PDA

View Full Version : New Strange Problem

MikelaC1
2012-05-06, 05:57 PM
Ive been having the following problem all day long. When I use any of the formatting icons (bold, italic, etc), the cursor disappears and I cannot finish my post. The only way I can finish a whole post is if I type in the whole message and then go back and format the word I want to bold. If I need to format more than one word, Im out of luck.

Rockphed
2012-05-06, 06:21 PM
Ive been having the following problem all day long. When I use any of the formatting icons (bold, italic, etc), the cursor disappears and I cannot finish my post. The only way I can finish a whole post is if I type in the whole message and then go back and format the word I want to bold. If I need to format more than one word, Im out of luck.

Are you typing in the formatting tokens, or using the buttons at the top? What browser and operating system are you using? What other programs and tabs do you have open? When I use firefox in linux I have a similar problem with facebook under conditions that I have not bothered to explore.

If nothing else, you could add tags manually.
italics
spoilers
[b]bold[/bold]
link to www.giantitp.com (www.giantitp.com)
even tags that turn off other tags

MikelaC1
2012-05-06, 06:34 PM
I use the buttons at the top of the reply box. Windows 7, Internet Explorer, no other programs or tabs open.

Zherog
2012-05-06, 07:56 PM
Have you tried the usual internet bug-fix of clearing your browser's cache?

MikelaC1
2012-05-06, 09:08 PM
Yes, I cleared my browser cache and history.

Zherog
2012-05-07, 07:24 AM
Which version of IE?

MikelaC1
2012-05-07, 08:10 AM
The one that came with my computer. The one that worked properly for the past 6 months.

Zherog
2012-05-07, 08:35 AM
That... doesn't really help us troubleshoot your problem. I assume you don't know how to get the version number?

In my version of IE (I have 9 on my PC), up in the top right corner you click on the "Tools" link (it looks like a little gear), and when that menu comes up you select "About Internet Explorer." That page will give you the version number.

Also, did anything change on your computer? Does your PC regularly update Windows, for example, and if so did that run recently? Did you apply an add-on into IE? Did your version of Java update? Flash? Any new software recently?

MikelaC1
2012-05-07, 10:43 AM
I have IE 9.
I have my computer programmed to do its updates late at night when I am not using it, so I have no idea if it updated recently. Nothing else was changed and nothing has been added in months.

pffh
2012-05-08, 07:07 PM
Does the problem exist with other browsers as well or just in IE?

Mercenary Pen
2012-05-13, 03:44 AM
I've occasionally had the cursor disappear myself using various recent versions of Firefox...

Usually I just rely on clicking my invisible cursor to where I want it to be and carry on regardless, but take additional care in case of typos... and my formatting in those posts tends to be a mix of button-based and manual...

Hbgplayer
2012-05-14, 12:54 AM
I've had the cursor disappear several times now, but if I keep typing, or hit another B, I, or U, it reappears.