PDA

View Full Version : Dragonmarks

JadePhoenix
2012-05-04, 09:49 AM
I'm curious, how do dragonmarks (specifically aberrant dragonmarks) work in 4e?

Oracle_Hunter
2012-05-04, 10:14 AM
They're feats that give certain bonuses/features and can sometimes let you learn/cast certain Rituals without taking Ritual Casting feat.

Each one also has an associated Paragon Path, but (IIRC) there is no Epic Destiny unique to Dragonmarks.

JadePhoenix
2012-05-04, 10:37 AM
They're feats that give certain bonuses/features and can sometimes let you learn/cast certain Rituals without taking Ritual Casting feat.

Each one also has an associated Paragon Path, but (IIRC) there is no Epic Destiny unique to Dragonmarks.

So you can't use them in combat? That sucks.

Oracle_Hunter
2012-05-04, 10:45 AM
So you can't use them in combat? That sucks.
You can use their bonuses/features in combat when applicable.

Surrealistik
2012-05-04, 11:25 AM
Several of the Dragonmark feats are some of the most powerful in the game when properly used and synergized.

allonym
2012-05-04, 12:17 PM
With specific reference to Aberrant Marks, their only mechanical effect is a debuff they apply when you hit enemies with daily powers. Unlike the normal Marks, they do not confer any advantages that might be useful outside of combat, nor do they give you access to any rituals. The interesting part of the effect is that it lasts until the end of the encounter, no saves. The most useful is probably the Mark of Madness, which lowers the enemy will defence by 2 for the rest of the encounter, though the Mark of Terror, which gives enemies a -1 to attack rolls against you, isn't terrible on the right defender. I built a Cleric|Invoker designed to, among other things, take advantage of the Mark of Madness - it worked out pretty well.

There are no paragon paths associated with the Aberrant Marks. I wish there was a PP for House Tarkanan :(

Reluctance
2012-05-04, 06:53 PM
I don't have the book in front of me, but the combat use of the marks involves either riders or enhancements when you use existing mechanics. Things like granting saving throws every time you use a [Healing] power, or giving marked enemies -3 to hit people who aren't you instead of -2.

The rituals are the fluff part. They explain why people have easy access to ritual spells, and why the houses can do the things they do.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-05-06, 12:49 AM
but (IIRC) there is no Epic Destiny unique to Dragonmarks.

Well, there's the Heir of Siberys (Dragon 388), though that doesn't actually require you to already have a dragonmark to enter, so it may not count depending on what you mean by "unique to dragonmarks."

Zaq
2012-05-07, 10:04 AM
Well, there's the Heir of Siberys (Dragon 388), though that doesn't actually require you to already have a dragonmark to enter, so it may not count depending on what you mean by "unique to dragonmarks."

To be fair, in 3.5, Heir of Siberys specifically required you not to have a dragonmark before entering it. So that's hardly unprecedented.