PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration please

Dr.Orpheus
2012-05-04, 08:01 PM
I am currently undertaking a big homebrew of some caster type class. If you yourself have homebrewed spells, powers, soulmelds, mysteries, casting classes, alternate magic rules, etc. or just have a cool idea you would like to share please do. I want this class to know abilities from a large variety of other classes as well as have a few abilities of its own. I of course will leave links to your homebrew if its name is mentioned or many ideas from it were used, but I wont directly copy your words or anything.

I will not be discussing the class until I make a thread for it some time in the future, I got some ideas to work out.

Xechon
2012-05-05, 09:38 AM
This (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Wordcasting_(3.5e_Variant_Rule)). Always, truly, forever, just this (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Wordcasting_(3.5e_Variant_Rule)).

Also, check here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11606844) for a compilation of different possible magic systems. Posts 3 and 4. Good day!

Dr.Orpheus
2012-05-05, 11:21 AM
These are amazing! seems like I got a lot of stuff to read before I can start though.

Temotei
2012-05-05, 09:23 PM
My homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11662889&postcount=1) has a number of things magical under "Spells and Powers."

Dr.Orpheus
2012-05-05, 10:27 PM
These look cool, I can always use more spells I will need tons.

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-05-05, 10:36 PM
alternate magic rules

Yeah, I had a homebrew mana (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239446)system going for a while (though it never got a terrible amount of interest). If you think you can use any of it, go ahead. I'm probably mis-reading your request, but anyway, there it is.

zegram 33
2012-05-06, 07:21 AM
I created an at will caster with a limitied list and ability improvement system, but it also got limited attention.

also rather recently created a class that used "seals" as kind of magical mines, which could be included as metamagic or a class ability.

these are in my sig under "mage" and "seal master" respectively

Dr.Orpheus
2012-05-06, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I had a homebrew mana (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239446)system going for a while (though it never got a terrible amount of interest). If you think you can use any of it, go ahead. I'm probably mis-reading your request, but anyway, there it is.
I created an at will caster with a limitied list and ability improvement system, but it also got limited attention.

also rather recently created a class that used "seals" as kind of magical mines, which could be included as metamagic or a class ability.

these are in my sig under "mage" and "seal master" respectivelyThank you both I will likely have aspects of these somewhere in my class

Yitzi
2012-05-06, 10:40 AM
If you post the fluff idea behind your caster, I can probably come up with something that fits, but I need something to model in order to write a good system.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-05-06, 12:54 PM
Well that would be nice, but I have the magic system worked out though so I don't need help on it, I just need time to type everything. I can incorporate ideas you may have though. Here is the fluff I have typed so far, and it subject to change.The All-Mage
"Not now I’m trying to think. Try back in two eternities.” – Kniellygh an All-Mage

You know how there are those questions nobody can really answer like “What is meaning of life” or “Can Chuck Norris kill himself in one punch”. Well they do have answers and like many important questions answering them only creates more questions. If you keep answering the questions that others find impossible then you have a chance at becoming an All-Mage. The difference between the All-Mage and a normal mage is simple. A wizard gains magic power from knowledge of magical laws. An All-Mage gains magic power from knowledge of the multiverse, its laws, and all it encompasses, and they find parallels between all the supernatural arts so they can master them all.

Abilities: An All-Mages class features function off of all ability scores. Mental stats are slightly more important and intelligence is the most useful of the mental stats, but don't focus all into intelligence.

Role: The All-Mage is a caster, the type of caster you want to make is up to you. There are many areas for you to focus in and you can also dabble in many areas if you wish.

Background: The typical All-Mage is in many ways like a self-taught wizard. They read books and scrolls on the topic of magic, psionics, the planes, and more to further their powers. A few All Mages are trained by masters of several different casting classes. It is very rare for an All-Mage to find a student to train when most aren’t cut for the high levels of thinking required and those who qualify will not always join in order to avoid a life filled with never ending study and training.

Organization: There are no particular organizations for All-Mages due to there rareness.

Alignment: The All-Mages slightly favor the neutral alignment. They study morality just like they study the absence of morality, and they are sometimes to busy with study they don’t care about morals.

Races: Any race could become an All-Mage, but mostly those with long lives and natural inclinations to learn.

Religion: Most All-Mages don‘t have time for faith, but some will worship a wise god. A few powerful All-Mages see beyond gods and worship the intelligent manifestation of the multiverse, or the power responsible for creating the planes gods when there was nothing.

Other Classes: Many other classes are somewhat of a nuisance to an All-Mage. They are not useless the All-Mage knows this, but they are seen as distractions from the pursuit of knowlege. Wizards, psions, bards, and the like are learned enough to converse with. This is a fairly normal attitude for an All-Mage, but don’t think they are all this.

Adaptation: This class works in most games. When you have a world with a well thought out planar structure and specific law about magical physics then the All-Mage knows all about it and then some. If in a world where contact with other planes is rare and few know in depth about planar travel then the All-Mage will know more than most.