PDA

View Full Version : Next Final Fantasy Conversion (PEACH please)

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-05-02, 06:46 PM
Hi everyone.

After i have completed my current project i was thinking what other Final Fantasy games i can convert to d20.

i have narrowed down the choices between Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX, but i didn't know if anyone here would be interested in them as a d20 setting. if you are, please share with me your thoughts and opinions, as i very much would like to make this a group contribution from the very beginning.

Here are a few ideas i have already for each system:

Final Fantasy VIII

GF-based system where players can gain additional feats and abilities depending on the Guardian Force junctioned.

No MP - players can stock magic through the use of the Draw skill, which is only accessible while junctioned to a GF. magic stock of a single spell caps at 20.

limit Breaks accessible depending on the type of weapon equipped.

Final Fantasy IX

Summoners are a race, not a class. Eidolons only accessible to players who have the necessary Magic Training feat.

Trance abilities depend on race and class.

MP-based magic system where mp is consumed per casting of spell/summon. once mp is reduced to 0, players cannot use magic or eidolons until its restored using an ether.

Thanks

The link to my current project is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232101)

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-05-02, 07:33 PM
Race and Class list for each game:

Final Fantasy VIII

Races
Human
Moomba
Shumi
Harpy (think Ultimecia :smallbiggrin:)

Heroic Classes
Noble (President Deling, Rinoa)
Soldier (Biggs, Wedge, Irvine)
SeeD Cadet (Squall, Zell, Seifer, Quistis, Selphie)
Scoundrel (Zone, Watts)
Scout (White SeeD members)

Final Fantasy IX

Races
Human
Genome
Summoner
Cleyran
Burmecian
Golem (think Vivi and the black mages :smallbiggrin:)
Moogle
Qu
Dwarf
Mole People

Heroic Classes
Thief (Zidane, Marcus, Blank)
Knight (Steiner, Freya, Beatrix)
Mage (Dagger, Eiko, Quina, Vivi)
Noble (Queen Brahne)
Monk (Amarant)

Sypher667
2012-05-03, 08:10 PM
I'd love to see what you could do with VIII. Unlike most people I've spoken too, it's easily my favorite of the series. Still dont know why, but I cant get enough.

You should have the Eden GF summon require the DM spends 10 min IRL describing it though. Cause that thing takes FOREVER! More seriously, I should play IX...

Good luck with either project. :smallbiggrin:

Larkas
2012-05-03, 08:56 PM
I vote for FFVIII too. Unlike Sypher667, it's not my favorite game in the series by a large margin, but it IS one of my favorite game and battle systems of them all. I'd love to see where you would take them in this conversion :smallsmile:

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-05-04, 12:33 AM
thanks everyone, VIII it is then :smalltongue: VIII is my favourite in the series too. I'll start with the races then i'll post them here.

I also have this idea as well about how female characters can become Witches (Witch will be a PrC).

MAGICAL AFFINITY
All characters have a Natural Affinity to magic. Each heroic class has a magical affinity progressive system, a bit like the base attack bonus, and it is this number that is applied to casting rolls when using spells and GFs.

Female members of each race gain a bonus to their magical affinity as Hyne believed women to be the ideal embodiment of the Witch's power. Like i said, however, magical affinity isn't just a way of tracking how strong a woman is when using witchcraft, but all characters use to determine what bonus they recieve when using magic and GFs.

Also, Magical Affinity determines how many times a single GF can be summoned in a single day.

Princess Tracy
2012-06-06, 03:43 PM
Sup, DM. You never stop working, do ya? Still Playtesting VII and you're already onto VIII. They should just hire you over at Square - there's gotta be enough DnD and Final Fantasy fan overlap for that to be a worthwhile business venture.

Wish I could help, but... I never actually played VIII. And I don't think I will anytime soon. It was one of those games I think I would nitpick too much to enjoy - I'm like that. I've grown to be too matter-of-factly and critical of stories (and translations - so maybe I'll play it when I get around to learning Japanese and see if that enhances it any) in my old age [I'll be twenty in about a month for gods' sake!]. But, if you ever ran a campaign based in that universe, it might be an interesting experiment to just throw me into it with little prior knowledge of that game - it'd be pretty funny being a fish out of water and I think you've the makings of a damn good DM from what little I've seen of you.

Which reminds me, I was going to go play IX, why didn't I...? Oh yeah, my brother deleted the game and the associated data from the PS3 so I'll have to start again. At least I wasn't that far, I guess...

Marc_In_Da_Room
2012-06-06, 04:51 PM
Thanks Trace :smallbiggrin:, i think you should play VIII as the story is absolutely brilliant, in my opinion, and i recommend it to anyone.

IX is also really good. Im now stuck on which one to convert now lol. Any ideas from anyone is very much welcome.