PDA

View Full Version : A rather unusual versus thread (Conan vs. Tomb of Horrors)

Fortuna
2012-05-03, 01:59 AM
So. We've all seen Beowulf vs. Odysseus and Batman vs. Superman and WH40K vs. everything. We see just about every pairing the Playground's diseased minds (not least mine) can throw up. And after all that, I thought hey, let's try something different. So here's something different.

In the first corner we have the Tomb of Horrors, of fame and infamy. The Tomb of Horrors is roughly as written in the orignal 1e AD&D module, though other version are fair game for 'this is different, and might change the outcome' discussions.

In the other corner we have Conan the Cimmerian, likewise famed and infamous. Conan is as depicted in the original Howard stories, and just like then his motive is pretty simple - loot.

Conan hears of the Tomb somehow, and sets out to raid it for all it's worth. He has no magic trinkets, no companions, just his wits, his blade and near-superhuman endurance and strength. What happens next?

Killer Angel
2012-05-03, 02:22 AM
A tie.
Conan cannot beat the tomb (i believe some passages are impossible to pass for our cimmerian), but he won't be killed.
With some bruise, he will abandon the quest, cursing all those ancient wizards.

Starwulf
2012-05-03, 05:12 AM
Perhaps switch it to the worlds largest dungeon?(I can't actually think of it's name, I'm pretty it's just "worlds largest" or something like that). That is more of an endurance test only kind of thing then Tomb of Horrors.

Tiki Snakes
2012-05-03, 08:10 AM
I'm not entirely convinced Conan was ever dumb enough to walk into the Tomb of Horrors.

Conan wins via the wargames strategy.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CJiMltRI5UQ/TUWv0Hz_T4I/AAAAAAAAWcY/HiILgHu7a9Y/s1600/wargames-quote-not-to-play.jpg

pendell
2012-05-03, 08:53 AM
Conan was noted for his cunning , his resourcefulness, and his complete willingness to run like a little schoolgirl when he couldn't win. I have several volumes of 'The Savage Sword of Conan' at home. Although he had a code of conduct towards the opposite sex, he was completely free of the 'knightly' code of conduct seen by many of his opponents and allies in the books. He didn't have any fear of running from a fight, or of ambushing an enemy, or of attacking an enemy at a disadvantage. Robert E. Howard's Conan was at least as much D&D Rogue as Barbarian.

If the module is played straight, Conan will eventually realize he doesn't have the ability to pass, and leave.

If Robert E. Howard was writing the story, Conan would encounter allies who had the skills he lacked in the Tomb. They would work together to bypass the traps , and Conan would triumph.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

dehro
2012-05-03, 09:03 AM
what Pendell said

if it were movie Conan, Conan would die horribly, and Gygax would laugh from the hereafter..laugh so hard every gamer would hear him in his sleep.

Mixt
2012-05-03, 09:52 AM
Maybe there's treasure hidden in the statue's mouth?
*Checks the statue's mouth*
Nope, no treasure, just a Sphere of annihi-OH SH*T!!!

Movie Conan in action.

Mordar
2012-05-03, 05:21 PM
Maybe there's treasure hidden in the statue's mouth?
*Checks the statue's mouth*
Nope, no treasure, just a Sphere of annihi-OH SH*T!!!

Movie Conan in action.

No no no no no.

CtB movie version: "No snakes. No moons. No interest. I think I'll go find that blonde Valayria..."

CtD movie version: "Malack, climb in the mouth and see if there's treasure." [Sound effect as Malack is annihilated] "Good, now that that's finished, let's go see about raising that blonde Valayria from the dead..."

CtSOS* version: "Um...I let the tomb take me prisoner so I can break out instead of breaking in? Can someone bring my detangler? I've got just the most horrible knots in my hair!"

- M

* - Conan the Soap Opera Star