PDA

View Full Version : Is there any dreamer homebrewed class?

Aeryr
2012-05-04, 11:18 AM
Mostly what it says in the can.

I have started playing a spellcaster (from UA) focusing my spell selection on dream/nightmare and mind affecting spells with spellcraft, concentration, autohipnosis and lucid dreaming (plus knowledges) as class skills and it is certainly fun. I wanted to know if there is something homebrewed in that direction.

If not... someone is willing to give a hand or suggest any ideas I might give it a try.

OracleofSilence
2012-05-04, 11:49 AM
Fleee! Flee noooooow!

On a more serious note, Dreamscapes and Nightmare realms are handled in Heroe's of Horror, and all i can say is this. They are bat**** crazy. There is no RAW way of producing either of these states, making a dream caster phenominally hard to pull off in the sense of existing within a dream.

While i have seen no good Homebrew for this (or any if i recall), a few things would be needed.

1: A way of making Dreamscapes and Nightmare realms in combat.

2: A way of using your dream stuff to hurt people out of dreamscapes.

and 3: a way of making sense. Dreams are inherently chaotic and incomprehensible. The class would need to have real and defined mechanics for these created dreamscapes.

Aeryr
2012-05-04, 12:06 PM
I was thinking on giving them some sort of touch attack that could get fatigue or sleep as a debuff turning monster vulnerable to mind affecting, and at later levels having a "figment familiar" that can do that in some sort of AoE. Or in the line of necrotic cyst, being able to implant a seed of dream in creatures.

I thought that it would also be cool to have them being able to enter a dream walking state, with limited uses per day like a barbarian rage (but not really), giving them bonus on untrained skills and saves or something. Also some sort of dream crafting class feature, like shadow crafting illusions, only usable while dream walking that could be disbelieved (so it is not really game breaking).

That could handle how to be able to damage people out of the dreamscape.

For the dreamscape... there is always lucid dreaming, that should be a class skill, and people could be sent there, maybe giving them some sort of planar traits and planar effects that don't affect negatively those who pass a lucid dreaming check?. Problem is that the body might be left behind, unless the character is an outsider, that might be another ability... becoming an outsider.

cagemarrow
2012-05-04, 01:38 PM
I know it's not a base class for this but use the Apprentice feat chain to gain Lucid Dreaming from the Manual of the Planes as a class skill and make a potion/scroll focused cleric who stocks up on items to carry with him into the dream realm. Good wisdom helps him make the checks and items used in the dream are not used upon waking up from it. :)

The various Dream feats from Secrets of Sarlona could work well for dream based bonuses in the real world. Just be careful when going up against things that don't dream. Kalashtar, outsiders, constructs, undead, etc. . .

Slipperychicken
2012-05-04, 02:00 PM
You could go Wizard. Focus on Conjuration, say you're summoning things out of the Dreamscape and fluff the conjured stuff as cloudy and dreamlike. Your Teleportation effects are really moving through Dreams. Refluff Ethereal Jaunt as going into the Dreamscape.

You could also go Shadowcraft Illusionist/Killer Gnome, the one where the right build can get your illusions to be 120-160% real. Hurts your brain to think about the logical implications, but it's easy to refluff as half-real dream stuff.

Aeryr
2012-05-04, 02:12 PM
@cagemarrow hadn't thought of the secrets of sarlona feats, thanks for the idea. How can you use apprentice to gain lucid dreaming? :smallconfused:

@Slipperychicken yep, I thought about that, but then I discarded it since you can mostly do everything with a wizard. :smalltongue: I didn't really wanted to be that powerful.

Fable Wright
2012-05-04, 04:09 PM
I'm just going to leave this here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241575)...

The contest isn't done yet, and it will be a while, but...

Aeryr
2012-05-04, 04:11 PM
I am so going to give that a try, I then will ask my dm to let me get my own PrC as a PrC that could be hilarious.