View Full Version : What's a Thri-Keen?

Thump
2012-05-03, 10:33 AM
:smallconfused:

Igneel
2012-05-03, 10:38 AM
One of these...
http://ikesharpless.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Thri-kreen-by-Jason-A.-Engle.jpg

Basically a four-armed insect humanoid with 2 HD and pending on amount of psionics a +1 LA (for none), or +2 LA (naturally psionic). Generally used for Multiweapon fighting builds/Jumping themed builds as they have four arms able to wield weapons and a high as heck Jump modifier.

Telonius
2012-05-03, 10:56 AM
They are yellow in the picture because about 50% of them tend to be composed entirely of cheese. :smallbiggrin:

danzibr
2012-05-03, 11:10 AM
One of these...
http://ikesharpless.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Thri-kreen-by-Jason-A.-Engle.jpg

Basically a four-armed insect humanoid with 2 HD and pending on amount of psionics a +1 LA (for none), or +2 LA (naturally psionic). Generally used for Multiweapon fighting builds/Jumping themed builds as they have four arms able to wield weapons and a high as heck Jump modifier.
Hmm, the first Thri-Kreen I'd ever seen (well, outside of an old online game called Panumbra) was in XPH. Where's the the non-psionic version?

Snowbluff
2012-05-03, 11:15 AM
They are yellow in the picture because about 50% of them tend to be composed entirely of cheese. :smallbiggrin:

After the last war, many Thri-Keen were injured. The one that aren't entirely cheese, are 50% cheese themselves.

Seriously, they can be abused pretty hard. 4 arms is the holy grail of being a melee, and they get it cheap.

For example, a Revenant Blade costs like 4 feats and 5 levels for getting effectively 2 zweihanders, while TKs do it in 2 racial HD and a single (Buyoffable) LA. In addition, the get some pretty good ability mods for a Multiweapon/TWF melee.

Snowbluff
2012-05-03, 11:19 AM
Hmm, the first Thri-Kreen I'd ever seen (well, outside of an old online game called Panumbra) was in XPH. Where's the the non-psionic version?

It's in MM2 and Shining South. Really, it's the same thing, just with no Bonus PP, or Psi Powers. It's LA changes to one.

Igneel
2012-05-03, 11:32 AM
It's in MM2 and Shining South. Really, it's the same thing, just with no Bonus PP, or Psi Powers. It's LA changes to one.

Along with Savage Species near the very back. If memory serves it gives both versions.

SimonMoon6
2012-05-03, 11:33 AM
And don't forget their importance in a certain Christmas song:

"We Thri-Keen of Orient are..."

Cieyrin
2012-05-03, 02:22 PM

I wouldn't use the MM2 version, as it runs on both 3.0 rules and psionics, which I believe the Savage Species version does as well. I'd stick to the XPH and Shining South versions for the most up to date stats.

Psyren
2012-05-03, 02:32 PM
Just popping in to note that it's "Thri-Kreen."

Also, they make great Soulbows.

eggs
2012-05-03, 02:33 PM
Between the arms and the crazy jump bonuses, they are basically Tiger Claw: the race.

Snowbluff
2012-05-03, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't use the MM2 version, as it runs on both 3.0 rules and psionics, which I believe the Savage Species version does as well. I'd stick to the XPH and Shining South versions for the most up to date stats.

The Non-Psionic Thri-Kreen from MM2 only differ by that fact the Exotic Weapon Proficiencies are feats rather than a Weapon Familiarity. Without the Psionics, using the 3.0 rules doesn't matter at all. :smalltongue:

As for the Clawlock... Multitasking. Shoot 2 Eldritch Blasts/turn, or shoot one at point blank with clawing a guy, or use 2 of your arms for an Invocation. :smallcool:

Thump
2012-05-03, 02:45 PM
One of these...

:O

What are the stats for the non-psionic one?

Snowbluff
2012-05-03, 02:48 PM
:O

What are the stats for the non-psionic one?

The same as the Psionic one, without the PP or Psionic Powers. 2 Str, 4 Dex, -2 int, 2 wis, -4 cha (?).

Lateral
2012-05-03, 02:49 PM
Cheesy? Really? Even the nonpsionic versions have two racial hit dice and LA +1. That's a pretty tough pill to swallow, the four arms is only useful for some builds, and even for the builds it's good for... really, they're not going to out-damage a standard charging build anyway, so what's the problem? I will agree that they're pretty much the ultimate race for Tiger Claw, what with all the extra attacks and the +30 to jump checks, and it doesn't hurt that you only lose 2 ML (one from the LA, one from the two hit dice), but even then I wouldn't call it cheese in any sense of the word. Of course, Multitasking is cheesy, but that's because Savage Species was badly balanced.

Thump
2012-05-03, 02:49 PM
The same as the Psionic one, without the PP or Psionic Powers. 2 Str, 4 Dex, -2 int, 2 wis, -4 cha (?).

Could you copy the entry for me from the book, with the stats and modifiers and all that? I want to use this in a game, but I don't have the book.

Psyren
2012-05-03, 02:53 PM
Could you copy the entry for me from the book, with the stats and modifiers and all that? I want to use this in a game, but I don't have the book.

They are not OGL, thus it isn't legal for us to quote their statblock verbatim. You'll have to acquire the books listed above for that, or hope it turns up in a google search.

Snowbluff
2012-05-03, 02:53 PM

I don't know about the legality of the race, you'll have to ask someone else. Really, any source that has it should be fine. Very little changed for the non-psi version.

Cieyrin
2012-05-03, 02:54 PM
Also, they make great Soulbows.

I really need to make a Soulbow sometime, Thri-Kreen or otherwise.

As for Multitasking, it's nice enough, it's just expensive when you don't otherwise need Int, as getting your Int up to 17 to deal with the Int penalty can be a real bear.