Stabber
2012-05-02, 11:10 PM
*casts Summon Urpriest I*

Iteratives and natural weapons don't (usually) mix; you get one attack with each natural weapon when making a full attack; you generally have one or more primary natural weapons, all attacking at highest BAB, and zero or more secondary ones, at either a flat -5 penalty from highest BAB, or -2 (using Multiattack).

So basically, more natural weapons = more attacks.

Improved Unarmed Strike. It gives you an iterative you can use alongside your natural weapons, like I already said 10hrs earlier.

TuggyNE
2012-05-03, 12:43 AM
Improved Unarmed Strike. It gives you an iterative you can use alongside your natural weapons, like I already said 10hrs earlier.

Hence why I said "usually". I should have been a bit more clear, though. :smallsigh: