PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remember a game system (based on skill system)...

Mordar
2012-05-02, 12:28 PM
Hello all -

Trying to remember a game system from "back in the day" - would have been from a major publisher (at the time, at least) as opposed to an "indie game developer".

The key element I recall (and the thing that has triggered this search) is the skill system - instead of using numeric ranks, or providing a skill-score, the character sheet had little checkboxes. If you had the skill, you checked the box. Now, there were "extra" ranks - I think you could have up to three checks (think trained - expert - master or something like that).

I believe it was a system that was used perhaps in mutliple genres of RPG from the same publisher (ala Chaosium system in Call of C'thulhu, Stormbringer and Pendragon, but definitely not that system) which is why I believe that I can't remember the genre of game.

Any thoughts, Playground?

- M

eggs
2012-05-02, 07:05 PM
Old World of Darkness?

Mordar
2012-05-02, 07:20 PM
Old World of Darkness?

Nope - that still used "dots" that determined the number of dice you roll. Thank you for responding though!

I now see I didn't explain myself anywhere near well enough. As I recall, the skill "level" may have impacted a "skill check" by:

Allowing you to make the skill check;
Providing a fixed modifier to the attribute or skill test based on the level (e.g. You get +1 to the roll if you are trained, +3 if expert, and so on)
Provided for automatic success (e.g. "Anyone Expert in alchemy will quickly realize...")

It wasn't purchased in ranks, didn't determine number of dice and didn't go beyond 3 boxes (maybe even only 2 boxes!).

So frustrating to not recall more details that would surely help...

Raum
2012-05-02, 08:08 PM
Sounds a lot like Dark Heresy or Warhammer Fantasy Role Play. Do you remember anything else about the system or setting?

Mordar
2012-05-03, 02:21 PM
Sounds a lot like Dark Heresy or Warhammer Fantasy Role Play. Do you remember anything else about the system or setting?

Much much older than the WH40k games - would have been mid- to late 80s, maybe early 90s. I think it was a multiple settings game system, but it may have been an investigation-based game (over "kill monsters and take loot"). At first I had thought it might be Chill, but it certainly isn't...but that does make me wonder if it was a system that had a horror-based setting available.

- M