PDA

View Full Version : List of Rays

OracleofSilence
2012-05-04, 12:41 PM
So, I have been looking into Spellwarp Sniper (know its not great), so I have run into an issue. I am not particularly familiar with the list of ray spells, so...

Any good suggestions for damage/debuff rays? I know the classic Shocking Ray, Burning Ray, but what other rays... are really worth it (i am not sure if those can even be considered worth it).

Flickerdart
2012-05-04, 12:49 PM
Someone else has done the job (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9235.0) for you. I recommend Frost Breath (spellwarped = no-save daze).

OracleofSilence
2012-05-04, 12:50 PM
Why thank you. Some how, google fu failed me...

Diarmuid
2012-05-04, 12:50 PM
Of note, you dont need to focus on Ray spells as you're able to turn non-rays into rays with that PrC.

nedz
2012-05-04, 12:52 PM
Here's one I prepared earlier - its fairly complete, but only goes up to 4th.
YMMV with a couple of them

Rays
0th

Ev *Ray of Frost

1st

Nc Ray of Enfeeblement (d6 +1/2 CL Str)
Tr Ray of Clumsyness (d6 +1/2 CL Dex)
Ev *Ray of Flame(d6/2 CL), may ignite
Div Targeting Ray (gives you and allies +1/3 CLs on ranged attacks)

2nd

Ev *Scorching Ray (4d6 fire, +1 ray/4 CL)
En *Ray of Stupidity (d4+1 Int)
En Sting Ray (1 action per rd, +2 ac, ...)
Ev *Blast of Force (d6/2 CL force, Knockdown)
Ev *Rainbow beam (dazzled, d12/3 random)
Ev *Ray of Ice(d6/2 CL cold), cannot move
Nc Ray of Sickness
Nc Ray of Weakness(-2 att, -10' speed)
Nc Escalating Enfeeblement (gives higher penalty to str on creatures with damage/penalty to ability scores or who are exhausted/fatigued)
Ev Seeking Ray (4d6 electric, 4 to hit with ray spells for CL rounds) SA
Nc Life Bolt (1d12 damage to undead per ray. 1 extra ray per 2 CLs above 1st, max 5 at 9. take 1 nonlethal dmg per ray that hits) SA

3rd

Nc Ray of Exhaustion (half speed, -6 Str, Dex)
Ev *Ice Lance(+4 to hit,6d6 cold/pierce,Fort Stunn d4 rds)
En Ray of Dizzyness
Tr Rust Ray
Nc Greater Disrupt Undead (1d8/2CL damage to undead (cap 10), allows you to redirect overkill damage to secondary target) SA

4th

Nc Ennervation (d4 neg levels)
Abj Ray of deanimation(d6/ to construct)

* Damage - eligible for sneak, skirimish etc.
Ev Evocation
Tr Transformation
En Ench
Cj Conjuration
Nc Necro

Sources
PH, SpC

Ed: Tidied up the list a little after suggestions from Venger

Venger
2012-05-04, 01:09 PM
(great list)

one small thing though:

as per the rules in complete arcane on weaponlike spells, anything that deals negative energy or ability damage is also eligible for skirmish/SA (bonus damage is negative energy damage) so you could put a ** or the like next to enervation and ray of stupidity (since it's damage and not a penalty like ray of clumsiness) for that reason.

Here's a couple more I found. I left off divine ones like saltray and lanuor since you're going into spellwarp sniper and bad ones like distracting ray

1st

Div Targeting Ray (gives you and allies +1/3CLs on ranged attacks)

2nd

Necro Escalating Enfeeblement (gives higher penalty to str on creatures with damage/penalty to ability scores or who are exhausted/fatigued)
Evoc Seeking Ray (4d6 electric, 4 to hit with ray spells for CL rounds) SA
Necro Life Bolt (1d12 damage to undead per ray. 1 extra ray per 2 CLs above 1st, max 5 at 9. take 1 nonlethal dmg per ray that hits) SA

3rd

Necro Greater Disrupt Undead (1d8/2CL damage to undead (cap 10), allows you to redirect overkill damage to secondary target) SA

Sources
PHB2, SpC,CArc

nedz
2012-05-04, 03:45 PM
Thanks Venger

Do you have a source for Seeking Ray, I couldn't find it in the listed sources.

Also I'm not sure about Greater Disrupt Undead and Ice Lance, because they are not strictly Rays. I deliberately didn't include the Orb spells for that reason. I may need to remove these.

Venger
2012-05-04, 04:06 PM
Thanks Venger

Do you have a source for Seeking Ray, I couldn't find it in the listed sources.

Also I'm not sure about Greater Disrupt Undead and Ice Lance, because they are not strictly Rays. I deliberately didn't include the Orb spells for that reason. I may need to remove these.

sure, seeking ray is in PHB2.

greater disrupt undead is indeed a ray. it's instantaneous, and requires a ranged touch attack to hit. what did you mean, precisely?

I can't say the same for ice lance as I couldn't find it. where is it?

while fluffwise the orb of x spells don't sound like rays, mechanically, they are rays (ranged touch attack to hit) but that's understood.

nedz
2012-05-04, 07:50 PM
As I understand it Ray spells have ray in their description. This is a requirement for a few things such as split ray metamagic.

Example

Ray of Frost
Evocation [Cold]
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Ed: Icelance is in SpC, and its Effect states One lance of Ice
So its a lance spell ?:smallconfused:
Its a ranged attack spell (not touch)

I think I may need to refine my list.
I'll get back to you one this :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2012-05-04, 09:49 PM
while fluffwise the orb of x spells don't sound like rays, mechanically, they are rays (ranged touch attack to hit) but that's understood.

Orbs are not rays. They are spells which have an effect: "One orb of <energy>"

nedz
2012-05-04, 10:47 PM
OK - I'm still working on refining the list.

But one thing is bugging me: Are their any other Lances spells ?:smallconfused:

TuggyNE
2012-05-04, 10:53 PM

All rays are ranged touch attacks, but not all ranged touch attacks are rays.

Fortunately, you don't need a ray to get crits/precision damage, or even a ranged touch -- all you need is an attack roll of some kind. (I'm pretty sure spells like spiritual weapon are excluded because of language like "strikes as a spell, not a weapon" and "receives no flanking bonus".)