PDA

View Full Version : Sorc ACF Divine Companion Question

Diarmuid
2012-05-04, 10:45 AM
Can you put spells into the Divine Companion by casting spells off scrolls and/or using wands/staves?

Wording on DC states: "To fill this reservoir, you must cast one or more targetted spells at this creatiure."

Here's the wording from Scrolls what is giving me this idea: "Determine Effect: A spell successfully activated from a scroll works exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way."

Similar wording from Wands: "Activation: Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity."

Staffs dont have similar wording so on those I'm not sure.

My basis for thinking this works is that both scrolls and wands reference "casting the spell" which is the only requirement for the DC. With the in mind, does "targetted spell" mean a spell with a target other than "You"?

Diarmuid
2012-05-06, 05:53 PM
No one has any thoughts on this one?

moritheil
2012-05-18, 03:10 PM
Can you put spells into the Divine Companion by casting spells off scrolls and/or using wands/staves?

Wording on DC states: "To fill this reservoir, you must cast one or more targetted spells at this creatiure."

Here's the wording from Scrolls what is giving me this idea: "Determine Effect: A spell successfully activated from a scroll works exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way."

Similar wording from Wands: "Activation: Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity."

Staffs dont have similar wording so on those I'm not sure.

By RAW, scrolls should work. IIRC staffs are like wands except they use your own caster level and stats, so they're closer to your own spells than wands.

DMs may rule against it on fluff or balance grounds, of course. Flavor wise, it could be that the sacrifice of slots from store-bought scrolls or wands isn't "personal" enough of a sacrifice. Balance wise, some DMs might not like you being able to expend 10 charges of a level 1 wand and get a +10 to saves and AC for a combat. I can see how it would get silly at higher levels, when blowing even 50 charges off of a wand is pocket change for your character.

does "targetted spell" mean a spell with a target other than "You"?

Yes. Shield doesn't work, but Charm Person does. Of course, if you're a Sorcerer, any spell slot can be cast as any spell you know, so just make sure you know at least one nonbuff spell for each level that you want to be sacrificing regularly from, or get Heighten.

Brock Samson
2012-05-18, 05:10 PM
Do you have access to the Magic Item Compendium? Look up the Magica Momento, it's like a Pearl of Power, but for Sorceror's spell slots. Buy a BUNCH of level 1 Magica Momentos. Use that to fuel your companion. Every day.