PDA

View Full Version : Bard Multiclassing

Luzahn
2012-05-05, 10:34 AM
I'm making a bard for an upcoming campaign, and was curious about whether there are any classes suitable for multiclassing with a bard. I know the forum's penchant for optimization, but I'm really looking for something that at least doesn't diminish my effectiveness from being a full bard. Ideally, I would want to multiclass into something rogue or rangerlike as well.

Thanks for any tips given.

joca4christ
2012-05-05, 10:46 AM
My question to you is this: What are you trying to do by multiclassing? Is it fluff flavoring or effectiveness? Are you looking for multiclass ideas to optimize your bard, or are you looking for fun suggestions? What race are you choosing?

I am not an optimizer. If you are looking for a fun multiclass combo, be a gnome bard/cleric/divine prankster. One of the PrC abilities later on is Killing Joke, which I think just sounds cool.

I am sure others will offer more optimization advice. Good luck, and have fun!

Luzahn
2012-05-05, 10:52 AM
I'm somewhat looking for fluff. I generally try to avoid pure classes, they just seem a bit boring, and wanted the bard to feel like a trickster-type thief, casting illusions and using deception to achieve his goals.

Kadarai
2012-05-05, 10:56 AM
It depends on how u wanna play your bard. A ranger is good multiclassing idea, following the archeotypical Harper Agent (don't use any harper prestige except for the Harmper Master though). For a simple 5lvl build u can try a Ranger3/Bard2 with Song of the Heart u have a typical TWF/Archer with a +2/+2 buff to everything. It is very potent.

A rogue3/bard2 can be anything from the typical assassin to the the silver-tongued court spy - James Bond even. It depends on what RP u have in mind.
Then u can try some prestiges to add those up.

If u are aiming for a buffer/caster go for Sublime Chord(CA) or Lyric Thaumaturge(CM)

If u want a sturdy jack-of-all-trades that is really fun and strong try the Fochlucan Lyrist (CAdv)(personal fav - literally bard-rogue-ranger sum)

If u want something crazy and memorable u can try the infamous Bard Vader (light saber wielding Bard - a bit tricky to create the saber, but i assure you it works miracles)

Luzahn
2012-05-05, 11:17 AM
Hmm, the rogue dip may work. Thanks for the ideas.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-05-05, 11:33 AM
I'd recommend going Bard 4 then either Crusader or Warblade the rest with standard IC boosts.

prufock
2012-05-05, 12:07 PM
A rogue dip is good; one level gets you Trapfinding, which is important if you're going to be your party's skill monkey.

A dip into Marshal for one level is good to get a single minor aura. Motivate charisma/intelligence/dexterity is generally best for this type of build. Up to 4 levels is not terrible. You'd get a single major aura, another minor aura, and grant move action 1/day.

Paladin (of Freedom) 2 or Hexblade 2 will grant you cha bonus to saves plus full BAB for those 2 levels. Not a terrible trade, but not as useful for a trickster bard as for a battle bard.

Luzahn
2012-05-05, 12:07 PM
I'd recommend going Bard 4 then either Crusader or Warblade the rest with standard IC boosts.

Both of those are from Tome of Battle, right? I really need to get access to that.

Feralventas
2012-05-05, 12:27 PM
Both of those are from Tome of Battle, right? I really need to get access to that.

Indeed. Bard/Warblade or Crusader works beautifully as a leader/buffer character with the White Raven school maneuvers. Buff your allies with songs and sneak in tactical advice while leaving your enemies open to other attacks.

And while it's not one of the suggested options, Bard/Warblade into Jade Pheonix Mage works out quite nicely if you're grabbing magic items and feats and such to boost your Inspire Courage (as JPM doesn't progress it much). A dip into Battle Dancer for unarmored AC boosts (Cha to AC) and Abjurant Champion or Sublime Chord or even just standard bard to cap it off should suffice until you hit 20 and can start taking Epic Bard.

nedz
2012-05-05, 12:40 PM
If its a trickster you want then you might want to consider SpellThief instead of rogue. Its pretty similar to Rogue, except you get fewer sneak dice, a few more spells, 6+ Skill points and the ability to pinch other peoples spells.
Its from CADv

The Master Spellthief feat from Complete Scoundrel would be a good choice for such a character. You get Trapfinding, no Evasion though you can eventually get Absorb Spell (ST-7) which is kind of similar.

Luzahn
2012-05-05, 12:52 PM
If its a trickster you want then you might want to consider SpellThief instead of rogue. Its pretty similar to Rogue, except you get fewer sneak dice, a few more spells, 6+ Skill points and the ability to pinch other peoples spells.
Its from CADv

The Master Spellthief feat from Complete Scoundrel would be a good choice for such a character. You get Trapfinding, no Evasion though you can eventually get Absorb Spell (ST-7) which is kind of similar.

Ooh, that looks promising.