PDA

View Full Version : So... what's up with JPM?

Greyfeld85
2012-05-05, 06:42 PM
I know that some people like the Jade Phoenix Mage, and it seems like a very flavorful class. But I'm not sure why it's actually considered a "good" PrC. I've looked at it several times, and it seems to me that sacrificing several levels of spellcasting isn't worth what the prestige class gives you in class features.

Is there something I'm missing?

Snowbluff
2012-05-05, 06:52 PM
I don't think so. It's easily one of my least favorite PrCs. Easily considered terrible, especially when compared to the RKV. Which is actually good.

You're trying to progress casting at the same time as initiating. If that's the case, you shouldn't be losing so many caster levels.

JadePhoenix
2012-05-05, 07:05 PM
I know that some people like the Jade Phoenix Mage, and it seems like a very flavorful class. But I'm not sure why it's actually considered a "good" PrC. I've looked at it several times, and it seems to me that sacrificing several levels of spellcasting isn't worth what the prestige class gives you in class features.

Is there something I'm missing?

It progresses maneuvers as well. It's not as good as caster only prcs, because nothing is as good as caster only prcs.

Boci
2012-05-05, 07:08 PM
You lose 3 caster levels to gain some decent gish abilities. You can empower and quicken a spell 1/encounter and the cap abilitiy is fun. Its not great, but its by no means terrible.

Obviously its not for full casters, and yes that makes you weaker, but you can still be solidly tier 3, which is equal to the rest of the book (although argiably a JPM is higher up within tier 3) so again, no it isn't terrible.

Amphetryon
2012-05-05, 08:34 PM
I like JPM a lot. You can easily hit 8th level spells, 9th if you're careful and/or use sufficient op-fu. It's consistently giving the character fun, thematic, and solid abilities, even if they aren't on par with 9th level spells in raw power. Well made, you should probably still be considered Tier 2, though it's easy enough to miss that mark with the caster levels lost.

navar100
2012-05-06, 12:57 AM
It's an obvious attempt to be an arcane caster/martial adept gish. I'm not thrilled with it either, but that's more because I don't play arcane gishes. It's just not my playstyle.

In its defense, as with any multiclassing of a spellcaster, not having 9th level spells by level 20 is not the apocalypse of your gaming. Some players need to have 9th level spells. That's fine and good for them. Have fun, sincerely. However, for other players' preference, they don't need 9th level spells. They'll consider a prestige class for its own sake. They would probably prefer full spellcasting progression, but what it offers may be good enough for them.

It becomes a matter of personal taste. That is essentially what you're asking, though. What are people's personal taste to like the class that you don't have hence your misgivings of it.

Not Jade Phoenix Mage, but sometimes a prestige class is truly bad and not worth taking. (Shining Blade of Hieronious) If it's universally panned, then it's quite likely bad. However, if like Jade Phoenix Mage its getting praises despite you not liking it, then it's a matter of taste.

If you're also intending your question as a means to convince you to change your mind and like the prestige class, that's cool.

DeAnno
2012-05-06, 03:59 AM
I see JPM as being a lot like Duskblade. There are more optimal things you can do than be JPM while still having the same sort of character (like for example being a RKV), but JPM is still pretty good and can be lots of fun to play. Also, if spells are secondary to your character, you can do some pretty gishy things advancing Suel Arcanamach casting with JPM.