PDA

View Full Version : My House Rules looking Feedback

Jamin
2012-05-03, 02:15 PM
So I will be starting a new campaign today. So I decided to write down some house rule ideas that I have toying with. I would like to know 2 things 1st if you like the rules and 2nd if they are clear.

Ben’s House Rules
Skills

If two skills are combined into one it means that all tasks that used both skills now use the new skill. The new skill has all the same rules as the old skills ie a max of 4 skill points at level may be put into each new skill.
If a class has one or both of the combined skills as a listed class skill the new skill is now a class skill
If a Prestige class, feat or something else has one or more of the old skills as a requirement (ie 6 ranks in spot and 5 in listen) you need ranks in the new skill equal to the highest requirement.
Spot and listen are combined into Perception (wis)
Hide and Move silently are combined into Stealth (dex)
Disable Device and Open Lock are combined into Disable Device (dex)
Intimidate and Bluff are combined into Bluff (cha)
Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) and Knowledge history are combined into Knowledge (History)(int)
Knowledge(local) becomes Knowledge( General) which allows a roll for all other knowledge skills at a -10 or higher penalty
All Classes have Knowledge (General) as a class skill

Feats
If two feats are combined into one it means that all the benefits of before are now gained from the new feat. The new feat has all the same rules as the old feats.
If a Prestige class, feat or something else has one or more of the old feats as a requirement you need only the new feat.
Point Blank Shot and Precise shot are combined into Point Blank shot
Dodge and mobility are combined into Dodge
Quick Draw and Rapid Reload are combined into Quick Draw
Improved Two Weapon-Fighting and Two Weapon Defense are combined into Improved Two Weapon
Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization are combined into Weapon Focus
Greater Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Specialization are combined into Greater Weapon Focus
Greater Weapon Focus now needs a Base Attack bonus of +6 not fighter level 8
Greater Tow Weapon fighting now gives you +2 to your AC when fighting with two weapons
Spring Attack in addition to its printed benefit allows you to Full Attack in melee as a Standard Action
Shot on the Run in addition to its printed benefit allows you to Full Attack at range as a Standard Action
Power Attack gives an addition +1 damage at no cost to your Attack bonus
Combat Casting allows you to cast touch spells without provoking an AoO from the victim but other hostiles still can
Cleave now allows you to hit up 3 foes each attack
Great Cleave is removed

Spells/ Psionics
Bonus spells/power points for high Ability scores are removed
If a spell level has the spells per day listed as 0 treat it as one
Casting on the defensive is removed.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-05-03, 02:46 PM
All good except Cleave is probably too good? Everybody would want it.
Make it a standard action, and add Great Cleave to use it on every attack.
Create "large cleave" to make it hit all around you.

More HRs you may like:
-Improved, Greater and Perfect (epic) TWF are combined and they work as "Perfect TWF". Basically this feat adds iteratives with your secondary weapon
-Monks Flurry may be used on single attacks, spring attack or even AoOs, but only once/round
-Toughness and Improved Toughness are combined into Toughness
-Endurance and DieHard are combined into Endurance
-Lightning Reflexes, Great Fortitude and Iron Will are combined into "resilience"
-Martial Study gives you 2 known maneuvers instead of one. Can be taken as many times as you want.
-Font of Inspiration gives you 3 bonus Inspiration Points. Can be taken multiple times

Also, reducing spells per day or spells known will not actually reduce a caster's actual effectiveness.
Instead, give 'em access to higher levels of spells every 3 levels instead of 2.
That is, 3rd level spells at LV6, 4th at LV9, 5th at LV12, 6th at LV15, 7th at LV18 and 8th (called "epic spells) at LV 21

Ceaon
2012-05-03, 02:55 PM

What do you mean by this rule exactly? If it is a straight improvement, Power Attack doesn't really need it. If it is instead of the ability to decrease attack bonus = increase damage, than this makes Power Attack completely useless.

Alaris
2012-05-03, 03:04 PM
Spring Attack in addition to its printed benefit allows you to Full Attack in melee as a Standard Action
Shot on the Run in addition to its printed benefit allows you to Full Attack at range as a Standard Action

OUCH! Oh my god, OUCH.

I can tell you're trying to improve non-casters, to make them more on par... but cripes.

Full Attack Action becomes a standard action in these cases is... well, it can easily be overpowered. There are countless ways to gain additional standard actions... so multiple full attacks in a single round is in your future.

I'd honestly not allow these... but it's your call.

Jamin
2012-05-03, 03:10 PM
I think I will remove the power attack thing I was on the fence about it. The removal of the bonus spells is done largely because we never do more than 2 combat encounters a day and the spellcasters can just cast a spell every round.

Vladislav
2012-05-03, 03:12 PM
For combining skills, I went a bit further than you. I also found it useful to combine:
Climb, Swim and Jump into Athletics
Escape Artist, Tumble and Balance into Acrobatics
Disguise and Forgery into Fraud
Knowledge (Nature and Dungeoneering) into Knowledge (Natural)
Knowledge (Local, History, Nob/Roy and Geography) into Knowledge (Social)
Knowledge (Religion and The Planes) into Knowledge (Esoterica)
Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft into Knowledge (Mystic)

One thing I specifically avoided doing, is combining any of the social skills (Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate, Sense Motive, etc). I find it useful to have different social skills to cover different situations. Talking nicely to someone is different from tricking them, which in turn is different from scaring them into submission.

Jamin
2012-05-03, 03:17 PM
OUCH! Oh my god, OUCH.

I can tell you're trying to improve non-casters, to make them more on par... but cripes.

Full Attack Action becomes a standard action in these cases is... well, it can easily be overpowered. There are countless ways to gain additional standard actions... so multiple full attacks in a single round is in your future.

I'd honestly not allow these... but it's your call.

By the time you start getting 3 attacks spellcasters are way beyond them in terms of power. I really don't this as very op in comparison I mean a full attack can generally only do damage also most of the ways to get more actions are spells so if convinces spelcasters to do more buffing that rock rock on

Fitz10019
2012-05-03, 03:31 PM
It's mostly clear. Punctuation would help -- add periods, or make each rule a bullet point.

Combat Casting allows you to cast touch spells without provoking an AoO from the victim but other hostiles still can
Cleave now allows you to hit up 3 foes each attack
Great Cleave is removed

Power Attack definitely needs an example. It sounds like I cannot adjust my attack roll, and all I get is a +1 to damage. So it's as good as Weapon Focus. Normal Power Attack is actually useful, and not just a feat tax leading to Cleave. You've ramped up Cleave, but turned Power Attack into a tax. Unless I'm misreading it.

Cleave should be clarified to say one extra attack per target killed (or reduced to 0 hit points), limit 3 per round (as you have it; or 1 per X of BAB, as my suggestion).

Bonus spells/power points for high Ability scores are removed

By removing daily bonus spell slots, do casters go from SAD to ZAD (zero attribute dependent)? I imagine you will have high Con and high Dex casters with this rule. Under it, I can make an Int 14 Wizard and not worry about casting 5th-level spells until character level 9 when I can easily afford an Int-boosting item. You may want to clarify that DCs are still based on high ability scores (although a buff-oriented caster will not care).

Telonius
2012-05-03, 03:36 PM
I would carve out an exception to "No casting defensively:" spells with range of Touch. Otherwise you've effectively removed touch spells from the game for non-Wizards, and forced all Wizards who want to use them to cast Spectral Hand first.

EDIT: Also, it has an unusual side effect... if you're not going to be casting defensively at all, then there's really not much purpose in putting any ranks in Concentration. That "skill tax" is removed for all casters.