PDA

View Full Version : build advice

killianh
2012-05-04, 01:39 AM
I currently have a level 4 gestalt gnome character with Factotum 4\swashbuckler 3\warblade 1. I'm planning on advancing both Factotum and Warblade until I reach level eight. At that point I'm not going to advance Factotum any further, but (regardless of build strength) I'm advancing Warblade and something else. The questions are:

1) what should that something else be?
2) Item-wise what would be good?
3) what would be best for my spells with factotum\manoeuvres with Warblade?
4) good feats for the character?
5) any other suggestions?

Stats are currently STR 14, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 16, WIS 12 CHA 10

My original role was skill monkey with some side fighting techniques, but RP wise things kept coming up making it more likely for my guy to start putting some focus on melee fighting and backup utility spells. The character tries to learn and get better at everything though, particularly unique abilities. I was originally thinking of taking an Erudite StP to continue with, but I'm not sure if its better to do that or take a PrC that continues and builds off of what I already have. Fitting with this what would be the general advice?

I'm not looking for a total rebuild or anything like that, just a good continuation of what I have so far.

AzraeltheFalle
2012-05-04, 05:02 AM
Could you perhaps post your current feats? What optimization level are you reaching for? What do the other players play?

killianh
2012-05-04, 05:47 AM
weapon focus, weapon finesse, Font of inspiration for the feats

I'm hoping more for damaged based optimization but without just picking up wizard and destroying everything.

The other player are as follows:
Halfling Monk\Palidin
Elf Scout\Swashbuckler
Human Warmage\sorc
Half-Orc Barbarian\Ninja (Very humorously played I must admit)
Human Psychic Warrior\Fighter

Currently I'm running the most effective character in game so far so I don't need to jump leaps and bounds above them because then I just wouldn't be a playable character in comparison

betelgeuce
2012-05-04, 06:38 AM
I currently have a level 4 gestalt gnome character with Factotum 4\swashbuckler 3\warblade 1. I'm planning on advancing both Factotum and Warblade until I reach level eight. At that point I'm not going to advance Factotum any further, but (regardless of build strength) I'm advancing Warblade and something else. The questions are:

1) what should that something else be?
2) Item-wise what would be good?
3) what would be best for my spells with factotum\manoeuvres with Warblade?
4) good feats for the character?
5) any other suggestions?

Stats are currently STR 14, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 16, WIS 12 CHA 10

My original role was skill monkey with some side fighting techniques, but RP wise things kept coming up making it more likely for my guy to start putting some focus on melee fighting and backup utility spells. The character tries to learn and get better at everything though, particularly unique abilities. I was originally thinking of taking an Erudite StP to continue with, but I'm not sure if its better to do that or take a PrC that continues and builds off of what I already have. Fitting with this what would be the general advice?

I'm not looking for a total rebuild or anything like that, just a good continuation of what I have so far.

Honestly what you have so far is alright. Two weapon fighting makes ommnommnomm damage with martial maneuvers. The swashbuckler is for flavor I assume as you picked 2 classes that mesh really well. Surging Strike is amazing for just spamming damage. Stormguard warrior at higher level, Combat Reflexes, Roblier's Gambit, all great for spam damage. I think the Factotum/Warblade combo I like the best is with Chameleon for floating feat but that's cheesy. You can do this but I'd honestly just keep trucking warblade. That and take more font of inspiration.

Fable Wright
2012-05-04, 08:12 AM
Chameleon is a pretty good way to go, even for something aside from the floating feat option. Bonus to attack/damage, sneak attack when applicable, rage when applicable, cast buffs when you want, +4 to hit with your full BAB... seems pretty good. Also, betelgeuce, I think Swashbuckler was more for Int to Damage (again) than for flavor.

eggs
2012-05-04, 08:32 AM
I'd just do more Factotum. There really isn't anything else that improves its abilities, or that will get better than level 7 Int-based spells in 12 levels. And the Factotum's high-level abilities are pretty good.

The one alternative I see is Carmendine Monk 2/Chameleon 10, for a bit of Int synergy, but a generally worse setup for the high-level game.

betelgeuce
2012-05-04, 09:38 AM
Oh darn...Sorry I don't know much about the Swashbuckler class. I think that's pretty awesome but again less powerful than a Factotum 8/Warblade 10/Chameleon 2 build. But then again raw power is like raw power in a car. It really needs a great driver to get the best of it, meaning it's how you play this bad puppy my friend.

Person_Man
2012-05-04, 11:15 AM
Taking levels of Swashbuckler was a big mistake, as it delayed and denied your access to higher level class abilities from better classes and prestige classes. But now that you're stuck with them (unless retraining is an option), I would go with Totemist, Incarnate, Swordsage, Crusader, or more Factotum. The first four scale well regardless of level and are not dependent on any particular attribute if you choose your soulmelds or maneuvers intelligently. Soulmelds have an essentia capacity based mostly on hit dice, and maneuvers count 1/2 of your levels from other sources when determining the highest level maneuver you can select. Factotum gives you more Inspiration points, spells, Skills, and a few higher level class abilities.

betelgeuce
2012-05-04, 11:23 AM
I would not mix any other TOB:BO9S with any other class from that book. Stick with Warblade and pick up a 2 handed weapon and power attack that bizatch with all you can.

Chronos
2012-05-04, 06:13 PM
For feats, you're definitely going to want to pick up Knowledge Devotion. With that build, you shouldn't ever have any difficulty making Int-based skill checks, which means that Knowledge Devotion is effectively an always-on +3 to +5 to attack and damage.

And Chameleon would be a good choice, but you're not human.