PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Poison Rules

Gorfnod
2012-05-03, 05:26 PM
So I have a player interested in poison in our brand-new PF-only game and I want to get a few things clear before I respond to him.

1. He is playing an alchemist with Feral Mutagen and until he gets poison immunity was wondering if he could apply Injury type poisons to his claws and bite attack?

2. It seems like PF has some decent rules on multiple doses of poison stacking but he proposed this and got my attention. When he gets the Sticky Poison discovery and the Swift Poisoning class feature, he can effectively have 3 poison attacks every round for as much poison as he can afford. Rotation would be as such

{table]Round| Bite | Claw 1 | Claw 2 | Swift Action | Poison DC
1 | 2 doses | 2 doses | 2 doses |Apply Posion to Bite | 14
2 | 2 doses | 1 dose| 1dose | Apply Poison to Claw 1| 20
3 | 1 dose | 2 doses |0 doses | Apply Poison to Claw 2 | 26
4 | 0 doses | 1 dose | 2 doses | Apply Poison to Bite | 32
[/table]
Repeat till dead.

He gets 3 doses of poison for each application of poison due to sticky poisoning. The table shows the number of doses left after the attacks for that round and with swift poisoning he is able to reapply to one attack every third round and keep the poison on constantly.

For this I assumed a base poison DC of 10. Pathfinder indicates that each additional dose of poison increases the DC by +2, so assuming that he always hits (not likely but just for this exercise) the poison DC would increase by 6 every round. This means that if they don't make the save fairly early and end the poison that it will become practically impossible to stop. Am I reading the stacking rules right?

I would like to note that all of my information on poisons was from the Pathfinder SRD, specifically this page Poison - Pathfinder_OGC (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/poison).

Starbuck_II
2012-05-03, 05:39 PM
For this I assumed a base poison DC of 10. Pathfinder indicates that each additional dose of poison increases the DC by +2, so assuming that he always hits (not likely but just for this exercise) the poison DC would increase by 6 every round. This means that if they don't make the save fairly early and end the poison that it will become practically impossible to stop. Am I reading the stacking rules right?

I would like to note that all of my information on poisons was from the Pathfinder SRD, specifically this page Poison - Pathfinder_OGC (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/poison).

Yes but note depending on the poison: "Fortunately, just one successful save cures the character of all three doses of the poison."

Poison at low levels/cheap I suggest for him (base DC and primary effect):
Dhabba Spittle: (Base DC 12) 1d6 acid and neaseates
Rainbow Jellyfish Toxin: (Base DC 14) staggers
Flayleaf Spider Venom: (Base DC11) 1d3 Con
Med Spider: (Base DC 14) 1d2 Str
Small Centipede: (Base DC 11) 1 dex

Chained Birds
2012-05-03, 09:42 PM
1. He can apply injury poisons to weapons and natural attacks if I remember correctly. Though, without Poison Use, he might accidentally poison himself; which hopefully the Alchemist isn't using an Archetype that trades it away.

2. Seems right, though as Starbuck_II said, it just takes one save to ruin all your hard work.

Just note that the GP required to keep up with both dose-stacking and getting better poisons as time goes on will cause a major toll on the character even if he makes these poisons himself. Though getting a poisonous animal as a pet might help in obtaining a constant source of your favorite stat damaging poison.

Ashiel
2012-05-03, 10:26 PM
Plus a potion of delay poison is only 50 gp.

Starbuck_II
2012-05-03, 10:38 PM
Plus a potion of delay poison is only 50 gp.

Delay is dangerous because you don't get to save till it ends. You have to hope the DC is reasonable by ten or you make a huge save you can't make.

Against the OP's alchemist, not saving now means possibly failing later.

Gorfnod
2012-05-04, 07:45 AM
Well looking through the poison stuff again I guess there aren't any poisons as cheap as there were in 3.5 so it is a little more cost prohibitive than I thought.

Seems like the poison stacking mechanic is correct as I posted it. Man that does seem like a pretty decent upgrade to poison. Can't wait to see where this goes.