PDA

View Full Version : How To Be Damned (To Baator, That Is)

Entreri
2012-05-07, 11:14 AM
Greetings, all. My first post here at Giant in the Playground! I have a quick question for anyone who cares to answer. How exactly do you become one of the damned to the Nine Hells? In 3.5, you typically had to be Lawful Evil or sell your soul to an archdevil/harvester demon in order to go to Baator. I know that selling your soul to a devil is obviously one of the quickest routes, as well as being an unfortunate outsider soul on one of the dominion border islands during a devil slave raid. But how else does one find themselves damned to that unholy realm?

Vknight
2012-05-07, 11:32 AM
Evil acts generally help lead one down the path of the dark side.
From sacrificing infants. To contact with devils. to mass murder for magical power. As long as the evil is structure you go to devils.
But if its chaotic and random with no rhyme nor reason those demons show far greater interest in one

Mandrake
2012-05-07, 01:00 PM
Does it have to be "damned" or just somehow getting there (unwillingly)?

If it's the latter, then it can be any number of things - a powerful someone taking them there, wrong veil read on a portal (every dominion has it's color - if they take the wrong one they might get anywhere), a magical mistake.
Consider also being "damned" not by the evil, but by the good guys - imagine a deity strong and angry enough with them, if you know what I mean ^^.

Hope it helps, Cheers!

Entreri
2012-05-07, 03:36 PM
Those help, yes, but what I mean is damned, as in, when you die, you get sent there. Asmodeus is said to have designed the place to capture souls, but what happens?

How do you get sent to Baator when you die?

Do you have to:

A: Sell your soul?
B: Just be evil and not worship some other deity like Zehir?
C: Worship Asmodeus/Dispater/etc?
D: Can you visit the Nine Hells while still alive and then, if you die there, do you become one of the damned unwillingly and automatically?
E: Get your spirit snatched halfway through the Shadowfell en route to Letherna and get dragged there?

What I mean to ask is, how do you end up there when your mortal existence is lost?

Giggling Ghast
2012-05-07, 04:30 PM
As I see it, you have to bargain with a devil to be sent to the Nine Hells in 4E. All other souls pass to the Shadowfell and are eventually called up to the realm of their respective deities or pass to somewhere beyond the Shadowfell. (They might also get shunted to one of the Domains of Dread.)