PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Attended Items

SgtCarnage92
2012-05-04, 12:47 AM
This may seem like a stupid nit-picky question but I'm curious whether or not a sheathed weapon is considered attended for the sake of receiving a saving throw. The description for an attended object mentions "Held, touched, or worn." Is a sheathed weapon considered worn? I am asking in the context for using the spell "Peacebond" from Ultimate Combat.

Jeraa
2012-05-04, 12:58 AM
If an item is held, worn, wielded by, or attached to a character in any way, it is attended. A sheathed weapon on a characters belt is an attended object.

Ravens_cry
2012-05-04, 01:03 AM
If an item is held, worn, wielded by, or attached to a character in any way, it is attended. A sheathed weapon on a characters belt is an attended object.
What you said.
If it's on their person, it's an attended item.
I am sure great fun could be had discussing the fantastic physics of this, how powerful creatures exude a field in a minute radius around them that protects objects from certain kinds of harm.

Jeraa
2012-05-04, 01:08 AM
What you said.
If it's on their person, it's an attended item.
I am sure great fun could be had discussing the fantastic physics of this, how powerful creatures exude a field in a minute radius around them that protects objects from certain kinds of harm.

It does get a little strange when a piece of paper sitting on a table is burned up when hit by a fireball but that same paper, held by a character out in front of him, is totally unharmed unless that character rolls a natural 1 on the save. And even then, the paper may not be damaged (as the item damaged is determined randomly).

Ravens_cry
2012-05-04, 01:19 AM
It does get a little strange when a piece of paper sitting on a table is burned up when hit by a fireball but that same paper, held by a character out in front of him, is totally unharmed unless that character rolls a natural 1 on the save. And even then, the paper may not be damaged (as the item damaged is determined randomly).
Indeed. Apparently the field flows over and around the attended objects, see capes or your paper, but air acts as a perfect insulator, except when it doesn't in the case of dancing weapons, ioan stones, and animated shields.
Most curious.

SgtCarnage92
2012-05-04, 03:10 AM

Thank you. I was not expecting such a fast response to this one. Thanks for the definitive answer (it does however make the spell a good deal less effective, but that's what i wanted to know). This is what I was pretty sure was the case, but I wanted to confirm with those who are much more experienced.

And yes, a long discussion regarding the laws of physics and attended objects could be entertaining to say the least.

Larpus
2012-05-04, 10:54 AM
Well, I guess that the designer's idea was to emulate the character moving and trying to protect the item (the random thing is for when he actually can't).

Not saying that it doesn't create some absurd situations, which it sure does, especially when meta comes to play.

"Oh no! We've been surprised in the night...everyone, quickly, touch everything you own!!"