PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Daemon's Seal Race: The Uazi PEACH

Virdish
2012-05-03, 11:20 PM
The Uazi
http://i.imgur.com/IKsbil.jpg

The Uazi are a diminutive race that lives in the Great Plains. They are not a hardy race and survive out of sheer will alone. Their minds are their only strength and they have honed it to a razor sharp weapon. In their natural form the frail Uazi will live no longer then twenty years. Other races however live much longer. The Uazi long ago learned to project their mind into others and their bodies are uniquely adapted to remain alive long enough for them to take over the creature.

Personality: Uazi are creatures of chaotic emotions under an outer image of controlled emotions. Uazi value nothing more then the power of their mind and hiding the frailty of their form. They make quick allies but will often turn on an ally if it is beneficial to them. However if they plan to take that allies body they will convince him that they are his favorite friend.

Physical Description: Uazi are small and frail. They stand no taller then three feet and a plump or muscular Uazi is rare since their hearts just can't support the added weight. Their skin is tinted gold which helps them in their desert climate.

Alignment: Uazi tend heavily towards chaos, so much so that it is difficult for them to gather in large groups because they are all heading in different directions. Uazi are fairly equally split down the middle between good and evil though few are neutral as a life that short demands one choose a side and stick to it. Most neutral Uazi have already assumed a host.

Relations: Most people are wary of an Uazi who has not taken a host as there is little indication as to which set of beliefs they hold. Uazi however the exact opposite in that they trust almost every other race, except the Teral who to the Uazi have no place in Nerius.

Uazi Lands: Uazi are a nomadic people who roam most of the middle desert that seperates the continent of Eridia. These nomadic tribes collectively call themselves by their ancient name, the fourth tribe, and meet every four years to discuss things of import. However the first week of this meeting is often spent figuring out which Uazi is representing which individual tribe this year.

Religion: Uazi worship Eridia, the goddess of the earth who sacrificed her own body that her children, the original tribes, would have a place to live.

Adventurers: Uazi rarely adventure outside of the deserts unless they are looking for a new body.

Uazi Racial Traits
+2 Intelligence, -2 Strength. Uazi are highly intelligent but they are physically much weaker then the other races.

Small: As a Small creature, a Uazi gains a +1 size bonus to
Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus
on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use,
and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a
Medium character.
Base Land Speed is 20 feet.
+2 racial bonus to Bluff, Knowledge, and Profession checks.
Heat Endurance: Uazi gain a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of hot weather.
Naturally Psionic: An Uazi gains 1 bonus power point at 1st level.
Mind Spear*: The Uazi are unable to live past in their original bodies for longer then 20 years. This caused a unique adaptation. The Uazi may take the body of any sentient being with 0LA. The target must either be willing or be unable to defend itself, such as being helpless. An unwilling subject makes a will save verses the Uazi (DC 15), or have their bodies taken over by the Uazi. Once a host has been taken the Uazi must bond it's mind to the host either by a merging of the two minds or by suppressing the hosts mind. This process takes two weeks. The host body retains all of it's physical attributes but takes on the mental attributes of the Uazi. A Uazi who uses this may choose whether to put it's former class levels into the hosts class or it's own original class.
*Special: A Uazi who inhabits a host is considered both an Uazi and it's hosts race for spells or effects that target a specific race. Once the Uazi takes a host he may never use his mind spear again as his mind is too fractured to complete the process again.
Mind Jab: Uazi have learned to project a tiny bit of the powers they use when occupying a new body via mind spear and instead use it to somewhat influence an enemy. This grants them the psi-like ability Psionic Charm and Mind Thrust, both usable once per day. Usage of either fatigues the Uazi for two rounds. An Uazi's manifester level for these powers is equal to his HD.
Mind Probe: Uazi can reach out with their mind and feel mental energy. As a free action that provokes an attack of opportunity a Uazi may extend his consciousness out. While doing so a Uazi is treated as if he had blindsense out to 10 feet, but only for creatures with an intelligence score of 3 (usually considered the minimum for sentience) or higher. He can also distinguish the race of any creature within it's range. A Uazi who is inhabiting a host and is subject to this ability is seen as both a Uazi and a member of the hosts race. This last a number of turns equal concentration max 1/2 HD +Int mod. A creature trying to disguise themselves can make a bluff check, opposed by the Uazi's Int.
Mind Crystal: The general "looseness" of their mind makes Uazi particularly adept with psicrystals. Any psicrystal they possess, either via a feat or class levels, gains 1 bonus psionic feat.
Favored Class: Psionic Warrior

Empedocles
2012-05-03, 11:31 PM
This needs a lot more stuff...I've put an edited version below. Just my take on them. As you wrote it...there's almost no reason to play one. I just added in a few abilities and reformatted so it looks like the PHB races.

Uazi Racial Traits
+2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution. Uazi are highly intelligent however their bodies are frail and leave them easily injured.

Small: As a Small creature, a Uazi gains a +1 size bonus to
Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus
on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use,
and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a
Medium character.
Base Land Speed is 20 feet.
+2 racial bonus to Bluff, Knowledge, and Profession checks.
Naturally Psionic: An uazi gains 1 bonus power point at 1st level.
Mind Spear*: The Uazi are unable to live past in their original bodies for longer then 20 years. This caused a unique adaptation. The Uazi may take the body of any of the original tribes. The target must either be willing or be unable to defend itself, such as being unconscious. An unwilling subject makes a will save verses the Uazi (DC 15), or have their bodies taken over by the Uazi. Once a host has been taken the Uazi must bond it's mind to the host either my a merging of the two minds or by suppressing the hosts mind. This process takes two weeks. The host body retains all of it's physical attributes but takes on the mental attributes of the Uazi. A Uazi who uses this may choose whether to put it's former class levels into the hosts class or it's own original class.
*Special: A Uazi who inhabits a host is considered both an Uazi and it's hosts race for spells or effects that target a specific race. Once the Uazi takes a host he may never use his mind spear again as his mind is too fractured to complete the process again.
Mind Jab: Uazi have learned to project a tiny bit of the powers they use when occupying a new body via mind spear and instead use it to somewhat influence an enemy. This grants them the psi-like ability Psionic Charm and Mind Thrust, both usable once per day. Usage of either fatigues the uazi for two rounds. An uazi's manifester level for these powers is equal to his HD.
Mind Crystal: The general "looseness" of their mind makes uazis particularly adept with psicrystals. Any psicrystal they possess, either via a feat or class levels, gains 1 bonus psionic feat.
Favored Class: Psionic Warrior

Virdish
2012-05-04, 12:20 AM
Made the changes. That was actually something I thought about giving them. Well similar, I was thinking of the Mind Jab as more of an attack but I like keeping it similar to their mind spear and I don't know why I didn't make them naturally psionic as I thought about it before I posted them.

Empedocles
2012-05-04, 12:26 AM
Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2012-05-04, 06:38 AM
What are the "original tribes" that allow for Mind Spear?

Debby

Virdish
2012-05-04, 07:09 AM
It's a reference to human, ilari, lira, and narzul from my campaign world. They all came from one species but were scattered and evolved separately thus they are called tribes.

Larkas
2012-05-04, 08:42 AM
Take care with this part of the description:

The target must either be willing or be unable to defend itself, such as being unconscious.

Unconscious characters are automatically considered willing. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#aimingASpell) Maybe "such as being helpless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#helpless)" would be better.

Minor nitpicks:

-It might be interesting to flesh out their love life a little: either they mate before possessing other creatures or they would be extinct by now.

-There are a few textual errors there, something that should be easily fixed by running the text through a spell checker (I hate being a grammar Nazi, but alas, that's what I am).

-I guess it wasn't your intention, but just take a little care so your races' genesis doesn't resemble the Dark Sun one too much: in Athas, all humanoids descend from primordial halflings.

Anyways, I like this. Keep up the good work!

Virdish
2012-05-04, 10:25 AM
No it's not at all my intention to make this like that. Only 5 of the six major PC races are from the origin species. Think elves essentially. Every other humanoid was created seperately either by some deity or in the case of the teral one of the other ra.ces. Mating wise yes they do have mate before they take a new body as after they take a new body any offspring they may have will have the hosts DNA.

Xechon
2012-05-04, 11:44 AM
I want to know, do they live in the Great Plains, or in desert areas? If desert I recommend heat resistance like in the Desert Halfling (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Desert_Halflings) race in UA.

I'm not sure how the +2 profession will work, as it is a segmented skill. Its also maybe one of the worst skills in the game so it doesn't matter that much, but...

Mind Spear is going to take a lot more explanation, as to the abilities, levels, etc passed over, to which races can be transferred, and what happens after they take over a body (how does the race recognize and interact with each other, etc.)

Other than that, looks good.

Virdish
2012-05-04, 12:41 PM
I was originally thinking that they would retain a slight gold hue to their skin after they took over a body. Or perhaps they identify each other through mental contact. Sort of like the mind jab ability but instead kind of an iff type ability where they can send a sort of mental challenge to the mind of another being (perhaps it can be felt by other races.) If I did this an Uazi's mind would respond with a certain response when challenged this way. Both abilities would give a different feel after they took a host. One would be more secretive while the other would be visible to anyone with a decent intellect. I'll give them the desert resistance and I see your point about profession though I really don't know what else to give them. Their greatest power is their mind so it should be something to do with their cognizant functions. I'll look at editing mind spear so that it looks better and goes over the different features of the ability.

Debihuman
2012-05-04, 02:32 PM
It's a reference to human, ilari, lira, and narzul from my campaign world. They all came from one species but were scattered and evolved separately thus they are called tribes.

Since that is so particular to your campaign, you might want to say that the Uazi can only take those as hosts. Perhaps then you might want to edit this line: "*Special: A Uazi who inhabits a host is considered both an Uazi and it's hosts race for spells or effects that target a specific race. Once the Uazi takes a host he may never use his mind spear again as his mind is too fractured to complete the process again." Spells generally don't target race, they target "Type". Hold Person affects Humanoids but not Monstrous Humanoids for example.

Debby

Xechon
2012-05-04, 03:37 PM
Here's an idea, probably not good for balance, but...

Mind Probe A Uazi can reach out with his mind and feel mental energy. A Uazi is treated to have blindsight within 10 ft., but only for creatures with an Int score of 8 or higher. He can also destinguish what race the creature's conciousness is from. A creature trying to disguise themselves can make a bluff check, opposed by the Uazi's Int.

Empedocles
2012-05-04, 03:50 PM
Suggested image...

http://i.imgur.com/IKsbil.jpg

Virdish
2012-05-04, 04:34 PM
Perhaps if it's changed to be that he has to know a person is there to activate it. That would deal with the balance issue since blindsight is an awesome ability that isn't all that well negated by having it only against intelligent beings. For instance. Actually if we instead made it an amount of rounds per HD it may not be too off balancing though then they'd have a bunch of nice toys.

Mind Probe: Uazi can reach out with their mind and feel mental energy. As a free action that provokes an attack of opportunity a Uazi may extend his consciousness out. While doing so a Uazi is treated as if he had blindsight out to 10 feet, but only for creatures with an intelligence score of 3 (usually considered the minimum for sentience) or higher. He can also distinguish the race of any creature within it's range. A Uazi who is inhabiting a host and is subject to this ability is seen as both a Uazi and a member of the hosts race. This last a number of turns equal 1/2 HD +Int mod. A creature trying to disguise themselves can make a bluff check, opposed by the Uazi's Int.

Xechon
2012-05-04, 04:38 PM
The action it takes to activate also needs to be specified. And, yeah... I meant blindsense, not blindsight...whoops:smallredface:

Virdish
2012-05-04, 05:14 PM
In my redo I specified a Free action that provokes attacks of oppertunity.