PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Champloo Style Game?

tahu88810
2012-05-06, 01:42 PM
So, recently I found myself watching Samurai Champloo.

In short, the combat is pretty awesome to watch. For anyone who wants an example, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzErUBYQZpI

Naturally, I now want to run/play a game with similarly fluid combat and a "travelling around doing samurai things" story. I was wondering if anybody knew of a system that could allow for the inventive, capoeira-style Mugen uses alongside more traditional samurai-style swordsmanship like Jin's/everyone-else?

Thanks a ton

Morph Bark
2012-05-06, 02:50 PM
I always thought Mugen was a good example of a Bard using Snowflake Wardance. Or perhaps just someone wearing slippers of battledancing.

If using DnD 3.5 for this (the few other systems I know either don't fit or are too over-the-top for Samurai Champloo), Jin would obviously have Iaijutsu Focus and probably be a Swordsage or Warblade focused on Diamond Mind.

There are a few systems that are claimed to be able to model "everything" though, but in those cases I'd say it depends on the feel of the game and if that fits (and in some cases such a statement is blatantly blown out of proportion).

Tengu_temp
2012-05-06, 04:07 PM
FATE/Spirit of the Century is a decent system for a game of badass, but more or less normal and non-supernatural characters. You can handle the difference in styles by picking appropriate aspects and stunts.

tahu88810
2012-05-06, 05:25 PM
I'm actually going to be running a flavor-stripped, shugenja-free version of Legend of the Five Rings now as per the suggestion of someone on another forum.

Thanks, though, everyone.

moritheil
2012-05-06, 08:21 PM
Another vote for FATE.

L5R is certainly cinematic as well, though it's kind of surprising that it came up; it's not as well known.

In Nomine is very cinematic, if you're looking for other obscure systems to run with. Amber Diceless similarly deals with people doing superhuman feats of strength and endurance; just ignore the Sorcery rules if you're only running swordsmen.

Cieyrin
2012-05-07, 03:27 PM
Iron Heroes does the non-magic Wuxia quite well, down to creating stunts on the fly to get meaningful mechanical bonii and supporting different fighting styles while also making you not have to glow like a Christmas Tree to be competent at what you do.