PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Archivist Build please.

smarti
2012-05-02, 04:25 PM
Dragonborn Dragonworught Desert Kobold

Str: 10 (14-4) +0
Dex: 12 (12+2-2) +1
Con: 18 (16+2) +4
Wis: 12 (10+3-2+1) +1
Int: 18 (14+3+1) +4
Cha: 11 (8+3) +0

Saves @ 8: 6/5/10

Class:Caster LVL/Initiator LVL
Archivist (HoH): 1/0
Archivist (HoH): 2/1
Archivist (HoH): 3/1
Archivist (HoH): 4/2
Archivist (HoH): 5/2
Singer of Concordance: (RotD) 6/3
Singer of Concordance: (RotD) 7/3
Crusader (ToB): 7/4
Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB): 7/5
Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB): 8/6
Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB): 9/7
Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB): 10/8
Singer of Concordance (RotD) 11/9
Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB): 12/10
Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB): 13/11
Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB): 14/12
Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB): 15/13
Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB): 15/14
Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB): 16/15
Archivist (HoC): 17/15

Feats:
Dragonwrought @1
Extra Turning (either Lightkeeker Template (DoE) or alternative LVL1 Feats from UA @1 for Flaw Shaky (-2 to ranged attacks)
???@1 for Flaw ???
@3 ???
Multiclassing (Archivist) @ 6
Extra Granted Maneuver @9
Knowledge Devotion from SOC

Character Idea: Tank that self-buffs - I didn't take Cleric cause the group already has one and I wanted to try Archivist - there seem to be pretty interesting buffing options with paladin and druid spells - game starts at lvl 8 so all divine spells up to 4th are fair game in creation.

Is that a viable concept? I was playing with the idea of adding factotum for more Int bonus but that would cost me some casting (especially lvl 4 spells I probably wont get my hands on in game all that easyly). What feats would you recommand at 3? Add another Flaw?

Again, thanks for the Input (didn't want to open a new thread so I just edited this one)

Lostbutseeking
2012-05-02, 05:36 PM
You gain a stance known at RKV 1 with which you can use to get Thicket of blades so you don't need crusader at 7 to get that.

Unless you really need the skills - ditch factotum 1.

A one level dip of Dread necromancer (requires you to be neutral) will give you a rebuke undead pool to help power DMM and divine impetus for the cost of a caster level. However you already lose 3 caster levels in any RKV build - losing anymore costs you level 9 spells so bear that in mind.

Given the tightness of feats and that you have multiclassing penalties (madness) in play you are better off going human instead of dragonwrought kobold. Doing so gives you an extra feat and FC:any. The extra feats frees up the room for DMM: persist.

Use cleric/CC as your casting class instead of mixing archivist and cleric - thats just more lost casting levels.

smarti
2012-05-02, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the Input.

Stances at RKV 1 is true - but any crusader 1 build has only 4 IL by then - so no lvl 3 stances/strikes.

Was just an idea - I have the regular 4/1 and 3/2 and 2/3 (Cleric/Crusader) calculated through but thought I could add some fun. I don't think that we will ever reach anything highter than CL 14.
Kobold is mostly for fun as well and Factotum was only an idea to get something out of the Int-Score.
But yea I guess 3 CC and 2 Cr is the way to go (considering those stupid multiclassing rules -.-)

smarti
2012-05-05, 01:12 PM
Edited the build, thanks again for the input lost. You think that it could work like this?

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-05, 01:15 PM
Can't you take Singer at level 2?

smarti
2012-05-05, 01:30 PM
It has the prereqs to cast 3rd divine spells and to have 8 ranks in (k)relegion

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-05, 01:41 PM
So?

True Dragons ignore prerequisites for things that require dragonblood.

smarti
2012-05-05, 01:45 PM
Didn't know about that - what book is that in? DoE as well?
Guess I have to ask my DM about it ^.^ if he allows it that would be rather nice.

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-05, 01:48 PM
Remember, Dragonwrought Kobolds are definitely True Dragons. They have the Dragon Type, those 12 age categories, and they increase in power as they age.

http://i32.tinypic.com/30922y9.jpg

I think its like on page 3 or 4 or something of Races of the Dragon. In a sidebar at the bottom somewhere.

Also, DW Kobolds are TOO CUTE to not be True Dragons

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1170617/ Awww.... <3

smarti
2012-05-05, 01:58 PM
Agreed, Kobolds are dragons, that is stated in the feat dragonwrought (it even says they become dragons)

But on page four it states:
Dragons automatically qualify for any classes, prestige classes,
racial substitution levels, feats, powers, or spells that require
the dragonblood subtype. Races presented in this book that
have the dragonblood subtype include dragonborn, spellscale,
kobold, and draconic creatures. Should a creature acquire the
dragon type, it loses the dragonblood subtype.

As I read it it just says that if you are a dragon you automatically also qualify for the dragonblood subtype requirement however that doesn't free you of any other requirements.

Thought about it some more - could actually be both ways - gotta talk to my DM about it - so besides that, will that build work?