PDA

View Full Version : Pumping my touch AC

Aemoh87
2012-05-04, 12:42 PM
So I am working on a RIDICULOUS character for ridiculous reasons (tier 1 campaign aimed at moving exteremly fast though levels, ~3 encounters, and punishing a DM who has it coming). I am in the final few phases, maping out my spending and preparing specialized feats lists when I realized I have a super low Touch AC. I am building my own CoDzilla using my groups banned list and its going great, my regular AC. Any way to convert that to touch?

Flickerdart
2012-05-04, 12:52 PM
Scintillating Scales transforms your natural AC info deflection AC, but it's a Sorc/Wiz spell, so it'll be difficult for a 'zilla to grab.

tyckspoon
2012-05-04, 12:53 PM
Quickest way I know of would be Scintillating Scales, which changes your Natural Armor bonus into Deflection. Personal range so it's Persist-ok; the problem is it's only a Sorc/Wiz spell, so you'd have to blow an Anyspell or a Miracle to use it on a Cleric.

Diarmuid
2012-05-04, 12:54 PM
There's a shield feat that adds your Shield bonus to your Touch AC. I think it has a few prereqs, but it's something.

Axier
2012-05-04, 12:56 PM
The feat for shield to touch is called Shield Ward. There is also a psionic feat that requires Heavy Armor Optimization that adds Heavy Armor to Touch AC.

Tyndmyr
2012-05-04, 01:30 PM
Scintillating Scales transforms your natural AC info deflection AC, but it's a Sorc/Wiz spell, so it'll be difficult for a 'zilla to grab.

Meh, Magic domain, and bam, you can use an item of it. Easy, and fairly low investment/good utility.

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-04, 01:34 PM
Scintillating Scales + an alter self or polymorph or whatever for something with lots of natural armor.

Flickerdart
2012-05-04, 01:48 PM
Meh, Magic domain, and bam, you can use an item of it. Easy, and fairly low investment/good utility.
Yeah, but a domain is a pretty significant investment considering how few you get, plus you need extra effort to Persist something off an item.

Aemoh87
2012-05-04, 01:55 PM

I do have the magic domain already!

tyckspoon
2012-05-04, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but a domain is a pretty significant investment considering how few you get, plus you need extra effort to Persist something off an item.

Scintillating Scales is only a level 2 spell. Persisting it is still within the normal range of castable spells, so it's not actually hard to get it Persisted on an item; it's just expensive. For example, you could get a Wand of Scintillating Scales and attach a Metamagic Wand Grip to use your Persistent Spell feat on it, and all you have to do is put up with burning through 7 charges on the wand every time you want to use it. You could also acquire scrolls of Persistent Scintillating Scales. A single-spell Staff of it would probably be the most efficient way, but that requires your DM to let you build your own Staff designs.

Dairuga
2012-05-04, 07:12 PM
Two words. Divine Magician.

This Alternative class feature from complete mage basically lets you swap away a domain power to get yourself your very own-made Domain, where you pick one wiz/sor spell from each level and put it into the domain. Voila, scintillating scales are go-go, baby.

EDIT: No wait. Big mistake on my part there... It seems you can only pick from three schools, Abjuration, Necromancy and Divination. And I do not think Scintillating scales fall under those three.

Flickerdart
2012-05-04, 07:20 PM
It's an Abjuration spell, so you're free to Divine Magician it.

Dairuga
2012-05-04, 07:38 PM
It's an Abjuration spell, so you're free to Divine Magician it.

Well then, there you go!

Divine magician for the win. Wow; I did something good, didn't realize I had pulled off a win, and made myself into a fail by not checking it up properly. Talk about failing hard.

Water_Bear
2012-05-04, 08:08 PM
Actually, the Divine Magician (or anything that gets Sor/Wiz) option is even better; the 4th level spell Ray Deflection from Spell Compendium gives you total immunity to Ranged Touch Attacks and Rays with a decent duration.

Not actually boosting your Touch AC per se, but I've found Ranged Touch and Ray spells are more of an issue than Melee Touch range anyway. Beware of people using Spectral Hand to deliver their Melee Touch Spells; you'll want to destroy those Hands as soon as they appear, ideally with Magic Missile so that you can't miss or fail to kill them in one hit.

Finally, the obvious; have a high Dexterity modifier. :smalltongue:

LordDrakulzen
2012-05-04, 08:38 PM
The first thing that comes to my mind is Gnome Twist Cloth, from Races of Stone, Would take Exotic armor prof (gnome twist cloth) though.

You get a +1 AC (meh) with no max Dex bonus, and Armor enhancement bonus is added to Touch.

AFB so hopefully am quoting correctly.

Waker
2012-05-04, 09:11 PM
Take Wild Talent (EPH) or be a psionic race to gain Power Points, then take Heavy Armor Optimization and Deflective Armor (RoS). After becoming pisonically focused, which can last all day, you can apply your armor bonus to touch ac.
Parrying Shield (LoM) allows you to add your shield's AC bonus to touch ac.
Take Bonus Essentia (MoI) and Shape Soulmeld (Crystal Helm). Each point of Essentia invested in the helm gives you one point of deflection ac.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm lazy.