PDA

View Full Version : Optional Multiclassing Rule

willpell
2012-05-06, 10:28 AM
What would you think of trying to make multiclass characters look a little more holistic by letting them gain 3x the skill points for their first class level and 2x for their second, instead of 4x and 1x? That way, the difference between a Rogue 1 / Wizard 1 and a Wizard 1 / Rogue 1 might not be so huge.

Urpriest
2012-05-06, 10:37 AM
Doesn't work with max skill ranks sensibly at all. If you want this to work, you'd need to do it like Pathfinder, and get rid of the extra 3 ranks cap at first level.

Namfuak
2012-05-06, 10:40 AM
If you start at level one, this wouldn't really work either, since you would have to retroactively change skill points (assuming you didn't plan on it from the get-go, I suppose).

Also, would this still apply if, for example, I was a Wizard 3/Rogue 1? Or only Wizard 1/Rogue 1?

willpell
2012-05-06, 11:52 AM
It would mostly be for the benefit of characters who are designed at 2nd level or higher. After that it'd be the standard 1x per level. A character who goes Wizard / Wizard / Rogue / Wizard is no different under this system than any other, but one who goes Wizard / Rogue / Wizard / Wizard got 3/4 as many skill points to spend on Wizard skills in exchange for having twice as many Rogue skill points. It seems like a rather fair trade, making it less obvious that a character who wants one level of Rogue mixed in with his Wizard needs to take it at 1st level, or else weep bitter tears of regret ever after. (Though I am at a loss how to fix the comparable obviousness of taking your multiclass Sorcerer's Barbarian level at 1st so you start with 3x as many HP.)

nedz
2012-05-06, 12:34 PM
Well you could spread them out over the 1st four levels, but if you are starting at higher level then it probably doesn't matter.

Or, as others have said you could just use the pathfinder solution.