PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Simple Overhaul

Babale
2012-05-03, 07:12 PM
My friends, I have had a vision. A vision of a D&D variant! I could go on and on about how I got the idea and why, but that's not important. Instead, allow me to tell you what my idea is, and then share my plan of how to make it.

The goal of my project is simple: Make a D&D 3.5 variant that will be simple to learn, fun to play, and, perhaps "balanced". The goal of this balance isn't to ensure that all classes are at the same, strict power level; rather, it is to ensure that every role can be filled by at least one class, and that every class can do well in, at the very least, one role. Once the core system is complete, perhaps we can make a campaign setting as well.

If all goes well, I plan to publish this overhaul as a PDF for everyone to use. It's not nearly as complex or nuanced as, say, Pathfinder, so I have no problem with giving it away. But I sure would appreciate help!

So, here are my design ideas:
Classes
I do like the basic D&D 3.5 class based system. It's simple, easy to learn, and allows customization through multiclassing, though not at the same level as point buy systems, which I believe is a good thing. My plan is to create, as a starting point, ten or so base classes. Classes will be further customized through a wide selection of alternate class features, Pathfinder style.

So what basic goals do I have for these classes? Well, my basic ideas are as follows:
1) Melee classes will have options. First, they will have more customization than caster classes at creation; second, they will have Tome of Battle style maneuvers, though ideally, for most classes, not quite so magical in nature.
2) Get rid of Vancian Casting. My favorite casting system in 3.5 is, by far, the Warlock. Warlocks are less abusable than full casters, and fit the standard high fantasy setting better.
3) In 3.5, multiclassing is either a great idea or a terrible idea. I want to get rid of that concept; multiclassing shouldn't be absolutely necessary for any class (Wizard) and it shouldn't be absolutely terrible for any class.
4) Make all forms of combat--magic, stealth, melee, etc--equally viable. Further, melee classes should get Nice Things (TM) outside of combat, just like casters do.
5) However, ensuring that all classes are viable should NOT come at the cost of flavor. A Wizard should not be a recolored Fighter, like in 4e; they should play totally differently.
6) Get rid of the dozens of base classes inherent to 3.5. Instead, allow enough flexibility to the base classes that any concept can be created easily.

Feats
Feats should never be a +1 to hit or a +2 to damage. The average character only gets 7 feats in her lifetime; each one should give her totally new abilities and make her play in a way that is totally different than another member of the same class without that feat. Double crit range on a selected weapon is fine as a bonus feat; it is not fine as one of the 7 defining features of the character. Further, I think customization is important. So perhaps melee classes will get some sort of weapon fighting feat, which they can customize, in order to make their own signature move.

Skills
3.5 has skills that no one would ever consider taking. This is a problem; skills should be overhauled so that there is no skill ever (class) MUST take, and no skill that no (class) would ever waste a point on.

Magic
As I said above, I consider Warlock casting to be the most flavorful and balanced form of casting. However, I don't believe that this should be the only form of casting; like D&D's Spontaneous and Prepared casters, I think this system needs a second form of casting. I have a few ideas, but that is definitely something to work on.

I also believe that player made spells are the best. So along with a spellbook for the lazy those thus inclined, I think a guideline for custom spell making is key.

How to Get This Done

I am very excited about this project, and will work on it alone if I must. However, I am not a powergamer; I do not have the keen sense of balance that many people on this board do. That is why I have turned here for help. Here is my plan for creating this project:

If there is enough interest, I will make a custom forum for us to work at. There will be four ranks of designers:

1) Novice Designer. These are the rank & file designers; they make suggestions and help work on items. Unlike other positions, they will not be assigned to any particular role; a designer can, for example, post on the Classes forum one day with a suggestion for the Rogue sneak attack progression, for example, and suggest a feat the next day.

2) Official Designer. These are the guys who take the suggestions made by the Novice Designers, put them together with their own ideas, and make the actual rules. Official Designers will be assigned to an area; for example, an Official Designer might be assigned to Spells. So he will take suggestions from everyone in the Melf's Acid Arrow thread, decide what sort of balance works for that spell, and create it. An Official Designer only holds his position in certain sections; an Official Designer of Spells, for example, is only a Novice Designer in the Feat section.

3) Lead Designers. These are the people in charge of green-lighting projects, making judgement calls, etc. Like the Official Designers, they only hold this position in their assigned sections. Within the forum, they will be moderators of those sections. They can also assign Official Designers specific things to create.

4) Project Heads. Me, and, if we get big enough, a Lead Designer who the community votes for. Project Heads ensure that all the different ideas mesh well together and fit the overall goals of the system. They have final say over everything, and Administrator powers on the forum.

I understand that all of the above might be a bit confusing, so let me give you a couple of examples.

Acid Arrow
Joe the Novice Designer finds the forum and decides he wants to help. He registers, waits for an administrator to approve his request, and then logs onto the forum. He goes to the "Spell" section, finds the "Suggestions" thread, and says, "I have an idea for a spell dealing acid damage over time at range. I call it "Acid Arrow". Fred the Lead Designer reads this post and says, "Yes, we are short on ranged damage spells, or damage over time spells. I'll approve your request to post a thread". Joe the Novice Designer posts a thread titled "Acid Arrow: Work in Progress" in the "Spells" section. Fred the Lead Designer approves the thread's creation. Joe the Novice, three other Novice Designers, and two Official Designers collaborate and make a bunch of ideas. Three days later, the thread has 25 or so posts. Fred sends a PM to Jenny the Official Designer and tells her, "Hey, the spell Acid Arrow seems pretty good. Why don't you take a look at the thread and make something coherent out of it?". Jenny goes to the thread, reads the various suggestions, and writes up the spell, Acid Arrow. Fred approves it and adds it to the Archive of Completed Spells.

Fog Cloud
Fred the Lead Designer from earlier looks at the Archive of Completed Spells and decides that what's missing is a spell that creates an obscuring cloud of fog. He sends Jenny the Official Designer a PM saying, "We need a low level spell that obscures an area with fog. Can you get on that?" Jenny decides that she can, and writes up the Fog Cloud spell. Unlike Joe, Jenny can post threads in the Spell section without approval, because she is an Official Designer there. When she is done, Joe checks the spell over, decides that it is good, and adds it to the Archive of Completed Spells.

Burning Hands
Jenny looks over the Archive of Completed Spells and decides that what's missing is an Area of Effect spell at level one. She writes up the spell Burning Hands and submits it for Lead Designer approval. Fred, however, thinks that any Area of Effect spell is too powerful for first level, and he tells her so. Jenny discusses this with the other Lead Designer in the spells section, Ted. Ted disagrees with Fred. Since there is a tie in the number of votes, Ted and Fred ask the Project Heads. They discuss it among themselves and finally decide that a 1st level Area of Effect spell is appropriate, but should include a drawback, such as giving a save. The spell is then approved and posted.

Obviously, things like classes are going to be a little harder to make than spells, feats, or maneuvers, and will need closer cooperation. This is where the Project Heads earn their wages (figuratively speaking); they assign a lead designer or two to each class, and work closely with them to make it. Once the class is formed, it will be posted for review, at which point the lower level designers can give their valuable input.

So what do you guys think? Are you interested? Can I sign you up? :P

VGLordR2
2012-05-03, 07:29 PM
I honestly believe that Dungeons and Dragons needs a simpler system. I've grown up with it, and I love it, but it seems to be very hard for new players to pick up. There are so many rules to digest. I would be honored to help you create this simpler, more balanced version of my favorite game. I believe that, if done properly, we can attract a fair number of people who find these rules simpler. Also, as we will be reworking the system almost from the ground up, it will be easier to spot loopholes and other game-breaking items as they appear. If you will have me, I will work very hard to help you accomplish this.

Babale
2012-05-03, 07:37 PM
Welcome aboard, mate! I agree that this system would be attractive to new players, yes.

Babale
2012-05-04, 04:26 PM
Forum is up! (http://dndoverhaul.proboards.com/index.cgi)

Please, if you're interested, sign up so we can start working. I'll start recruiting people from other forums next week, but I wanted to give The Playground the first chance to join.