PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companions for 1st Level Rangers

White_Drake
2012-05-06, 08:02 PM
I want to play a halfling ranger who rides his animal companion (a wolf re-fluffed into a jungle cat) into combat, but I don't want to have to wait until 4th level to do so; my question to you is, are there any published ACFs that give rangers animal companions at 1st level, and if not what could a reasonable one possibly be?

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-06, 08:17 PM
I don't know any rangers that get their animal companion at a faster rate in 3.5, but oddly enough UA has a variant for Bard and Sorcerers to get an animal companion at the rate of a druid... if its any conselation.
@V Reread the SRD just now, Bards get as druid but the sorc variant gets half progression.

Lateral
2012-05-06, 08:18 PM
I don't know any rangers that get their animal companion at a faster rate in 3.5, but oddly enough UA has a variant for Bard and Sorcerers to get an animal companion at the rate of a druid... if its any conselation.

Half the rate of a druid. They're treated as a druid of half their level.

Seerow
2012-05-06, 08:19 PM
First I'd suggest talking to your DM seriously about making a houserule to switch Ranger and Druid animal companions. Rangers can use the help, and Druids could use the nerf.

Barring that Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) is your best bet, giving you an animal companion at level 1, no prereqs and only slightly weaker than the druid's.

IdleMuse
2012-05-06, 08:20 PM
The Wild Cohort feat seems to be what you're after.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a

That way you can actually use an ACF to switch _out_ the default companion, and the options for that are pretty good:

- If you're going the spellcasting route, the Shooting Star substitution levels are pretty good. (Champions of Valour)
- If you have a rogue in the party, Distracting Attack could be amazing. (PHB2)

The other options aren't as attractive:
- Spiritual Guide, meh, some skill bonuses. (Complete Champion)
- Celestial Slayer: If you're evil in an anti-good campaign, this is pretty decent. Otherwise, no. (Exemplars of Evil)
- Urban Companion: probably the best of the alternatives to a animal companion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)

Spuddles
2012-05-06, 08:28 PM
Warbeast Wild Cohort, then stack Ranger Animal Companion on that when you hit 4th level.

White_Drake
2012-05-06, 08:45 PM
It seems that my question has changed to: are there any ACFs that give a ranger a bonus feat a 1st level?

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-06, 08:48 PM
It seems that my question has changed to: are there any ACFs that give a ranger a bonus feat a 1st level?

yes, Human Ranger :smalltongue:. Strongheart Halflings get a bonus feat at level 1. Fighters get bonus feats. You'll always get a feat at level 1 anyway. I always thought part of being a ranger was having a bunch of bonus feats chosen for you(Combat Style).
@V I can make myself look like an idiot all on my own. Look at me retroactively respond!

White_Drake
2012-05-06, 08:52 PM
I don't suppose that there's an answer that makes me look like less of an idiot? :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2012-05-06, 08:54 PM
Warbeast Wild Cohort, then stack Ranger Animal Companion on that when you hit 4th level.
That's not how it works, at all:

Special: Druids and rangers who take the wild cohort feat gain an animal cohort in addition to their animal companion. Although the two abilities are similar, they follow different sets of rules and must be tracked separately.

White_Drake
2012-05-06, 10:55 PM
Okay, after looking at my options I've roughed out a build
Race:
Strongheart Halfling
Racial Variant:
Wild
Classes:
Ranger 11
Scout 4
Barbarian 3
Halfling Outrider 3
Class Variants:
Spirit Lion Totem (Barbarian)
Ferocity (Barbarian)
Trapkiller (Barbarian)
Champion of the Wild (Ranger)
Feats:
Mounted Combat
Mounted Archery
Wild Cohort
Weapon Finesse
Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting
Improved Initiative
Swift Hunter
Ride-By Attack
Spirited Charge
Improved Critical (Cavalry Sabre)
Traits:
Agressive
Uncivilized
Flaws:
Mounted Warrior
Pride of Arms

The Cavalry Sabre, which I will be dual-wielding, is a weapon from a 3rd party book (I got DM approval), which is essentially a longsword that deals double damage on a mounted charge like a lance (triple with spirited charge). Did I miss anything? I'd like to find something better than Outrider for those 3 levels, but I couldn't find anything; are there any decent mounted PrCs? Is there a mounted warrior handbook somewhere on this forum?

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-06, 11:07 PM
FYI, that's somewhat of an overpowered weapon. Also, you will take penalties when two weapon fighting with non light weapons. Also, cavalry sabers are already statted up in D&D, in Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (and I think some other books as well).

Namfuak
2012-05-06, 11:19 PM
Okay, after looking at my options I've roughed out a build
Race:
Strongheart Halfling
Racial Variant:
Wild
Classes:
Ranger 11
Scout 4
Barbarian 3
Halfling Outrider 3
Class Variants:
Spirit Lion Totem (Barbarian)
Ferocity (Barbarian)
Trapkiller (Barbarian)
Champion of the Wild (Ranger)
Feats:
Mounted Combat
Mounted Archery
Wild Cohort
Weapon Finesse
Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting
Improved Initiative
Swift Hunter
Ride-By Attack
Spirited Charge
Improved Critical (Cavalry Sabre)
Traits:
Agressive
Uncivilized
Flaws:
Mounted Warrior
Pride of Arms

The Cavalry Sabre, which I will be dual-wielding, is a weapon from a 3rd party book (I got DM approval), which is essentially a longsword that deals double damage on a mounted charge like a lance (triple with spirited charge). Did I miss anything? I'd like to find something better than Outrider for those 3 levels, but I couldn't find anything; are there any decent mounted PrCs? Is there a mounted warrior handbook somewhere on this forum?

Wild Plains Outrider (Complete Adventurer) is a pretty nifty class. It's only 3 levels, but the capstone lets you make a full attack even if your mount takes a single move action. The only problem is that technically it requires a rideable animal companion or paladin mount, but ignoring that requirement and the first class feature (that the outrider levels add to animal companion level, since that's already true from cohort) wouldn't make it significantly more powerful or hard to implement.

White_Drake
2012-05-07, 12:59 AM
FYI, that's somewhat of an overpowered weapon. Also, you will take penalties when two weapon fighting with non light weapons.

How so? It's basically a re-fluffed lance; replace X3 crit with 19-20 X2, lower the weight a bit, give it p/s instead of just piercing, take away the reach and you're there. Granted, you can use the sabre on foot one-handed, but I think that the power level is about the same. Also, note where I put Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting.

I looked at the Wild Plains Outrider, but believe that I can get better than its capstone with a 1st level Barbarian ACF (pounce) , if that doesn't work by itself I can get a Leopard for a mount by 4th level, and both me and my mount having pounce ought to turn the trick. In all likely-hood, my mount's Move Silently will be enough for any mounted sneaking I'll be doing. Really all that leaves is a +3 on ride checks, not really something I'm interested in.

Gwendol
2012-05-07, 05:43 AM
When you are mounted it is the mount that's doing the charging, so it is the one that has to have pounce (not unlikely for a cat though). The rider can't benefit from having pounce since he/she isn't charging. Mounted combat rules are wonky, make sure to work out how to deal with charges and related combat moves with your DM.

Amphetryon
2012-05-07, 07:21 AM
What is a "Wild" racial variant Strongheart Halfling? They're two separate racial variants, AFAIK.

Pilo
2012-05-07, 08:09 AM
Do you really need it to be an animal compagnon?
You can just buy it or raise it with Handle Animal and Wild empathy?
As you can see in this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#mountsAndRelatedGear), you can buy animals.

When you will have enough experience, say this animal become your animal compagnon.

White_Drake
2012-05-07, 10:51 AM
First off, yes I'd prefer it be an animal companion, because they're generally more powerful, cost less, and it's easier for 1st level charcters to get a wide variety. Second, by Wild racial variant I meant the Wild Environmental template from Dragon. I want to say issue 306 or so, but I can't really remember (AFB).