PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Thri-Kreen Monk 2 (converted)

Thump
2012-05-03, 04:23 PM
How good would a Thri-Keen Monk be, with optimization? I want to make an ECL 5 melee character, since I'll be the only melee person.

I've came up with base stats with the point build our DM gave us (35 point buy)

STR 14 +2
DEX 17 +4 racial +2 item +1 level
CON 16

INT 12 -2

WIS 15 +2 racial +2 item

CHA 10 -4

What could I do to make this even more OP?

Snowbluff
2012-05-03, 04:57 PM
The problem is that FoB isn't that good with TKs. The extra arms aren't helping you at all. Being the exclusive melee in the party, I would say avoid monk.

I would say a Natural Weapon focused fighter would do better. This way you could actually take advantage of what works with the TK's strengths. You can do crazy Multiweapon antics, while rolling in some tripping/AoO or something good like that to get your racial traits to work for you rather than against you.

EDIT: Actually , the PF Fighter seems pretty good for TK. The Armor CF let's them put more of that dex into their AC, the weapon damage bonuses stack great with a lot of hits.

I'm going to say this right now. Take Combat Reflexes either way. Find a good way of using your AoO attack consistently, like Jack B. Quick as a monk, or a Spike Chain as a fighter.

marcielle
2012-05-03, 05:30 PM
What basis do you want for the character? Do you just really wanna be a TK? Or a monk? Cos monks are now better for ranged than meelee.

For natural attacks, you could try a Natural Weapon Ranger from the APG. Take Aspect of the Beast at first level and you are looking at 5d4 +5xSTR with no penalty to hit since claws and bites are both primary. That's before the adding in Power attack and Improved Natural attack. Also, being spread out across 5 attacks, Power attack is basically giving you +10 damage over the 2 or 4 it's giving other meelees. Though, you are are in a position where you really need to be full attacking to use your full potential.

Obviously, you wanna drop Dex and pump Str if you take this.

And finally, if you are a monk as the only meelee, there is a minor chance you will be chewed up so fast your character sheet would still be hot off the printer.