PDA

View Full Version : Which spell lists would you want?

Spuddles
2012-05-02, 01:26 PM
Choose two of these spell lists:
Beguiler
Dread Necromancer
Warmage

And one of these spell lists:
Cleric
Druid

What combination would you prefer, and why?

Malachei
2012-05-02, 01:45 PM
Choose two of these spell lists:
Beguiler
Dread Necromancer
Warmage

And one of these spell lists:
Cleric
Druid

What combination would you prefer, and why?

I'd choose the Beguiler spell list and the Druid spell list. Both complement nicely, both defensively and offensively.

docnessuno
2012-05-02, 02:02 PM
I'd go for Beguiler and Druid too, for the same reasons.

FMArthur
2012-05-02, 02:13 PM
Yeah, Beguiler gets far more varied things to do with its spells than its counterparts.

Cleric and Druid are closer. I think druids get a more diverse selection but the Cleric exclusives are more irreplaceable.

Hey are we talking about for life or a D&D game by the way? :smallbiggrin:

Spuddles
2012-05-02, 02:28 PM
You get TWO from the first list (so beguiler & warmage), and either cleric or druid. This is for a low to mid level dnd game, btw.

I would go warmage, beguiler, druid, cause druid has almost as good spells as wizard, beguiler for subterfuge, and warmage because BOOM (and black tentacles).

eggs
2012-05-02, 02:38 PM
Are domains included in the Cleric list?

If yes, Cleric, Beguiler, DN. If no, Druid, Beguiler, DN.

Counting domains, once you add the Substitute Domain spell, the Cleric can basically cast anything. Otherwise, the Druid Spell list just has more versatile effects than the Cleric's base list.

Warmage basically has two spell effects - damage (replicated by both divine classes) and battlefield control (replicated by both divine classes).
Beguiler's Enchantments and Illusions are difficult for Clerics and Druids to obtain.
DN's necromancy is difficult for Druids, its debuffs are general improvements over the Cleric's options, and Command Undead is a very powerful option Clerics lack.

CGforever!
2012-05-02, 02:47 PM
In both life and a D&D game, I'd pick Beguiler with druid. I just fit and prefer those classes better/more. I'd rather incapacitate than kill (and I can always kill those I incapacitate), and I prefer the nature spells to "godly" ones. Also, I'm not an armor person. In fact, that combination is very "fey" which I think is cool.

However, warmage with cleric would be my next choice.

Telonius
2012-05-02, 03:04 PM
Definitely Warmage, Beguiler, and Cleric. Warmage and Beguiler provide a great mix of utility and blastiness (when necessary). The Dread Necro list is really more about debuffing and summoning undead, neither of which I particularly care for (either as a tactic or in terms of fluff). I'd choose Cleric casting over Druid casting especially if Domains are in play. Anyspell alone will give you much more versatility. Losing out on Shapechange hurts (unless you have the Animal domain) but losing Gate, True Resurrection, and Miracle would hurt worse (at least IMO).

Malachei
2012-05-02, 03:06 PM
You get TWO from the first list (so beguiler & warmage), and either cleric or druid. This is for a low to mid level dnd game, btw.

I would go warmage, beguiler, druid, cause druid has almost as good spells as wizard, beguiler for subterfuge, and warmage because BOOM (and black tentacles).

Oh, yes, two. Then, in addition to beguiler and druid, I'd choose dread necromancer.

FMArthur
2012-05-02, 03:44 PM
Beguiler list is basically the one sure thing here.

What you pick for your 'strong' list between Cleric and Druid should also determine your other lesser list; Cleric mostly covers Dread Necro and Druid can decently substitute for Warmage. If you pick Cleric you should pick Warmage and if you pick Druid you're probably better off with Dread Necro.