PDA

View Full Version : Half-dragon Aging categories?

Dairuga
2012-05-06, 06:55 PM
I was looking trough Races of the Dragon today, and I found that there is actually no table given for Half-dragon aging. At least, no concrete table to look up, and I might be missing something important here.

Is there any way of calculating a half-human, half-dragon aging? Half-dragons are stated as living far longer than ordinary humans, for example; the races of dragons going in-depth about how they are often shunned due to slow growth and such... But it does not list when they reach new age categories, and accrue bonuses and penalties.

And furthermore, do Half-dragons, like Dragons and dragonwrought kobolds escape from aging penalties? Or do they gain penalties just as normal humans? Am I just blind, or is it actually not listed? Or in such a case, where is it listed?

Flickerdart
2012-05-06, 07:11 PM
Half-dragons have the same age categories as everyone else - Adult, Middle Age, Old and Venerable, because there isn't a table that says they don't.

tyckspoon
2012-05-06, 07:18 PM
Absent any other actual information, they would use the same aging periods as the base race. I suppose a quick-and-dirty approach would be to just tack an extra 0 onto the end of the age charts for whatever the base race is, but that would result in, say, a half-dragon Elf being longer-lived than a number of actual Dragons (according to Draconomicon, for instance, the lesser chromatic dragons go into decline at 2,200 years, while an Elf of 10x lifespan would have a minimum life of 3,500 and then up to another 4,000 after reaching Venerable.) Which may or may not be a problem for your world; perhaps Half-Dragon ancestry is a known way of becoming near-immortal for these races, and the dragons themselves encourage it as a way to have their influence extend far beyond their personal lifespans.

AsteriskAmp
2012-05-06, 07:23 PM
You could also use the average of dragon and "race" ages (well, corresponding dragon age).

Marnath
2012-05-06, 07:33 PM
I was looking trough Races of the Dragon today, and I found that there is actually no table given for Half-dragon aging. At least, no concrete table to look up, and I might be missing something important here.

Is there any way of calculating a half-human, half-dragon aging? Half-dragons are stated as living far longer than ordinary humans, for example; the races of dragons going in-depth about how they are often shunned due to slow growth and such... But it does not list when they reach new age categories, and accrue bonuses and penalties.

And furthermore, do Half-dragons, like Dragons and dragonwrought kobolds escape from aging penalties? Or do they gain penalties just as normal humans? Am I just blind, or is it actually not listed? Or in such a case, where is it listed?

The table that says dragonwrought don't take aging penalties says to see the feat, and all that says is that you gain the Dragon type. Therefore immunity to aging penalties is a function of type and not anything special from the feat.

As far as age categories, maybe "upgrade" one level? Like, half-dragon human would use dwarf years and a half-dragon dwarf would use elf years? It does say that elf half-dragons can rival real dragons so we know whatever the bonus needs to be it's a pretty big percentage increase.

Absent any other actual information, they would use the same aging periods as the base race. I suppose a quick-and-dirty approach would be to just tack an extra 0 onto the end of the age charts for whatever the base race is, but that would result in, say, a half-dragon Elf being longer-lived than a number of actual Dragons (according to Draconomicon, for instance, the lesser chromatic dragons go into decline at 2,200 years, while an Elf of 10x lifespan would have a minimum life of 3,500 and then up to another 4,000 after reaching Venerable.) Which may or may not be a problem for your world; perhaps Half-Dragon ancestry is a known way of becoming near-immortal for these races, and the dragons themselves encourage it as a way to have their influence extend far beyond their personal lifespans.

Well, if you made it x5 instead of x10 for chromatic ancestry that would be about right. Dragonwrought supports that. That seems like the best way. :smallsmile:

Kuulvheysoon
2012-05-06, 07:57 PM

Half-Dragons usually share the heritage of a less long-lived race and so might endure for no more than a few centuries. Still, they are granted far more time than most, and those born of an elf-dragon union can challenge ancient wyrms for longevity

So, by the looks of it, they can live for an incredibly long time. Tacking an extra zero onto it for races who's maximum age is less than 200 years and multiplying it by 5 for elves, dwarves, etc... might work here.

White_Drake
2012-05-06, 11:05 PM
I thought that true dragons were essentially immortal? :smallconfused:

Marnath
2012-05-06, 11:10 PM
I thought that dragons were essentially immortal? :smallconfused:

Nope. 2100 to 4400 years based on species. Not unlimited but it might as well be considering all the shenanigans you could get up to in that amount of time.

*edit: I should point out that those numbers are based on a formula that considers the dragon's charisma, so you could live longer if you had a better charisma than a typical great wyrm of your species.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-05-07, 12:20 AM
I thought that true dragons were essentially immortal? :smallconfused:

They can be if they take all 12 levels of Dragon Ascendant (Dra) and become immortal as the capstone!