PDA

View Full Version : Magi: Battlefield Control Warlock [3.5] (WIP) PEACH

Empedocles
2012-05-05, 10:51 PM
This was inspired by another base class I saw on these forums :smallsmile: I think it was called the geomancer, or something similar, but I can't find it now. Anyways, it's basically a battle-field control warlock. Something in between the Legend tactician and the warlock, really. Frankly, it might not appeal to warlock fans, since it shouldn't play even remotely similarly to it. Also, I'm looking for a better, less generic name and aiming for Tier 3. Enjoy.

Note: Fluff will be added.

The Magi

http://i.imgur.com/mAxPZ.jpg

Magi
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Incantations

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Elemental Burst 1d6|

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Adept|

3rd|+1|+1|+3|+3|Telekinesis|

4th|+2|+1|+4|+4|Mettle|

5th|+2|+1|+4|+4|Elemental Burst 2d6|

6th|+3|+2|+5|+5|Jaunt (Immediate 1/day)|

7th|+3|+2|+5|+5||

8th|+4|+2|+6|+6||

9th|+4|+3|+6|+6|Elemental Burst 3d6|

10th|+5|+3|+7|+7|Improved Telekinesis|

11th|+5|+3|+7|+7||

12th|+6/+1|+4|+8|+8|Jaunt (Immediate 2/day)|

13th|+6/+1|+4|+8|+8|Elemental Burst 4d6|

14th|+7/+2|+4|+9|+9||

15th|+7/+2/+1|+5|+9|+9||

16th|+8/+3|+5|+10|+10||

17th|+8/+3|+5|+10|+10|Elemental Burst 5d6|

18th|+9/+4|+6|+11|+11||

19th|+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Jaunt (Immediate 3/day)|

20th|+10/+5|+6|+12|+12||

[/table]
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d6
Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Spellcraft, Tumble, Profession, Use Magic Device
Class Skills:
Class Skills
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A magi is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor.

Elemental Burst: This is the primary ability of the magi. It creates a burst of energy up to 30 feet away from him of any energy type he chooses, except sonic. It deals damage as indicated on the table above, and does not require a reflex save. However, anyone in the area of effect can make a reflex save (DC 10 + Intelligence modifier + 1/2 Magi class levels) for half damage. The burst is 10 ft. large, plus an additional 10 ft. for every 2 class levels beyond 1st the magi possesses (20 ft. at 3rd level, 30 ft. at 5th, 40 ft. at 7th, etc.). Any area effected by the elemental burst is considered difficult terrain for a number of rounds equal to twice the magi's class levels.

Adept: Magi are excellent at interacting with more traditional arcane magic, almost as if they used spells like a normal caster. They gain Spell Focus (Use Magic Device) as a bonus feat, and can always take 10 on Use Magic Device and Spellcraft checks.

Telekinesis: At 3rd level a magi gains the ability to use telekinesis on objects that weigh up to 5 lb., plus 5 lb. per class level.. He can move any object within 30 ft. plus 5 ft. per 2 class levels, except with an effective strength equal to 8 + his intelligence modifier. He can use this telekinesis to make ranged attacks with objects, which deal 1d3 points of damage if improvised or appropriate damage if a real weapon (e.g. he uses it to throw a sword). To effect an attended item, such as a sheathed or wielded sword, a magi must make a disarm attempt (it does not provoke an attack of opportunity). He is treated as wielding a two handed weapon while making a disarm attempt via telekinesis, and his effective strength while using this ability is treated as being 12 plus his intelligence modifier (for the disarm attempt only). He can also make a bull rush attempt with telekinesis as a full round action, also with a base 12 strength plus his intelligence modifier. It does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Finally, he can make trip attempts via telekinesis as a full round action that does not provoke attack of opportunity and has his effective strength treated as being 10 + his intelligence modifier. Unless otherwise noted, using telekinesis is a standard action and if only moving/throwing items, a magi is limited to moving it 30 ft. per turn (he can increase this to 50 ft. by spending a full round action using telekinesis).

Jaunt: Starting at 6th level, a magi can teleport up to 20 ft. a number of times per day equal to his intelligence modifier. He must be able to see where he is teleporting to. In addition, a number of times per day as shown on the table above, he can use this ability as an immediate action.

Improved Telekinesis: At 10th level a magi's strength is treated as being 2 points higher when using telekinesis, and if tripping, disarming, or bull rushing it is treated as being 15 plus his intelligence modifier.

Alright, I'm out of ideas. Invocations will be heavy on stuff like Evard's Black tentacles, switching stuff around, and walls. I need more ideas for class abilities then ideas for invocations.

eftexar
2012-05-06, 12:41 AM
I think 5d6 is weak for the burst, while the bonuses to telekinesis are really high (12 + int compared to just str?).

I would say to bump up the burst to the warlocks progression or an even 10d6. It has a save to half this after all and that alone I think evens things out with the warlock.
Also why are you restricting access to sonic? I would be more worried about force. Sonic is a rare resistance, but meh...
I would also suggest allowing the player to scale its size to any they wish, using your total as the maximum radius for elemental burst.

Why not add 1/2 class level instead of a straight up +12 to telekinesis checks? That progresses better (though it might still be too much).

And I would just make jaunt at will. Just add in a line like in flicker that attacks have a 50% chance of still hitting.

What are your thoughts on having a version of mettle that only applies to will saves? Because fortitude really doesn't make sense for this class.

I'm also a little concerned about the 15 bab. While reminiscent of the warlock it seems a little more 'spell' focused, so I'm not sure if that's necessary. Though I guess I can't be sure until you finish the incantations.

As far as class abilities, I'll throw out some ideas:

Some sort of magic forcefield.
Scaling spell resistance.
Ability to temporarily copy spell-like abilities.
Ability to 'echo' the casting of a spell cast nearby within the past round.
Allow him to fire a limited elemental burst as an AoO once per round.
"Burst-Shape" or blast-shape invocations as class features (instead of as part of incantations)
Make a will save in place of a fortitude save.
An AC bonus, DR, or energy resistence.
Limited healing ability

Empedocles
2012-05-06, 12:47 AM
I think 5d6 is weak for the burst, while the bonuses to telekinesis are really high (12 + int compared to just str?).

I would say to bump up the burst to the warlocks progression or an even 10d6. It has a save to half this after all and that alone I think evens things out with the warlock.
Also why are you restricting access to sonic? I would be more worried about force. Sonic is a rare resistance, but meh...
I would also suggest allowing the player to scale its size to any they wish, using your total as the maximum radius for elemental burst.

I like the last idea, and I'm going to bump the damage; originally it had stronger effects. As to sonic...I couldn't justify the difficult terrain afterwards. Fire, acid, cold, and even force made sense.

Why not add 1/2 class level instead of a straight up +12 to telekinesis checks? That progresses better (though it might still be too much).

Yeah I'll revise the telekinesis bonuses. Thanks for the idea.

And I would just make jaunt at will. Just add in a line like in flicker that attacks have a 50% chance of still hitting.

Will do :smallsmile:

I'm also a little concerned about the 15 bab. While reminiscent of the warlock it seems a little more 'spell' focused, so I'm not sure if that's necessary. Though I guess I can't be sure until you finish the incantations.

Yeah...I'm also bringing that down to the warlock. When I did the table I just had "warlockwarlockwarlock" in my head for inspiration.

As far as class abilities, I'll throw out some ideas:

Some sort of magic forcefield.
Scaling spell resistance.
Ability to temporarily copy spell-like abilities.
Ability to 'echo' the casting of a spell cast nearby within the past round.
Allow him to fire a limited elemental burst as an AoO once per round.
"Burst-Shape" or blast-shape invocations as class features (instead of as part of incantations)
Make a will save in place of a fortitude save.
An AC bonus, DR, or energy resistence.
Limited healing ability

Some of those look like buffing or support, but I like a lot of the ideas :smallsmile:

Thanks a ton for the help!

zegram 33
2012-05-06, 06:17 AM
nice class, i like spellcasting set up like this.
your elemental burst might benefit from more options, since it seems to be the classes main feature.
what about some sort of ability to have it continuously effect an area?
like, at X level it becomes capable of igniting/electrifying/forming a puddle of acid in that area, continuing o damage anyone who remains in that area eevery round for, say... an extra Int mod number of levels (minimum 1)?

I made an at will caster quitesimilar to this around christmas time but it didnt inspire much interest, i made it as what i saw as a stereotypical battlefield control mage from fiction, with almost no dirct damage spells but a lot of heavily modified utility spells.
the reason i mention this is because a) you might be able to lift or change some ideas from looking at it, since i granted spells at will as class abilities to keep the list down and pretty heavily modified them.

and b) because the upgrade system i used was that every 4 levels he gained an "upgrade point" which could be used to give a permenant multiplier to any numerical aspect of the spell. first multiplier in one apect was x1.5, then x2, then x3 if three points were spent on the same aspect.
so for example you could gain 3x damage if you focused on that, or 3xarea of effect. it could also be used to increase save DC's or add ability damage or so on. this way you can either expand your arsenal slightl, or focus relentlessly on one signature move.

the links in my sig "as Mage" if you feel like it

also, shameless plug, if anyone wants to PEACH it id be obliged since it was largely missed and i was too busy with exams to notice.