PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Con Man: help me make a PC

Adam...?
2012-05-02, 08:37 PM
So I've got this idea for a character, and probably an opportunity to actually play with it. It is super exciting. However, while I have loads of good ideas for the character's background and personality, I'm really blanking on how to set up the crunch. Maybe you can help me.

The general idea is that the guy is a con man, grifter, and/or shuckster. One part Neal Caffrey from White Collar, one part Diskworld's Moist Von Lipwig, and one part Danny Ocean from Ocean's 11. Also, maybe a bit of Han Solo just for kicks. He probably considers himself to be an "artist" or "skilled professional" rather than a criminal, and considers things like simple burglary, theft, or murder to be boorish and unprofessional. Despite technically being a greedy crook, he has a code of conduct, and avoids scamming people unless they "deserve it," which generally means that either they can afford the losses, or have done something he considers evil or unjust.

Mechanically, I guess that would make this guy a combo skillmonkey/party face. I've always wanted to play a factotum, and their massive number of skill points seems to be a good fit. So that makes maxing intelligence an easy choice. I'd imagine that acting as a party face would mean I should bump up charisma too, unless there's some way to use int for social skills reliably.

So what after (or instead of) that? Being good at skills is pretty much the crux of the character, but being at least competent in combat would be nice. However, I have no idea how best to take advantage of factotum-ness. All I can think is that after pumping points into int and cha, I probably won't have more than a 12 in either str or dex, which could be a bit of a problem.

So how would you do it?

PS: the group I'd be playing with isn't particularly great at optimization, so I'd prefer is the shenanigans didn't get TOO crazy. Also, most books except for setting-specific material should be fair game.

Waker
2012-05-02, 08:54 PM
The primary methods for being a combatant when playing as a factotum usually involve one of three approaches.
1. Iajutsu Focus (Oriental) + Gnome Quickblade (RoS). Pump up the iajutsu skill and deal respectable damage.
2. Trip build. Because Brains over Brawn adds Int to Str/Dex checks, you also add Int to trip attempts (and initiative.)
3. Alter Self Shenanigans. Choose an non-standard race, like Tiefling, and transform into something powerful.

There are other options available. Multi-classing into something like Swashbuckler to add Int to melee damage, PrCing into Chameleon to expand on your options and so forth.
As far as being a face/skillmonkey, you may want to consider taking a few levels in Changeling Rogue (Races of Eberron) to get some very nice bonuses to social skills, like being able to take a 10 on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate and Sense Motive.

Doughnut Master
2012-05-02, 09:22 PM
Marshal. Beguiler. Chameleon. Changeling Rogue. Master of Masks.

If you want to focus more on the skillmonkey side, these are your friends.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-02, 11:33 PM
Looks like you need a stupidly-high Bluff check. What level are we starting here? By the way, this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0) is your bible when it comes to Factotum.

Glibness (+30 Bluff) seems to be important for you, for pumping your Bluff as ludicrously high as possible. Chameleon can get it for you, and once you get Dual Focus, use the Divine side to spam Guidance of the Avatar (+20 to one skill check, discharged), for when you *really* want to knock that check out of the park. Combo all that with a decent Cha, max ranks, and Cunning Knowledge, your "Nova" Bluff mod will likely be around 70 or 80, before items (not counting the spellbook), and your normal one probably around 50. The Epic Bluff DC for showing false alignments for 24 hours is only 70, so you're good on that front.

Remember that skill-boosting items cost ([bonus^2] x100)gp, and you need the best money can buy.

For any items you don't feel like you can afford, switch your Chameleon feat to Craft Wondrous Item, and make it yourself for half price. For extra savings, do this in your backstory time.

You'll definitely want a Ring of Nondetection (one that prevents alignment and mind-reading), upgrading later to show a false alignment. Also, an at-will item of Magic Aura (2,000gp) will hide any sketchy auras you have up (like Glibness'). Get Glibness to last all day, either through enough castings, a custom item, or persisting it somehow.

I've played a Factotum8/Chameleon6 before and had no problems. Find/make ways to use your awesome skills and you'll be golden. In combat, spam your extra standard actions to make Iaijutsu attacks like there's no tomorrow, because that's by far the most efficient use you have for them. Take Font of Inspiration 3-4 times, as well as Quickrazor proficiency. Get a +1 Blurstrike Spell-Storing Quickrazor (store Shivering Touch in it, in case you need to kill a dragon. Saved my character's life), some Marbles, prepare Grease once or twice, and get the Flat-Footed skill tricks. False Theurgy will be your friend, since you don't want people getting the wrong ideas when you re-cast Glibness every few hours.

As for your skills, get Masterwork Tools for every skill you can justify having tools for. A true skill monkey never leaves the Rope Trick unprepared.

Particle_Man
2012-05-03, 02:09 AM
Malconvoker perhaps? Why con mortals when you can con demons? :smallsmile:

Gwendol
2012-05-03, 02:14 AM
Bards make good con-men. And IC will help offset your lack of strength in the damage department.

Flickerdart
2012-05-03, 02:25 AM
I'd have to second the Bard approach. Bard 7/Malconvoker 3/Sublime Chord 2/Malconvoker 6/Something 2 would make you a pretty slick trickster (a slickster?).

Gwendol
2012-05-03, 02:46 AM
I'd have to second the Bard approach. Bard 7/Malconvoker 3/Sublime Chord 2/Malconvoker 6/Something 2 would make you a pretty slick trickster (a slickster?).

+1 to this build. Add Bardic Knack for skills.