PDA

View Full Version : Monstrous Races for anti-human game

GraakosGraakos
2012-05-03, 08:00 PM
I'm DMing a game where the players will be starting as monstrous races, fighting against humans waging war on them (very Fey-vibe). They're starting lvl 9 (counting LA) and I was wondering what kind of races I should watch for abuse and what races I should suggest to them.

House ruled: Vulnerability to cold iron/10, but enemies with such will be uncommon

It's mostly a game for fun and ridiculous situations, but I'm worried about one powergamer ruining the whole thing, so I thought I'd ask the experts in the playground for advice. You guys seem to know everything.

Flickerdart
2012-05-03, 08:05 PM
Monstrous races generally suck. As long as you are requiring them to use listed RHD and LA (and thus not allowing races or templates with LA -) they're going to be pretty underwhelming.

awa
2012-05-03, 08:18 PM
in general baring a few exceptions the pcs will be weaker then average, the thing to be careful about arnt pcs who are to strong but who are to weak pixis not bad the la is harsh but you get a lot for it. vampires on the other hand are brutally bad with an la of 8 and lots of very annoying weakness to add insult to injury.

Randomguy
2012-05-03, 09:19 PM
Watch out for jermlaine's in MM2. I don't think they have any L.A, they've got less then 1 hit dice, and all of their stats except dex and wis (which get +6) suck. They're basically (unintentially) built to be druid-zillas.

On the other hand, all it really gives is a bonus to wisdom and the ability to speak to rats, and they need at least 14 int or they don't have a language at all, (other then druidic) which would be kind of fun to RP.

They're not crazy overpowered, but they're very good (for clerics and druid), especially compared to other players with L.A, so your choice on whether to recommend, watch out for or ban them.

awa
2012-05-03, 10:01 PM
i was already to go saying la- is different then la 0 but the 3.5 conversion rules indicate la zero. their powerful as druids but not game breakingly so at least under normal circumstances but in a game where the social penalties of being an ugly little fey are nonexsistant and most of the parties substantially weaker then normal on top of being a druid that does definitely look like a problem race.

in regards to pixies if they have unlimited special arrows they could easily break the game just by spamming their save or lose arrows.

Kerilstrasz
2012-05-04, 01:09 AM
you may want to watch out for pixies... wonderfull but nasty little thingies!
MM1 under Sprites section

Pilo
2012-05-04, 05:16 AM
Elves may do the trick, no LA and a fey based background.
Killoren (Race of the wild) are fey with no LA.

Particle_Man
2012-05-04, 11:32 AM
Say that you may be making changes post-chargen.

Ask to see the Power-Gamer's character sheet.

Make changes as appropriate after seeing what P-G is trying to do, if it would ruin your game.

Urpriest
2012-05-04, 04:14 PM
Since it's a monstrous campaign, I'd set a minimum LA/RHD for characters. Otherwise your powergamer might decide to be an Elf or the like.