PDA

View Full Version : XP: A Universal Currency?

Grinner
2012-05-02, 03:43 PM
Recently, I had an idea for a campaign setting, sort of. The catch was that I intended to write it using only OGL material or my own homebrew, and perhaps also set a time limit.

So, I started to compile a respectable library of SRDs, third-party sourcebooks, and DM tools(generators, design guides, etc.). As I was working, something occurred to me; D&D makes absolutely no sense. I had come across this voodoo prestige class capable of making poppets with which they could target enemies with spells at any distance. The cost of making a poppet was 1,000 gp per enemy hit die.

In contrast, many of the prices listed in the PHB and DMG are quite typical of a medieval society. The average laborer makes about one to three silver pieces a day, and a proper weapon costs more than they could ever afford.

I actually told myself, "It's just a game."

The reason for this discrepancy seems obvious: balance. The designers were following WoTC's lead and setting inane prices for great benefits. That's fine. But, on WoTC's part, also trying to maintain an air of verisimilitude causes everything to break down, especially where PCs are involved.

As one writer put it,"And while purely intellectual exercises in a universe that is essentially a giant lava lamp of crazy can be interesting, satisfying storytelling is impossible."

But! I am not writing merely to rant. Instead, I wish to make corrections. To me, the most obvious problem seems to be the overabundance of magic items and wealth-by-level, but I'm not prepared to tackle that. Instead, I would prefer to make smaller adjustments for my setting.

For starters, I remember that the accepted exchange rate of gold pieces to XP is about 5 gp to each XP point. With that in mind, I'd like to have players be rewarded solely in XP and handwave any accrual or expenditure of gold.

My question to you all is this: "What ramifications can you all see as a result of this change?"

The most obvious to me is the possible accelerated advancement of spellcasting PCs, resulting in an accelerated breaking of the game...On the other hand, PCs could end up purchasing a ton of suboptimal equipment with their XP and end up screwing themselves over.

tl;dr: D&D 3.5, and consequently PF, is poorly designed (Surprise!). Unfortunately, it's also quite popular, so it's the only game for which anything I write will stand a chance of being played by anyone other than myself. Plus, it has a ton of OGL content written for it.

Snowbluff
2012-05-02, 03:46 PM
Eh, I still prefer taking souls and eating them when I need a level, or trading them for loot people pick off of the dead or deprived.

Feralventas
2012-05-02, 04:47 PM
You could take the Dark Souls/Demons Souls perspective.

Rather than using Experience Points and Gold Pieces, as 3.x does, for two separate experience/progression sets, you could treat both as the same.

In a standard setting, it would mean that a character's level is determined by the amount of wealth they've acquired. If they want to purchase magic items, they would need to spend the wealth they've worked to hard to gain in the first place.

In a setting more akin to the DS sort, Experience points are the only currency, and that can only be applied to one's self (xp pool) at certain locations, but stack up and can be held on to for use as currency as well, at which point the player chooses whether to invest more in magical equipment or on class levels.

So, a player could have a level 1 character, but be very effective via Tattoos of Vigor for an HP pool more than 1d6+con, as well as viable in combat through wands and scrolls or weapon augmentations. (Legacy weapons deter this though, only developing along with the PC, as do classes/PrC's that are based around such a weapon.)

Or a player could aim for high-level class features and options, but would lack significant equipment. A fighter would have plenty of hit-chance and lots of feats, but would still be using mundane gear and dealing less damage. A Cleric would have decent hit-chance and buffs, but no major ability buffs or utility items, so they're stuck with their spells prepared; this can be deadly and dangerous for 'casters if locations to rejuvenate are few and far between.

Grinner
2012-05-02, 05:05 PM
@Feralventas: I had been pretty much thinking your latter suggestion where players could spend XP on magic items or level advancement.

Sorry. I guess I should have made that clearer. :smallredface:

What concerns me about that is that in D&D 3.5, not all character options are equally useful. A few levels of wizard or sorcerer plus mithral armor can be far more effective for a fighter than a +5 sword.

Vladislav
2012-05-02, 05:43 PM
I feel the need to mention the Legend roleplaying system (google it up). OGL-compatible, places a lot more emphasys on the character itself and less on its WBL.

Jeraa
2012-05-02, 05:54 PM
In contrast, many of the prices listed in the PHB and DMG are quite typical of a medieval society. The average laborer makes about one to three silver pieces a day, and a proper weapon costs more than they could ever afford.

Off topic, but: Only unskilled laborers (0 ranks in craft or profession) make 1 sp per day. Everyone with at least 1 rank in either skill earns half their check result in gold pieces per week. So with even 1 skill rank, they earn 5.5gp per week, or 7-8sp per day. At 4 ranks, they earn 7gp/week, or 1gp per day.

I would assume the average person is at least somewhat skilled in their trade of choice, and has at least 1 rank in the appropriate skill.

Feralventas
2012-05-02, 06:49 PM
@Feralventas: I had been pretty much thinking your latter suggestion where players could spend XP on magic items or level advancement.

Sorry. I guess I should have made that clearer. :smallredface:

What concerns me about that is that in D&D 3.5, not all character options are equally useful. A few levels of wizard or sorcerer plus mithral armor can be far more effective for a fighter than a +5 sword.

Sure, but if you're playing this way, a few levels in any class can be useful.

Remember, class levels in a system like 3.x aren't restrictive; you can take 1 level in 20 classes and while it wouldn't be optimal in any sense, it would instead be very versatile for low-level and simple mechanisms and the like. Yeah, a few levels of Wizard are valuable, but a so are a few in Fighter, a dip in Barbarian, Rogue for some skill points, bard for Knowledge Everything, monk for unarmored AC and unarmed attacks (1 level at low levels being cheaper than the 12k for the Belt/robe).

Encourage/require multi-classing and this system should work out just fine.

Alternatively, have certain class features more expensive so that rather than a class/level system it's a point-buy system used to purchase certain things. One level in Wizard would cost as much as the Slow pathfinder exp progession would for its level, but you could buy a level of Fighter and some extra equipment (including enough wands to make the 1st level Wizard work for his paycheck) so as to balance.

Then again, this is conjecture at this point. I wish you luck either way.

Grinner
2012-05-02, 08:49 PM
I feel the need to mention the Legend roleplaying system (google it up). OGL-compatible, places a lot more emphasys on the character itself and less on its WBL.

That's pretty smart. :smallbiggrin: I'd have to gain a better understanding of Legend's design, especially tracks, but considering its cult following, I could at least attract some attention to the project.

Modifying material from my extant library into a format compatible with Legend will be tricky at best though...