PDA

View Full Version : Transform Seed -> Epic Shapechange

Yorae
2012-05-06, 02:31 PM
How would one go about making an epic spell version of Shapechange?

One that could presumably:
Assume a form with more hit dice (let's say 50)
Retain the free action to change forms
Retain the extraordinary and supernatural abilities of each form

Basically, I'm just trying to make Shapechange with a higher HD cap, so that when I get to level 25 or 26 or so I can research one up and have some new toys to play with. However, the Transform seed... well, it looks like it just plain sucks. Any ideas?

Rubik
2012-05-07, 12:01 PM
How would one go about making an epic spell version of Shapechange?

One that could presumably:
Assume a form with more hit dice (let's say 50)
Retain the free action to change forms
Retain the extraordinary and supernatural abilities of each form

Basically, I'm just trying to make Shapechange with a higher HD cap, so that when I get to level 25 or 26 or so I can research one up and have some new toys to play with. However, the Transform seed... well, it looks like it just plain sucks. Any ideas?The Reserves of Strength feat (from one of the Dragonlance books) uncaps all of your spells (and boosts your CL by 3 to boot). No need to waste an epic spell on just that.

Venger
2012-05-07, 02:48 PM
The Reserves of Strength feat (from one of the Dragonlance books) uncaps all of your spells (and boosts your CL by 3 to boot). No need to waste an epic spell on just that.

reserves of strength doesn't exactly work like that...

(if this is not fair use, let me know and I'll edit it out, I'll do my best to paraphrase)

it doesn't remove CL caps entirely, but lets you raise your CL when you cast spells by 1-3 (and are stunned for that many rounds after or if you're immune, take a negligible amount of damage) on a case-by case basis and in this way lets you go over your normal cap. it doesn't automatically remove all caps from spells you cast.

Aharon
2012-05-07, 02:58 PM
@Venger
It can be read the way Rubik proposes:
Read that way, the feat has two effects.
1) It allows you to add one to three caster levels.
2) It allows you to exceed the normal level-fixed limits of a spell with this feat.

The feat lacks a clarification like "You can't exceed the level-fixed limits by more than three with this feat.", which makes this interpretation viable.

Venger
2012-05-07, 03:11 PM
@Venger
It can be read the way Rubik proposes:
Read that way, the feat has two effects.
1) It allows you to add one to three caster levels.
2) It allows you to exceed the normal level-fixed limits of a spell with this feat.

The feat lacks a clarification like "You can't exceed the level-fixed limits by more than three with this feat.", which makes this interpretation viable.

Yes. having looked at the feat, I do see how it can be read that it allows you to ignore the lvl caps of spells, primarily due to the way that it segues into its fireball example, it is indeed saying "here's one way to do it" rather than "this is the only way to use this feat"

strictly RAW, I do wholly agree with you, but I think this kind of RAW/RAI thing is on the level of vigilante. the book says he gets 33 3rd lvl spells a day, but you know what they really meant. I don't think that rubik's interpretation is baseless, just that I would have a difficult time imagining it being allowed outside of TO, even in an epic game