PDA

View Full Version : Redwing Privateers (OOC)



Pages : [1] 2

Space Lawyer
2012-05-07, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the ship's galley! Come here to relax, go OOC, and post questions/comments.

Here are the players:
InexorableTruth as Vervesh the Dragon Shaman (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=393507)
GnomeGninjas as Hamrin the Friendly Privateer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=392957)
TheSquirrel as Pete the Cook (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=394275)
HearTheRequiem as Rodrigo Marquez the hexblade (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=396826)
TechnoScrabble as Hanak the Witch Doctor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=397798)
xyzombie as Silas the Rogue (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=397901)

The ship sets sail Wednesday night.

HearTheRequiem
2012-05-07, 03:49 PM
Hello hello!

I would like Dark Slate Blue to talk in please~

TechnoScrabble
2012-05-07, 04:22 PM
Hanak chooses MediumTurqoise, the color of the vicious sea!

inexorabletruth
2012-05-07, 04:48 PM
Keeping with my dark red motif. I'll go add my character to my signature now.

GnomeGninjas
2012-05-07, 06:41 PM
Could I use Italics?

The Squirrel
2012-05-07, 07:36 PM
Hmmmm, naval/kitchen white might keep with my theme, but in the interest of readability I might go with green for speech

Space Lawyer
2012-05-08, 07:46 PM
I'd prefer the use of a color, GnomeGninjas. Ship names are usually in italics.

Your ship is the Redwing. It is a caravel, with three decks and three masts. The sails are lateen close to shore and among the islands, but it carries spares to be re-rigged with square sails on the open ocean. They are red-dyed, giving the ship its name. There are two ballista mounted on the foredeck, usually rigged with chained bolts. On the quarterdeck, there is a catapult. Float bladders are on the deck. Equipment lockers hold oilskins, cutlasses, and daggers.

GnomeGninjas
2012-05-09, 05:26 AM
I'll use Dimgray.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-09, 10:41 AM
:smallbiggrin:

We start today. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt9riXQUIDw)

:smallbiggrin:

Space Lawyer
2012-05-09, 12:18 PM
The ship has come into port. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13200244#post13200244)

xyzombie
2012-05-10, 08:00 PM
Huzzah. I shall be posting in Dark Orchid.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-12, 02:54 PM
I'm going to try to implement the orcish accent. I always forget that part. Big tusks are going to mess up the way he talks. Derp.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-18, 01:58 PM
Does what I learn count as a circumstance bonus towards sailing and Kn. Geo (when reading a map)?

inexorabletruth
2012-05-21, 05:38 PM
I'm assuming a certain degree of insight and experience regarding military tactics and battle, since that's what orcs do best. With INT 12, it's okay if he's smarter than the average bear, but let me know if I'm overdoing it.

@ GnomeGninjas: Hamrin gets to benefit from my Aura now as long as we remain within 30' of each other. Add +1 to Spot, Listen, and Initiative.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-29, 01:14 AM
Hello? Anyone there?

TechnoScrabble
2012-05-29, 02:15 AM
I am. Been waiting.

Space Lawyer
2012-05-29, 05:36 AM
Sorry, I've been waiting for xyzombie to post. I'm just going to call him an DM PC until he shows back up.

inexorabletruth
2012-05-29, 01:57 PM
Oh crap! I'm a day sleeper! I just woke up! Can we assume that Hamrin and Versvesh followed orders, found a hiding spot to camp out, have now spotted the ship and are en route to intercept all stealthy-like?

inexorabletruth
2012-05-29, 02:21 PM
FYI, Versvesh and Hamrin each get a +1 to initiative. Mine is set with the +1 by default (that's the Misc modifier on my character sheet) so I have +4 to initiative. After initiative is rolled, I want to switch my Aura to Power, giving us (Hamrin and Versvesh) +1 to melee damage.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-01, 06:15 AM
Did my 22 in spot help me at all?

Space Lawyer
2012-06-01, 06:37 AM
Yeah, sorry, that was my fault again. I mislabeled the spoiler. It was your's, not Hamrin's.

The Squirrel
2012-06-01, 12:40 PM
Shoot, forgot the spell chance failure for my shirt; 1-10 is bad for me:
[roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-06-01, 02:25 PM
Climb DC = 5 so I auto succeed, but climbing is at quarter speed.

@DM: How many rounds will it take for me to make it to the deck?

Space Lawyer
2012-06-01, 03:03 PM
2.5 rounds if you make the checks to move faster, 5 if you don't.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-01, 11:16 PM
Climb Check: [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-06-05, 12:48 PM
At GnomeGninjas, you don't get any bennies for ranged weapons with my aura. Just melee damage.

The Squirrel
2012-06-05, 09:31 PM
they can't yell at him for being a coward or being weak.

"You coward! Engaging them from range - you too weak to stand toe to toe with them?!?" :smalltongue:

Very nice shot though!

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-06, 05:43 AM
"You coward! Engaging them from range - you too weak to stand toe to toe with them?!?" :smalltongue:

Very nice shot though!

Okay, well they can call me a coward but they can't say I didn't contribute.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-06, 04:37 PM
Just hanging out for my 2.5 rounds. Man... I picked the absolute slowest possible way to get a piece of this action.

The Squirrel
2012-06-06, 11:00 PM
Okay, well they can call me a coward but they can't say I didn't contribute.

challenge accepted!
"Wow, did you see that spear that came out of nowhere from the far side of the ship? Versvesh really knows his stuff; maybe Hamrin could learn a thing or two and actually contribute next time":smalltongue:


Just hanging out for my 2.5 rounds. Man... I picked the absolute slowest possible way to get a piece of this action.

Ah, no way you could have known what the Fresia would spoon their sense motive check and let us close in. Had the ships started at 40 ft away it would be a completely different situation.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-07, 10:31 PM
True, The Squirrel. I suppose it's a good problem to have. :smallamused:

So, cgrela... what is the initiative order?

inexorabletruth
2012-06-08, 02:27 PM
True, true. I suppose it's a good problem to have. :smallamused:

BTW... do we know what Initiative is yet?

inexorabletruth
2012-06-08, 02:29 PM
Dang it, Forum! Quit hiding my posts. Yeesh.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-09, 06:35 AM
:smallfurious: Forum... I'm not kidding this time.

Space Lawyer
2012-06-09, 06:48 AM
Ok, now I can see your posts, and answer your questions. :smallsmile:

Initiative is I rolled your initiatives and averaged them, versus the average of the enemy's initiative. I've been having the enemies go in order of their initiative to see what they actually do, then posting it as one large block to both cut down on number of posts, and to (hopefully) make it a better story. It seems to just flow better, rather, than one enemy going, then waiting on two of you to go, then you all waiting on me, etc.

Overall, thanks for bearing with me. This is the first PbP game I've DM'd. If you have any suggestions on what would make it a better game for you, just say so.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-09, 06:59 AM
You're doing great, cgrela. Only thing I can say, is, we'll (especially me) need to know when it's our turn to post, even if we have an enemy turn block, then a PC turn block, because as far as we know, we're still in the surprise round. My entire surprise round has been used up to make a move action. So I have to count 1 and a half more rounds before I can do anything other than climb.

Can I just assume that you'll PM me or post OOC when I'm on the deck of the ship? That might work.

Space Lawyer
2012-06-09, 07:01 AM
At this point, two rounds have passed, so you're half a round away.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-09, 12:21 PM
Ok. Then I'll post my actions with backup actions, so that I don't hold up the game when it's my turn.

Well... those were some crap rolls. :smalltongue:

The Squirrel
2012-06-09, 02:47 PM
Okay, so I reposted with correct rolling commands (and of course karma dictated that the rolls be terrible).
As I understand it, we're doing group initiative with all of us going whenever we can post and team Them going when all of team Us have gone? Overall, I think what you're doing will work very well for PbP (though I've only done a few of these). The only suggestion I may have is a spoiler with a round count number at the end of every GM battle post. Oh, and I want a pony:smallbiggrin:

inexorabletruth
2012-06-09, 05:12 PM
Pony? Psh. I want a dire seahorse mount. That's standard issue. All PbP DM's are supposed to give their players dire seahorse mounts... that can also fly... and shoot lasers from their eyes.

Plus, we're supposed to get 100 XP every time we post in IC. I'm pretty sure that's in the rules...
Don't roll a sense motive...

Space Lawyer
2012-06-09, 06:18 PM
Pony? Psh. I want a dire seahorse mount. That's standard issue. All PbP DM's are supposed to give their players dire seahorse mounts... that can also fly... and shoot lasers from their eyes

IT SHALL BE DONE!

TechnoScrabble
2012-06-09, 09:18 PM
Hanak says the sea mother demands waffles.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-10, 03:51 AM
IT SHALL BE DONE!

So much win... I think I'm going to cry.

The Squirrel
2012-06-10, 02:45 PM
So now we're just waiting on Requiem?

inexorabletruth
2012-06-10, 02:57 PM
We are? I assumed he dropped out because his character isn't in his sig anymore. Should someone PM him? I'll PM him.

HearTheRequiem
2012-06-10, 03:45 PM
I'm so sorry for making everyone wait :smallfrown: I'm still here, I just got some pretty awful news a couple days ago that's shaken me a little and I kind of lost track of things, but I'd still like to play!

inexorabletruth
2012-06-10, 06:40 PM
Requiem! :smalleek: What happened?

HearTheRequiem
2012-06-11, 04:09 AM
A close family friend died this weekend, and I kind of lost track of things :smallfrown: I'm sorry!

inexorabletruth
2012-06-11, 04:52 AM
Nothing to apologize for. My condolences.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-11, 06:15 PM
ROFLMAO! I am so amused by how that worked out, cgrela.

The Squirrel
2012-06-15, 03:57 PM
Anyone else care to join in the looting of the captain's cabin? Otherwise, if Pete's alone he's likely to claim sole ownership of any Blendtec 4000 industrial blenders that the captain may have hidden away...



The mark is found only on jugs of Kraken Black Fire Rum. The water is from the Plane of Water. It is never to be used for cooking or medicine, or before approaching a good deity. Drinking it often has unpredictable magical effects.


So if the water is not for cooking, is it for drinking? I think there may be experimentation later...
I'm marking all barrels of elemental water for capture - I'm sure there's some normal water somewhere on board for the crew.

Space Lawyer
2012-06-15, 04:05 PM
Haha, no, I meant the water for the rum. The water is just regular fresh water. I should have specified.

The Squirrel
2012-06-15, 04:22 PM
Got it - no rum cake :smallmad:

So still marking out some water barrels to leave for the crew, but I think that rum just might be opened tonight in celebration... that way instead of just one person being compromised by the magical effects, we'll all have a just a little taint :smallamused:

inexorabletruth
2012-06-15, 04:24 PM
Versvesh is just following the captain's orders at this point. We have a job to do and he wants to get it done as quickly and efficiently as possible. As far as he's concerned (LG alignment) all this loot is now property of the King, though if it's acceptable policy to lay claim to the odd trophy, he wouldn't mind claiming any alchemical items they possess. He likes to becalm enemy ships by wrecking their sails with alchemical fire.

The Squirrel
2012-06-15, 04:42 PM
I had assumed all loot was the ship's and the captain would divide it later - though depending on the specific letter of marquee we're operating under, I suppose a share (large or small) might be due the republic. I suppose the captain will take care of the split. Either way, Pete's under the assumption that any booty that would be of general use to the ship could be taken, so long as ownership is still recognized as being the Redwing's. For example, Pete intends to bring the copper pan (which he's excited about) down to the galley and put it to use, though the captain will be informed and if Pete doesn't request it as part of his share, he expects that it will be sold/fenced at the next port (though he would request it as part of his share). Of course, being not strictly lawful, he may be tempted by something awesome...
"What? No! I brought this high volume variable speed mixer with me when I came over to search the ship! Of course I've always had it!"
Bluff [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2012-06-17, 12:51 AM
Lol.

I'll try not to meta a sense motive should that come up. :smallwink:

Space Lawyer
2012-06-17, 05:33 PM
If no one else wants to be in the captain's room, I'll put up Pete's search result soon. Gotta think of a good way to describe it though. Right now it just exists as a list.

The Squirrel
2012-06-17, 09:50 PM
*crosses fingers*
"C'mon mithril egg whisk!"

inexorabletruth
2012-06-17, 10:07 PM
:smallconfused:

Were we supposed to be looking in the captain's cabin? As I posted earlier, I'm just following the cap's orders. It's all a team effort for Versvesh. If you want him to go to the cabin, he'll go.

Space Lawyer
2012-06-21, 07:14 PM
Hamrin is confused. The captain doesn't ask his crew for advice and he certainly doesn't ask me! This is very strange. Hamrin gives no response and just listens to how others respond.

Privateer and pirate ships were actually run in a democratic manner outside of combat. It was only in a situation where a clear chain of command was absolutely necessary that the captain had absolute power, and did not seek the opinion of the crew.

Plus, this method keeps me from being a jerk and railroading you folks.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-21, 08:13 PM
Is the map in a language you can't read?

inexorabletruth
2012-06-21, 09:30 PM
Revealing a hidden post.

Space Lawyer
2012-06-21, 09:36 PM
It is in a language none of you can read.

The Squirrel
2012-06-23, 12:33 PM
Would it be rude to suggest that we continue and Requiem can jump back in whenever he's ready?

Space Lawyer
2012-06-23, 01:07 PM
I guess not. I'll post IC when I'm at a computer.

inexorabletruth
2012-06-27, 12:09 AM
Well what I'm doing tickles the chin of unlawful behavior. But, his true leader is the cap'n... so I guess tricking the customs agent still counts as lawful good?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u7jVxE4YZQ0/TqAtnihnLnI/AAAAAAAAAJY/qSvWELbCdRo/s1600/pleading2.jpg

GnomeGninjas
2012-06-27, 05:25 AM
Privateer and pirate ships were actually run in a democratic manner outside of combat. It was only in a situation where a clear chain of command was absolutely necessary that the captain had absolute power, and did not seek the opinion of the crew.

Plus, this method keeps me from being a jerk and railroading you folks.

I know, just in Hamrin's backstory he grew up on a navy ship which wasn't like that at all and he isn't used to democracy. I apriciate you not railroading us.

The Squirrel
2012-06-30, 06:10 PM
Based on the decipher script roll I previously made, do I think a comprehend languages spell work?

TechnoScrabble
2012-07-01, 10:22 AM
Hanak sez:
"Only law is that of ship and sea! Other laws not real!"

Space Lawyer
2012-07-01, 12:42 PM
Comprehend languages will definitely work. The map may be more complicated than that though.

The Squirrel
2012-07-03, 12:13 AM
OK, I'm assuming that Pete could have taken enough of the coin in the Fresia captain's room to pay for at least one scroll of comprehend languages (especially since sailing into port he was expecting to restock some food provisions), but did the crew divvy up any other loot for personal spending, or will that come after the republic takes its cut and the remaining booty is sold?

Space Lawyer
2012-07-03, 11:23 AM
The republic gets first dibs on any booty, so the crew will get its share after that. The stuff you found is rightfully yours though. It might not be a totally accurate way of doing things, but I'm doing it for story purposes.

The Squirrel
2012-07-03, 01:13 PM
So the captain knows about the stuff, but we've kept it as part of our share (and/or bonus). I'm not sure Pete would try to keep that much stuff from the captain.
How easy would it be to sell the art objects? Were any of the items magical?

Space Lawyer
2012-07-03, 03:12 PM
Basically, you guys got the bonus for being the first ones on the Fresia, and your contributions to the battle. You can give objects back to ship as a whole to be divided as part of the share. As for selling the objects, it would be as easy as your characters make it. Roleplay it. You have no idea if any of the objects were magical, but in the interest of saving you folks an identify and its stupidly expensive component, I'll just tell you that none of the loot you got or will get from your share is magical.

The Squirrel
2012-07-03, 03:57 PM
OK, so Pete has the items, some of which he now definitely wants to try and sell, since he's using essentially party funds....

Wouldn't detect magic let me know if anything is magical? Not to identify anything mind you, just whether something is magical or not?

The Squirrel
2012-07-05, 09:13 AM
I'll just assume Pete says what he says when you all leave the store.
Thanks! I jumped the gun, not realizing anyone else wanted to talk to Daz :)

Space Lawyer
2012-07-08, 07:24 PM
So, what are you folks planning to do? I can expedite if need be.

inexorabletruth
2012-07-09, 07:24 AM
As for Versvesh, his supplies are full, and his needs are met. He doesn't really have any money, so there's not much he can do. If there's a Draconic temple in the area, he might want to poke his head in to pay homage, but for the most part, he's just along for the ride, so we can move the story along as soon as everyone else is ready.

The Squirrel
2012-07-12, 05:09 PM
Hi all, sorry haven't been checking in for the past few days. Pete just watches at the blacksmith; as far as other goals in the town, he'd like to offload some of the art and also use the comp languages scroll (at a bar maybe) just in case the translation indicates any other supplies/maps we may need. Not adverse to playing this stuff out, but until we're done in the blacksmith, Pete will just watch patiently.

inexorabletruth
2012-07-13, 11:33 AM
There's very little Versvesh can do without money. I'll gladly RP some stuff, but I literally have no money. He spent all of it trying to locate his long-lost brother, Hamrin.

Versvesh is curious by nature, and would love a side-quest. But, just FYI, he's not particularly civilized. He's at home in the water or out in the wild... and among the people of his unusual Orc tribe. So he's going to struggle a bit in the city.

The Squirrel
2012-07-14, 02:17 PM
and here I feel silly - I was waiting so that we could go somewhere to sell some stuff and we were already where we might be able to offload a few items...:smalltongue:


P.S. I posted in the IC, but it's not showing up in the thread summary - but I do see it in the actual thread... weird

inexorabletruth
2012-07-26, 11:27 AM
Sorry, Versvesh is not officially aware that something is going down in the bar. So he's busy playing Orphan Quest. If he can't find a temple or monastery, then he may have just found a new Dragon Disciple. :smallamused:

The Squirrel
2012-07-26, 05:56 PM
No worries, it'll be good to have someone to bail us out if a bar fight breaks out and everyone is arrested :)

Space Lawyer
2012-07-26, 07:27 PM
inexorabletruth, its really up to you if the temple will take the girl or not. If you want a new disciple, they're full up.

inexorabletruth
2012-08-01, 12:07 PM
*Triumphant Arm Pump!*

Hells to tha' yeah! Rollin'

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

I always assumed she was human, but I could let the dice decide. We'll use the guidelines in DMG, pg. 139 for racial mix. Since this is a port town, I'll assume this is a racially integrated town.

[roll6]
Halfling it is. She's going to be a bit of an underdog for a Dragon Shaman, but I'll do what I can.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-01, 12:09 PM
I'll let you reroll that 7 or just use a 28 point buy (she is child after all).

inexorabletruth
2012-08-01, 12:11 PM
Re-rolling the 7:
[roll0]

The Squirrel
2012-08-01, 02:05 PM
Halfling it is. She's going to be a bit of an underdog for a Dragon Shaman, but I'll do what I can.

Sometimes those characters are the most memorable. I have fond recollections of a campaign I was in where the front liner was a gnome with a greatsword while the ogre wizard stayed near the back and/or the periphery casting spells at targets of opportunity :smallsmile:

inexorabletruth
2012-08-05, 12:57 PM
Tru dat, Squirrel.

My favorite games are low-op, too.

I think this is going to add a fun dynamic to Versvesh as well. I plan on RP'ing the mentoring process. I'm even going to dedicate time to teach her Draconic when there's not much going on in the open sea.

BTW, cgrela... how do you want to handle Rel? Am I controlling her character now, or are you? Or to give her a unique identity, did you want someone else to play her?

The Squirrel
2012-08-05, 08:09 PM
Hamrin likes Pete and doesn't like the angry looks he gets when he impales people with spears in the middle of town.

Did this happen in Hamrin's past? :smalleek:

Space Lawyer
2012-08-06, 12:18 PM
I'll just let you control Rel, most of the time. She may not be available for certain tasks. She will have duties of her own on the ship, besides being your apprentice.

Space Lawyer
2012-08-16, 06:08 AM
Do you folks want a move-along post to get you down to the docks for a fight, or do you still have business in town/near the ship?

The Squirrel
2012-08-16, 02:22 PM
There's not really anything I need to do back at the ship; by my posts I've tried to imply that I'd definitely help spread the news among the ship and ensure that at least some people are staying behind, but beyond that I should be set.

inexorabletruth
2012-08-17, 09:34 AM
I'm thinking about taking Rel with me to the fight to observe. I don't wish to abandon her just moments after adopting her, and this will be a good chance for her to learn about honorable combat, which is what Versvesh is hoping will be displayed.

As soon as Rel is fed, we're ready to rock... so fast forward at will, sir.

The Squirrel
2012-08-17, 09:37 AM
Honorable combat? You're lucky Pete can't cast improved invisibility yet :smalltongue:

inexorabletruth
2012-08-17, 09:54 AM
LOL! Versvesh wouldn't consider that cheating anyway. The lesson to learn in that is don't eff with a wizard :smallwink:... which Versvesh intends to impart that lesson to Rel in this fight, along with whatever other educational opportunities that may come up.

inexorabletruth
2012-08-29, 09:36 PM
Excellent fight. I guess you could say TheSquirrel's got nuts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeMwHZrUbVA).

The Squirrel
2012-09-01, 12:03 PM
:smallsmile:

Well, I honestly thought that the fight would not turn out as well. If he was not a human, I my damage output would have been halved and I think in much trouble. That said, my spell selection today was pretty much useless in a duel.

Overall, much fun though!

Space Lawyer
2012-09-01, 12:09 PM
Good to hear. Is there anything you folks have a particular desire to do? I have a vague plan involving the map, but it is rather flexible and open to change.

The Squirrel
2012-09-01, 02:16 PM
Pete would like to get to the local market for fresh produce before embarkation and I suppose we would want to visit a cartographer for map related reasons, but I have no desire (or desire against really) about roleplaying that out.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-02, 03:07 PM
Versvesh is content with his new pet projects. He'll be content to bond with Hamrin, while serving as a teacher/father figure for Rel, whether they're on land or at sea.

Due to the fact that Versvesh grew up secluded, he's having a difficult time having an agenda, because he doesn't know what the world has to offer. He liked looking at the helmets in the armory, but still doesn't possess the cash flow to stock up on cool new gear, and wouldn't know what to do with heavy armor while swimming anyway.

So, in short... Versesh is cool going with the flow.

GnomeGninjas
2012-09-03, 06:46 AM
I'm sorry for not posting in the ooc. I often forget to check it so if there is something I have to respond to in it please PM me.



Did this happen in Hamrin's past? :smalleek:

Yes.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-06, 09:26 AM
Since Pete's ribs are sore, an extra set of muscle couldn't hurt. Versvesh would make an excellent pack mule.

He's carrying 18.9 lbs of stuff, but has a drag capacity of 2000 lbs. So lets load up for the voyage, mate!

inexorabletruth
2012-09-10, 03:52 PM
I sure hope we didn't just run into a big pile of loot.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_554/1289082190pog8H3.jpg

Or some XP.

The Squirrel
2012-09-10, 05:12 PM
That'd be an awfully large number of lutes to create a pile big enough to rock a ship...

http://www.tabulatura.com/SID38.JPG

inexorabletruth
2012-09-10, 05:56 PM
Yes... it would.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100702150415/simpsons/images/6/6a/Mr_Burns_evil.gif

Space Lawyer
2012-09-10, 06:38 PM
...Your banter draws a pun-opus. It comes screaming from the deep, raises its mighty arms and slaughters the crew in a fit of rage.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/008/301/christian_bale_american_psycho_patrick_bateman_axe _10989289_RE_PwnzElite_has_declared_war_on_Grammar _Nazis-s400x300-173837.jpg

inexorabletruth
2012-09-10, 09:56 PM
:smalleek:

I'll be good.

The Squirrel
2012-09-10, 11:32 PM
Yes, he'll be good! We promise he'll be good!

The Squirrel
2012-09-11, 04:13 PM
Modify that listen check: I forgot that alertness was already accounted for on my character sheet and furthermore it's worth +2 and not +3 as I remembered... :smallredface:

So my listen check should actually clock in at 1d20+2=19.



Please pardon our error as we return you to your regularly scheduled banter

inexorabletruth
2012-09-12, 09:04 AM
Keep your bonuses, Squirrel. My standard Aura is Senses. All allies within 30' get a +1 to Spot, Listen, and Initiative.

@Cgrela:

If I spot the threat, my Dodge bonus is against the threat closest to me.
If the crew members look badly hurt, I'm going to switch my Aura to Vigor, which restores 1 HP per round of all allies within 30' of me (as long as they have half or less of their max HP. I'm pretty sure this also stabilizes anyone who is dying.)

If they look fine, I'm going to switch my Aura to Power, which gives us a +1 to melee damage rolls. (Same 30' radius.)
The new Aura will take effect on my turn in the INIT. (Which I get a +4 to.)

inexorabletruth
2012-09-15, 10:00 AM
Who's turn is it? I'm confused. :smallconfused: Here's what I have on the initiative order:


Hamrin (GnomeGninjas): 11
Versvesh (inexorabletruth): 8
Pete (TheSquirrel): 5
Snake Monster and rest of crew (cgrela): Unknown Init, but first or last, depending on whether or not we are considered "aware" by definition on DMG pg. 24

Space Lawyer
2012-09-16, 05:20 PM
I wrote the initatives backwards. Sorry about that. Your initiative order is correct. I went on a really intense dive today, so it is unlikely I'll post IC today.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-17, 10:21 AM
BWAHAHAHA! Versvesh SMASH! 38 damage on my first round attack, if I critted! *crosses them fingers*

BTW, we're not fighting any kind of dragon are we? My battle cry was in draconic in case the monster we're fighting has enough intelligence to speak.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-17, 09:41 PM
BTW, I just realized my AC was lower than it should be.

I get +4 from armor, +1 from TWD and +3 from DEX for a total of 18.
+1 from Dodge against the snake I'm currently fighting, so 19 vs that guy.

Not a great AC, but better than it was.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-21, 11:09 AM
Isn't it Hamrin's turn? Should we PM him?

The Squirrel
2012-09-21, 11:16 AM
I myself was waiting for the results of the fortitude save as I have an inkling that Pete might not even be able to do anything...

Wait, does getting eaten count as something? :smallfrown: :smalltongue:

The Squirrel
2012-09-21, 12:02 PM
Is it paralyzation? I.e. can I keep concentrating on the active mage hand and if so, is trying to break free a standard action? Or to put it another way: will the choice be between trying to resist or keeping the sunrod aloft?

Space Lawyer
2012-09-21, 12:37 PM
Pete is paralyzed. You can keep concentrating on the mage hand. Trying to break free on your next turn is a free action.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-22, 09:22 AM
If Pete is paralyzed, then I'm going to assume that Versvesh is as well, since I rolled lower than him. So... here goes my save. I don't know the save DC, so I can't continue with my turn until I know if that worked or not.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-22, 09:25 AM
BTW, I hope everyone is remembering their +1 bonus to melee damage. Being paralyzed doesn't make me lose that aura.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-25, 12:55 PM
Nice shot, Hamrin!

@cgrela: does that mean we're free and can move again on our turn?

Space Lawyer
2012-09-25, 12:56 PM
Yep, you're good to go on your next turn.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-25, 04:22 PM
Heh heh...
http://www.freewebs.com/roundie/orcf.jpg

Let's do this...

inexorabletruth
2012-09-27, 11:10 AM
What size category is this sea serpent? I was originally going to grapple it, but I can't grapple anything that is Huge or larger... and I'm assuming this is a big freakin' snake.

inexorabletruth
2012-09-27, 11:16 AM
Awwwwww... dang.

I just can NOT follow up on a Crit threat with this guy. That would've been almost max damage for my character. :smallsigh:

inexorabletruth
2012-10-08, 01:23 AM
Fort Save in OOC, so I can post rolls if needed IC: [roll0]

Crushed it. But... did Pete get skipped?

The Squirrel
2012-10-09, 03:41 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I hadn't posted in a while (I don't think I realized I had an action), and in that case I am more than fine with people assuming a delay action rather than having the entire combat be held up for me.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-13, 12:24 PM
I included the penalty to swim at full speed (up to 30'), in case I need to move more than 15' to stay close to the snake... particularly his face. If I don't have to move more than 15', please add 10 to my roll results.

I'm still not sure what size category this thing is. I using generic battle tactics to keep the game flow going, but would it be possible to know if I can grapple/bull rush this thing? I'd like to attempt to get these snakes away from the boat ASAP.

The Squirrel
2012-10-13, 02:37 PM
Rick 'em, rack 'em, rock 'em, rake. Stick that sword into that snake!

inexorabletruth
2012-10-14, 01:33 PM
Lol!

There are times in the game where I wish I picked a less fluffy weapon. Damn my preference for style over DPS. A sword would be nice right now.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-14, 02:01 PM
You know, GnomeGninjas, I couldn't really call myself a Brony; I've never watched a single episode. But I do love your new avatar and think it deserves an internet.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-15, 11:38 AM
Reposting Initiative, for our convenience:

Hamrin (GnomeGninjas): 11
Versvesh (inexorabletruth): 8
Pete (TheSquirrel): 5
Snake Monster and rest of crew (cgrela)

GnomeGninjas
2012-10-15, 03:08 PM
You know, GnomeGninjas, I couldn't really call myself a Brony; I've never watched a single episode. But I do love your new avatar and think it deserves an internet.

I'm not a brony either though I watched the first episode. I got Dirtytabs to make the avatar for me once I died in the MLP werewolf game.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-19, 01:21 PM
Does this mean we're out of initiative?

Space Lawyer
2012-10-19, 01:24 PM
Yes. The ship is still sinking though.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-27, 12:26 AM
Versvesh can lead a battalion, but he's a novice on a ship. He's willing to accept the leadership of anyone who's got their sea legs. Who's got the most ranks in Profession: Sailor?

GnomeGninjas
2012-10-27, 06:48 AM
I have 5 ranks in profesion sailer though I have a -2 from wisdom.

The Squirrel
2012-10-27, 12:29 PM
It's better than my 1 rank and +0 wisdom modifier :)

inexorabletruth
2012-10-27, 04:57 PM
Bleh...

Since this is an ongoing effort, can I take 20 to pump water, for a total of 25?

inexorabletruth
2012-10-28, 01:59 PM
You can do it Hamrin!

The good news is, you can't actually get a result of lower than 1... so you know... you got a 1.

Why do I suspect that this is where we're going. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR7qxtgCgY)

Space Lawyer
2012-10-28, 02:01 PM
Bleh...

Since this is an ongoing effort, can I take 20 to pump water, for a total of 25?

Yeah, the ship sinking is actually more of a plot device than anything.

The Squirrel
2012-10-29, 04:12 PM
Yay level!

GnomeGninjas, wow, two 1s in a row? What did you do to aggravate the die roller?

cgrela, while we're making our way to port, is there enough time to get a crash course in shipmaking from the carpenter for 1 rank? It's not a big deal, I could just invest an additional rank in spellcraft instead.
Also, I forgot, are we rolling for HP?

GnomeGninjas
2012-10-30, 05:43 AM
Yay level!

GnomeGninjas, wow, two 1s in a row? What did you do to aggravate the die roller?



I'm still trying to figure that out.

inexorabletruth
2012-10-30, 05:12 PM
Also, this means that Rel becomes a level 1 Dragon Shaman now, right. I'm trying to talk my wife into playing the role. She seems kind of interested, and has never played a halfling or a Dragon Shaman before.

I don't remember how we built our pirates, but remember this is our adoptive DM. We were all orphans of a previous DM. He never set the rules for Chargen.

I believe we rolled HP for our characters, based on my HP for Versvesh, who gets a d10 for HP, yet I have 24 hp at level 3.

Fixed HP Progression: DMG, pg. 198
Lvl 1: 10 +2 = 12
Lvl 2: 6+2 = 8
Lvl 3: 5+2 = 7
Total HP: 27

I'm slightly below fixed HP.

Space Lawyer
2012-10-30, 06:23 PM
@Squirrel: Yep, you can take the rank in carpentry.

@inexorabletruth: You can go with the fixed HP (that goes for everyone). Rel gets that level, and your wife is welcome to play.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-01, 11:14 AM
Well, got me a rank in Prof Sailor. :smallredface: Dragon Shamans aren't known for their many skill points, but at least now, I'm a bona fide deck hand.

I also adjusted my character sheet for average HP, granted me a solid 35 HP, and I found out I've been shorting myself an aura!

Gentlemen, I'd like to present to you:

Energy Shield:
Any creature striking you or your ally with a natural attack or a nonreach melee weapon is dealt 2 points of energy damage for each point of your aura bonus. The energy type is [electricity].

Not game-breaking... but fun. I think Pete would get a kick out of being able to electrify anyone who touches him. Now he can... if he's within thirty feet of me, anyway. Incidentally, this effect works even if your opponent doesn't deal damage on the attack. Enemies just have to make an attack roll against you with a natural weapon or a non-reach weapon. :smallbiggrin:

I was really torn between that and DR 1/Magic. But then I kept seeing images like this in my head:
http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/12039163/2/stock-illustration-12039163-cartoon-man-gets-an-electric-shock.jpg
and thought, screw it... this has to happen.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-01, 11:58 AM
I have a build question for Rel.

Is Halfling Skiprock (Arms & Equipment Guide, pg. 9) allowed and available on the ship?

It's a nifty little polished rock that allows you to pull a House of the Flying Daggers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NVpK8Vh_h8) maneuver... but not quite as epic, especially with only Lvl 1 BAB.

If it's allowed, I'll pay the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat tax for Rel to use it. If not, I'll probably take the Point Blank Shot feat. I've never played a halfling before, and I'm taking full advantage of the rock slingin' ability they have because I can't see how that wouldn't be fun to use. :smallamused:

Space Lawyer
2012-11-01, 12:27 PM
I'm ruling that if it has your race's name in it, and you are proficient in that class of weapons or armor, you are proficient in it. Thus, Rel is proficient in the halfling skiprock (a product of her misspent youth on the streets, no doubt).

The Squirrel
2012-11-01, 01:47 PM
Energy Shield:
Any creature striking you or your ally with a natural attack or a nonreach melee weapon is dealt 2 points of energy damage for each point of your aura bonus. The energy type is [electricity].

Not game-breaking... but fun. I think Pete would get a kick out of being able to electrify anyone who touches him. Now he can... if he's within thirty feet of me, anyway. Incidentally, this effect works even if your opponent doesn't deal damage on the attack. Enemies just have to make an attack roll against you with a natural weapon or a non-reach weapon. :smallbiggrin:


So... you turned us into a party of bug zappers? Should make trudging through mosquito infested marshland a lot less annoying :smallsmile:
Overall, sounds like a lot of fun!



Is Halfling Skiprock (Arms & Equipment Guide, pg. 9) allowed and available on the ship?


Believe it or not, Pete started with three of them! I thought for the price it may be handy (very situationally) to pull one out and try a combo shot, even with all the non-proficiency penalties.
If Rel has been friendly (and I've gotten the impression that she is for the most part), Pete would gladly lend/give her two of them (or Rel can do what halfling rouges typically do and steal all of them :smallwink:). Pete even has a few ranks in weaponsmithing and tools, so if we get some additional downtime and find suitable materials (bigger rocks?) I could try to craft a few more.


I'm trying to talk my wife into playing the role. She seems kind of interested, and has never played a halfling or a Dragon Shaman before.


This would be awesome, we could use another player and she seemed pretty animated in the other pirate thread.


I don't remember how we built our pirates, but remember this is our adoptive DM. We were all orphans of a previous DM.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank cgrela for picking us up; I've had a blast so far and am really looking forward to what you have in store.
Also a big kudos to inexorabletruth; when you said you were looking for an adoptive DM for characters already created, I was on board, but very skeptical that you'd find one, much less one that puts up with our inanity.

Speaking of inanity...

I'm ruling that if it has your race's name in it, and you are proficient in that class of weapons or armor, you are proficient in it.
Sweet! Does this mean Pete is proficient in using a human shield(!)?

inexorabletruth
2012-11-02, 12:14 PM
I'm ruling that if it has your race's name in it, and you are proficient in that class of weapons or armor, you are proficient in it. Thus, Rel is proficient in the halfling skiprock (a product of her misspent youth on the streets, no doubt).

I am inexorabletruth, and I approve this message.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-02, 12:26 PM
So... you turned us into a party of bug zappers? Should make trudging through mosquito infested marshland a lot less annoying :smallsmile:
Overall, sounds like a lot of fun!

Lol


Believe it or not, Pete started with three of them! I thought for the price it may be handy (very situationally) to pull one out and try a combo shot, even with all the non-proficiency penalties.
If Rel has been friendly (and I've gotten the impression that she is for the most part), Pete would gladly lend/give her two of them (or Rel can do what halfling rouges typically do and steal all of them :smallwink:). Pete even has a few ranks in weaponsmithing and tools, so if we get some additional downtime and find suitable materials (bigger rocks?) I could try to craft a few more.

Rel would love to take you up on that offer. I'd like to be realistic and fair about her starting equip, since she hasn't had any time to travel yet, and Versvesh is pretty much penniless. So Vers is going to lend some of his equip to Rel... mostly thrown alchemical stuff. Now that Vers has a breath weapon, he really doesn't need splash weapons. She's being taught honor and discipline. By lending her a skiprock or two, she'll be indebted to you until she can repay it by service or an item of equal value.


This would be awesome, we could use another player and she seemed pretty animated in the other pirate thread.

miss seems to be on the fence. We've both been very short on time, so gaming has taken a back seat. I'm rolling up Rel for now, so I don't bottleneck the plot. If she wants to take over the character later, you'll know. But yeah, I hope she does too. I'm always the DM in our clique so we almost never get to play together as PCs.


I'd like to take this opportunity to thank cgrela for picking us up; I've had a blast so far and am really looking forward to what you have in store.
Also a big kudos to inexorabletruth; when you said you were looking for an adoptive DM for characters already created, I was on board, but very skeptical that you'd find one, much less one that puts up with our inanity.

Here, here! *Raises a glass to cgrela.* This has been the most fun I've had as a PC since my first game ever.


Speaking of inanity...

Sweet! Does this mean Pete is proficient in using a human shield(!)?

I thought all wizards were proficient with human shields. Isn't that what fighters and pallys are? :smalltongue:

inexorabletruth
2012-11-02, 12:47 PM
I hope it's alright that I spoke for the crew. My character is by no means a diplomat, but with Pete below decks with the captain and Hamrin rockin' a -2 to Dip, I figure Versvesh was our best shot.

Space Lawyer
2012-11-02, 02:05 PM
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank cgrela for picking us up; I've had a blast so far and am really looking forward to what you have in store.



Here, here! *Raises a glass to cgrela.* This has been the most fun I've had as a PC since my first game ever.

Oh my. I'm rather overwhelmed. I was simply hoping to rise to a level of acceptable mediocrity. Now I feel sort of bad that I'm totally making this up as I go along.

missmvicious
2012-11-03, 04:58 PM
Hey guys! I'm inex's wife. I'm going to be taking over as his plucky sidekick, Rel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=465781). Pleasure to be joining you guys ^_^

I haven't added any armor or weapons beyond which inex said was given to me for free, because I don't know what I'm allowed to have. I didn't start getting adventuring gear until we were already out at sea, so I imagine my options are limited. Also, I'm not even sure if I have any starting gold, since my character is a homeless orphan. Just let me know what's up and I'll start equipping.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-04, 03:00 PM
I gave her some of my alchemical items, since I never seem to use them.

Also, I'm glad to use what GP I have to equip her character rather than use standard startup GP, since she was a homeless orphan before I met her, and I'm sort of her guardian now. The real question is, would the ship have any equipment for a 2'9" halfling? If not, we won't bother to equip her until we can get to a proper shop anyway. At which point, she's bound to have earned some GP from all the work she's doing as a deck hand.

The Squirrel
2012-11-05, 12:55 AM
Welcome aboard Miss!
Pete will absolutely lend two skiprocks and I'm assuming it wouldn't be too difficult to modify a simple weapon for Hal ling use if needed, though we may want to check with cgrela first.


Oh my. I'm rather overwhelmed. I was simply hoping to rise to a level of acceptable mediocrity. Now I feel sort of bad that I'm totally making this up as I go along.

Hey don't feel bad - all stories are made up at one point or another; you're doing pretty well so far!


I-truth: You're good to go with speaking for the ship - Pete may have taken the lead at times, but his wis, cha, and diplomacy are all at +0, so you should do just as well as I.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-06, 03:20 PM
@TheSquirrel:
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but my bet is on Appraise. The attempt you're making is to determine what you think is valuable, and that's what appraise does.

Taken from PHB, pg. 67:

Use this skill to tell an antique from old junk... and high-quality jewelry from cheap stuff made to look good.
Check: You can appraise common or well-known objects with a DC 12 Appraise check. Failure means that you estimate the value at 50% to 150%...

Of course, value is a cultural thing. In the film Labyrinth, Sarah bribes Hoggle with a plastic bracelet, because Hoggle has never seen plastic before. So to him... rare and priceless jewelry... to her, some piece of crap costume jewelry she picked up for a dollar at the mall. My two year old loves Labyrinth so, you know... I watch a lot of Labyrinth.

So.. I guess Knowledge (Local) and Knowledge (Nobility) might come in handy to help determine what these natives interpret as "valuable."

The Squirrel
2012-11-06, 06:56 PM
Are you suggesting we have plastic down in the hold? :smalltongue:

For my part, I always enjoy a good discussion on game mechanics. I like your suggestion of Knowledge Local, even though I wouldn't have any ranks in it. Going strictly by the book, I'd have to agree that appraise could be the appropriate check here, even though I don't have any ranks in that. For that matter, I don't have any ranks in knowledge nobility, sense motive, diplomacy, or a slew of other skills either, so I guess whatever cgrela decides is appropriate, it's likely that it'll be an unmodified check for Pete...
"Here Versvesh, give the chief this coil of rope as a sign of friendship - trust me on this."

inexorabletruth
2012-11-06, 07:22 PM
Versvesh: (+1 to Appraise) "Nice rope!"

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs15/f/2007/044/9/9/Happy_Little_Orc_Approved_by_Pumakitty.jpg

*tosses it to the chief* (+1 to Diplomacy)


LOL...

I don't think anyone built a skill monkey... or a face for that matter. Back when the game started, we had a rogue and a hexblade... more than enough CHA and INT to get us through diplomatic endeavors.

The Squirrel
2012-11-07, 09:00 PM
With two levels of ranger, I'm half a skill monkey, but most of it's in scouty stuff like tracking (which is extremely useful in the middle of the ocean let me tell you!). I also have a rank in about half the knowledge skills so at least I can make an attempt at a check.
But diplomacy? Yeah, we're screwed.
But in another light, I think it could be a good thing: it allows any of us to take the lead in social situations instead of defaulting to the same character every time. Even Hamrin wouldn't be a terrible choice once we raise his self confidence. Plus, if we roll poorly, it could lead to hilarious situations!

Diplomacy roll.
I got a 2.
Giving what you think it the proper sign of respect, you spit in the duke's face.

GnomeGninjas
2012-11-08, 06:49 AM
.
But diplomacy? Yeah, we're screwed.
But in another light, I think it could be a good thing: it allows any of us to take the lead in social situations instead of defaulting to the same character every time. Even Hamrin wouldn't be a terrible choice once we raise his self confidence. Plus, if we roll poorly, it could lead to hilarious situations!

Diplomacy roll.
I got a 2.
Giving what you think it the proper sign of respect, you spit in the duke's face.

That would be great.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-13, 06:42 PM
I hope this isn't boring for you GnomeGninjas. I'm just passing the time with some Polaroid moments while Pete haggles with the Chief.

Space Lawyer
2012-11-13, 07:37 PM
I'm hanging back until you guys finish your conversation. I'm all for heart-warming moments and character development.

GnomeGninjas
2012-11-14, 06:37 AM
I hope this isn't boring for you GnomeGninjas. I'm just passing the time with some Polaroid moments while Pete haggles with the Chief.

It's okay.

The Squirrel
2012-11-14, 10:37 AM
Hmmmm... haggling... looks like it's time to spit in the duke's face :smallwink:

inexorabletruth
2012-11-16, 12:37 PM
Watch out now... Versvesh is getting his chance to sermanize about the glory of his totem dragon. This could get long-winded.

inexorabletruth
2012-11-29, 12:42 PM
Versvesh is on infinite loop... just grabbing bodies and bringing them to the temple, until you say we're done, DM. I have no idea how many wounded sailors we've got.

The Squirrel
2012-12-04, 05:05 PM
Is it okay that I named the carpenter? Calling him carpenter seemed awkward.

Also, apologies for my absence, life got in the way momentarily :smalltongue:

Space Lawyer
2012-12-04, 06:15 PM
Versvesh is on infinite loop... just grabbing bodies and bringing them to the temple, until you say we're done, DM. I have no idea how many wounded sailors we've got.

Sorry about that, I was thinking Versvesh would want to do something else.


Is it okay that I named the carpenter? Calling him carpenter seemed awkward.

Also, apologies for my absence, life got in the way momentarily :smalltongue:

Feel free to name any NPC. I've only got names for the ones I think are important.

No need to apologize. As slowly as I update this, you don't run the risk of missing much.

The Squirrel
2012-12-05, 10:28 AM
Feel free to name any NPC.

Hey Deckhand! I dub thee The Squirrel is totally awesome and gets 18,000 experience, a Rod of Wonder, and an aerial pyrohydra pet. We'll call you Tstageterwapp!

inexorabletruth
2012-12-05, 11:52 AM
Lol.

Give a player an inch... he'll take 18,000 XP.

The Squirrel
2012-12-08, 01:56 PM
rerolling Bates' spot check (since the forum roller (not the player) totally botched the command lines): [roll0]


Also...
Pete checks for tracks: 1!
"They went into the ocean! Everyone put on their snorkel gear! Or... maybe just me since I'm the only one here that can't really do it naturally... dangit."

inexorabletruth
2012-12-09, 11:44 AM
LOL!

Don't worry, bro.

A nat 1 isn't an auto-fail in Skill Checks. You rocked a 14, which should still be enough to get us there.

We're looking for Small size category individuals, but a group of them, and we're near the ocean, and possibly a rainforest. So the chance that the ground is soft is really good.

Survival DC When Tracking (PHB, pg. 101):
Very Soft Ground: 5 (mud or snow)
Soft Ground: 10 (a little dryer than mud)

Assuming Soft Ground...
Total Modifiers: 0
Every three creatures in the group being tracked: -1 (at least)
Size Category: +1

Track DC: 10

As long as visibility is good and the children aren't actively hiding their trail, then I think you crushed it.

Unless the ground is dry. Then the DC is 15, and then all we can do is hope that the kiddos start making some serious noise.

inexorabletruth
2012-12-09, 11:51 AM
Pardon the weird spelling for "curiosity" in my last IC post. Apparently, if I add an "H" in there to accommodate for my orc accent, the forum thinks I'm trying to smuggle in a dirty word.

The Squirrel
2012-12-09, 01:23 PM
Well, there's a decent chance there might be six or more children, and if not and it is dry ground, we can always try again, we just lost some time and we might be adding in modifiers for darkness.

And for some reason I think the 'h' in curiosity added a lot to the accent, I liked it. Though the forum thinking you're trying to talk dirty is hilarious :smalltongue:

inexorabletruth
2012-12-13, 03:11 PM
Thanks amigo. :smallwink: I rarely ever work with accents. Most of my characters end up sounding like Morgan Freeman or Patrick Stewart in my head. I thought I'd put a little effort into giving my character some personality this time. Now, I've added Sean Connery to my list of possible PC voices.

LOL.

Hm...

Where's miss in all this? She keeps saying she's going to post. I'll give her a poke today and see what's up.

inexorabletruth
2012-12-13, 03:17 PM
5 and 9 on finding stuff... Hm.

I'm trying a new method to see and hear things.

I'm closing my eyes, plugging my ears and going "LALALALALALALALALALALALA" as loud as I can in the hopes that whatever I'm looking for will simply come up to me, pull my fingers out of my ears and tell me to shut the heck up.

The Squirrel
2012-12-13, 04:50 PM
Well, given your awesome nature check, you may be just too distracted by the plantlife? Reminiscent of your own island home? Or too busy saying, 'Pete don't blow your nose on that poison oak leaf it'll... too late now. And your standing knee deep in what the eastern nomads call dreamfire, NO NOT IN THE GOOD WAY! How should I know if it'd be a good ingredient for soup? I mean, NO! Do not gather the dreamfire for the purpose of serving it to the crew later, I don't care how much it's reminiscent of basil!'

missmvicious
2012-12-13, 06:37 PM
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I'm still not sure how to play Rel. I usually play skill monkeys with maxed out INT scores. I'm starting to figure her out though.

The Squirrel
2012-12-16, 01:12 PM
The spider is larger than Rel, and it does not look pleased to see her, or her companions. It drops down.

:smalleek: Stay safe Rel!

inexorabletruth
2012-12-16, 03:48 PM
Show 'em what your made of Rel! You can do it!

missmvicious
2012-12-16, 10:38 PM
Init
[roll0]
Great, the lowest possible init I can get....

inexorabletruth
2012-12-17, 02:10 AM
Biding your time, I see. Interesting tactic.

inexorabletruth
2012-12-17, 02:10 PM
Spiders versus halfling.

Don't worry guys. Rel's going to be alright. We've got precedence on our side.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YGVLM2i9n6o/S4dAzw2MJkI/AAAAAAAAE8k/1BtnwD5512Y/s400/cap-spider.jpg

GnomeGninjas
2012-12-17, 02:58 PM
Spiders versus halfling.

Don't worry guys. Rel's going to be alright. We've got precedence on our side.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YGVLM2i9n6o/S4dAzw2MJkI/AAAAAAAAE8k/1BtnwD5512Y/s400/cap-spider.jpg

What is that picture from?

missmvicious
2012-12-17, 04:28 PM
Sweet! Decent attack roll!
Damage [roll0] Fire damage then another d6 the next round unless it spends a full round attack to put itself out.
Oops and any creatures within five feet of the spider takes 1 point of fire damage, so that girl might get a little burned.

The Squirrel
2012-12-17, 04:30 PM
Go Rel go!

inexorabletruth
2012-12-17, 05:21 PM
Rankin Bass's classic interpretation of The Hobbit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit_(1977_film)).

It's actually a very charming attempt, now completely overshadowed by Peter Jackson's version, which makes the low-budget, made-for-tv animated miniseries seem a little... quaint. But I still love watching it and listening to the warbly campfire ballads sung by the narrator/bard.

For a real animated train wreck, try Rankin Bass The Return of the King (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_of_the_King_(1980_film)), featuring my favorite work-related song of all time: Where There's a Whip, There's A Way (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y). Tell me you don't shake it to that disco/funk bass line when you listen to it.

The Squirrel
2012-12-17, 06:36 PM
Wow, no rolls above a 10! Grrrr...



... featuring my favorite work-related song of all time: Where There's a Whip, There's A Way (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y). Tell me you don't shake it to that disco/funk bass line when you listen to it.

I've never heard this before but now I can't stop listening! Curse you!

inexorabletruth
2012-12-17, 07:06 PM
Replace the word "war" with "work" and sing it on your daily commute. It's cathartic... or depressing. Depending on your personality.

The Squirrel
2012-12-28, 01:43 AM
I didn't realize we had villagers with us, which is fine. Do we have a map of the area, or what map is Pete referencing?

Space Lawyer
2012-12-28, 08:44 AM
You have the priestess with you, and [roll0] villagers of assorted age, gender, and role. The map is the one that led to this island, the one that caused headaches when attempts were made to decipher it.

inexorabletruth
2012-12-28, 01:23 PM
Ok. I thought there was also an NPC tracker with us. I guess I got confused.

I meant to ask the NPC group leader, so I suppose the Priestess, what this place was, figuring if anybody's going to know, it'll be a local.

I'll go edit my post.

Space Lawyer
2012-12-28, 01:33 PM
Ok. I thought there was also an NPC tracker with us. I guess I got confused.

I meant to ask the NPC group leader, so I suppose the Priestess, what this place was, figuring if anybody's going to know, it'll be a local.

I'll go edit my post.

There can be a tracker with you, if you want. You folks made the necessary rolls, so it wasn't particularly important.

The Squirrel
2012-12-28, 02:47 PM
You have the priestess with you, and [roll0] villagers of assorted age, gender, and role. The map is the one that led to this island, the one that caused headaches when attempts were made to decipher it.

Got it! For some reason I thought this was just the nearest random port that we found so we could make repairs.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-12, 04:25 PM
Well, I set that DC... slightly above average. :smallfrown:

Let's just hope the creature's HD is low, since the save is based on that and WIS.

As orcs go, Versvesh is pretty wise. But he's still an orc. Too much negotiating will only result in the brandishing of weapons and the barking of not-too-subtle threats.

The Squirrel
2013-01-12, 04:45 PM
Aren't we at that point already? :smallsmile:

inexorabletruth
2013-01-12, 04:54 PM
In a way, when are we not at that point? We're adventurer's. :smalltongue:

I played with a guy once who's theory of gameplay was:

If it's not a shopkeeper, kill it.
If it's dead, loot it.
Never let the DM say there is no loot.


The guy skinned a raiding party of goblins once and sold its hide as leather using a bluff check. He found stats on leather as a trade good by the pound. When we looked on in horror and asked to see his character's alignment, he simply shrugged and said, "What?" like something like that would be a perfectly natural way to deal goblin corpses.

Space Lawyer
2013-01-12, 06:08 PM
I find that entirely reasonable way to go about life. I apologize for the lack of loot so far; it just didn't feel right. Rest assured though, there will be treasure aplenty soon.

The Squirrel
2013-01-12, 10:07 PM
:smallsmile:
That sounds similar to the BDF theory of roleplaying: any problem the DM throws at you, just hit it until it is not a problem anymore. Doors, orcs, kidnapped villagers, negotiations with the duke's envoy, calculating the value of a priceless antique vase...

Regarding loot - I think we're doing pretty good - there was a pretty decent haul when we captured the other ship. Loot problems are only big problems if the DM starves you for resources then continually throws encounters at you where you feel underequiped - which I haven't felt like that at all.
Still greatly enjoying myself!

inexorabletruth
2013-01-13, 12:32 AM
I wasn't fishing for loot either.

Rel's probably going to need to get equipped, since she's built almost entirely around throwing splash weapons, but Vers is an Orc of simple needs.

I never was a good looter anyway.

missmvicious
2013-01-14, 02:58 AM
How many skeletons were there?

Space Lawyer
2013-01-14, 08:05 AM
Three in total.

missmvicious
2013-01-14, 05:23 PM
Only three skeletons? I can totally handle this.
http://i.imgur.com/yiDNk.jpg

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-14, 08:48 PM
Only three skeletons? I can totally handle this.
http://i.imgur.com/yiDNk.jpg

I don't recognize that person though the stye seems familiar. Is she from Avatar?

missmvicious
2013-01-15, 07:48 AM
I don't recognize that person though the stye seems familiar. Is she from Avatar?

I am 90% certain that it is.

Space Lawyer
2013-01-15, 08:11 AM
Avatar: The Legend of Korra, to be precise. That is Korra, the Avatar after Aang.

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-15, 03:02 PM
Avatar: The Legend of Korra, to be precise. That is Korra, the Avatar after Aang.

Thank you.

missmvicious
2013-01-16, 03:49 AM
Do I get attack again now?

Space Lawyer
2013-01-16, 10:34 AM
Yep. The skeletons took their turn; they just happen to be extraordinarily slow.

missmvicious
2013-01-16, 02:41 PM
I can work with that. Also for laters can I retrieve my halfling skipstone?

Space Lawyer
2013-01-16, 02:45 PM
Sure, if you can find them. It shouldn't be too hard.

Space Lawyer
2013-01-16, 03:39 PM
Initiative? I'll attack whenever I get to go.

:smallredface:Yup, sorry. Roll initiative everyone.

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-16, 05:23 PM
Have we leveled up at all during this game? I don't appear to be leveled but I think I recall being told that we leveled up. I think I might have forgot to do.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-16, 11:56 PM
@GnomeGninjas:
You should be level 4 right now.

@DM:
Initiate initiative sequence! [roll0]
*Not using my Misc bonus because I'm not using my Senses Aura.

Also, that creature just attempted a non-reach melee attack, meaning it takes 2 points of electricity damage. :smallamused:

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-17, 06:22 AM
How are we doing hp?

Space Lawyer
2013-01-17, 07:42 AM
Rolling for HP.

I remembered the electricity on my notes, just forgot to write out the creature getting zapped.

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-17, 08:51 AM
Hit points: [roll1d8[/roll]

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-17, 08:52 AM
attempt 2 [roll0]

inexorabletruth
2013-01-20, 01:05 AM
Oh no! Rel nat 1'd. :smalleek:

You can do it, miss!

missmvicious
2013-01-20, 09:46 PM
I know that I can totally take the skeletons out.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-21, 02:50 AM
:smallconfused: Who's turn is it? Is it TheSquirrel's turn? When do the burning lava creatures go? Did I successfully Bull Rush the burning lava creatures?

The Squirrel
2013-01-21, 10:42 AM
I guess I assumed that my attack went whenever my initiative came up, so I wasn't expecting to go again until after the creature and Hamrin (and 'truth next round).

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-21, 10:46 AM
I guess I assumed that my attack went whenever my initiative came up, so I wasn't expecting to go again until after the creature and Hamrin (and 'truth next round).

I thought you had a surprise round or something.

Space Lawyer
2013-01-21, 05:10 PM
I've been on vacation. I just set the enemies to go after all of you. I'll get to IC in a few hours.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-25, 12:14 PM
BTW, if I knocked the creature away from Pete, that should give Pete an AoO against the fire monster.

Reflex: [roll0]
Fort: [roll1]

Space Lawyer
2013-01-25, 12:22 PM
The fire monster is dead, but he can have one if he wants. The one in the chasm still lives though. Those rolls both succeed, and horrible things involving fire don't happen.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-25, 12:28 PM
Oh... ok. I didn't know the one I bull rushed died. Well, that's nice then.

Space Lawyer
2013-01-25, 12:34 PM
It bursts into flame. Extra-planar creatures don't leave corpses. They go away. If anyone is interested, you're fighting magmins (MM, p.179).

inexorabletruth
2013-01-25, 12:46 PM
I was beginning to suspect they were Magmin.

I feel bad now, because of this line:

"They like to watch things burn, perhaps lacking the ability to understand that flames are painful or even deadly to other creatures."

And I feel a little stupid for Bull Rushing something that is made of lava.

My Sharkskin armor didn't just burn away, did it? :smalleek:

Space Lawyer
2013-01-25, 12:49 PM
My Sharkskin armor didn't just burn away, did it? :smalleek:

Nope. That is what the reflex save was for. It just got a little burnt.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-25, 12:59 PM
So, are we at top of the round, or is it the Magmin's turn?

Space Lawyer
2013-01-25, 01:02 PM
The group's move. The other magmin just saw its buddy get halberd'ed, bull-rushed, and speared. It isn't feeling very brave.

The Squirrel
2013-01-25, 01:06 PM
Go us, go!

inexorabletruth
2013-01-25, 01:33 PM
Tru dat, TheSquirrel. Go!

Versy wants to make like a tree and leave.
He wants to make like Michael Jackson and Beat It.
He wants to make like a bee and buzz off.
He wants to make like buckshot and scatter.
He wants to make like eggs and scramble.
He wants to make like a PC and run from a fight he is not well equipped to win.

Space Lawyer
2013-01-25, 01:36 PM
@Squirrel: The halberd's fine. I just mentioned the scorching for flavor.

The Squirrel
2013-01-25, 01:59 PM
Flavor is good, Pete's just not one for taking chances. If there's one thing he cares about, it's the halberd .

inexorabletruth
2013-01-25, 02:36 PM
And kitchen supplies. He does seem to care about kitchen supplies.

The Squirrel
2013-01-25, 02:39 PM
Yes, but that's not particular to Pete. Keeping a kitchen well stocked is just common sense. :smallwink:

inexorabletruth
2013-01-31, 12:16 AM
:smallconfused:

Pete's going to toss a 6'3" 230 lb half orc? What was your strength modifier again?

The Squirrel
2013-01-31, 04:59 AM
17.
Though if I use a scroll of enlarge person, that ups it to 19, my carrying capacity is doubled, and in a certain sense, the distance that an enlarged Pete would have to toss anything would be effectively halved (though just from his perspective - game mechanics wise, he'd still have to make the 20 ft.). All that said, I have no idea what kind of rules govern how much or how far you can toss things in D&D.


Edit: It'd be even better if I had a few scrolls or a wand of reduce person to go along with it. If Hamrin was willing to lie flat, I could even try skipping him along the shore, though if skipping a person along the water was really the goal, it may be better to enlarge Hamrin and reduce Pete, since you have the higher base strength.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-31, 06:45 AM
Except I thing the bridge goes over lava. Which, admittedly is causing a hilarious mental image of Hamrin and Versvesh being skipped over lava screaming Yoooooooowwwwwww! as our skin gets nicely sunburnt. I do not suspect that will make Pete "Mr. Popular" with the group afterwards.

The check would be a STR check, most likely, and up to the DM to set the DC for. However, if it's a cooperative thing, where I take a running head start and you help sling me out there, then it would probably be an Aid Another Jump check, which would only give me a +2 to the check. The distance is 20', so the jump DC is 20 with a running head start, which means if you Aid me, that would still mean I'd have to roll a 13 or higher to avoid the lava. :smalleek:

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-31, 06:45 AM
You could enlarge me. I could probably throw both of you, then I'd jump.

The Squirrel
2013-01-31, 01:02 PM
I agree it'd be a strength check, I'm just not sure of the DC. If enlarged, it'd be like trying to throw a 120 lb child across a 10 ft gap - it can be done, but I'm not sure it'd be that easy. Then again, Str 17 is supposed to be pretty strong - I do find it hilarious that even though Pete's supposed to be really strong for a human, he's still the weakest of us three :smallsmile:
After thinking about it for way too long, I've come to the conclusion that it would be almost trivial if one of us had a ten foot pole or even a longspear. Then again, something that long would make trekking through the jungle rather tedious.
If there's no good anchor point for a rope and the toss DC is high, maybe we can lash together two spears? anyone have a good use rope check?


You could enlarge me. I could probably throw both of you, then I'd jump.
The reason I was going to enlarge myself is that after I toss everyone across, I can cast Swift Expeditious Retreat increasing my speed to 60 ft for one round; along with the Enlarge strength bonus, my jump check would be +16, even if I fell short, I'd be close enough that someone could try and catch me.

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-31, 03:01 PM
Id to be pretty strong - I do find it hilarious that even though Pete's supposed The reason I was going to enlarge myself is that after I toss everyone across, I can cast Swift Expeditious Retreat increasing my speed to 60 ft for one round; along with the Enlarge strength bonus, my jump check would be +16, even if I fell short, I'd be close enough that someone could try and catch me.

That makes sense, that would give a much better jump than I'd have.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-31, 11:45 PM
I've got a +5 to Use Rope, which is all I felt I needed, considering most of the stuff I'd be doing is tying knots, which is a DC 10.

Still, I've got a +13 to Climb.

My character is all about Climbing and Swimming as far as skill checks are concerned. He can't do much else.

Space Lawyer
2013-02-02, 04:20 PM
So, what is the group going to do?

How hot is it here - will we continue to make fort saves if we dally?

It is very hot, but the magmins were causing the constant checks.

If I try to cast a spell, do I need a concentration check?

No

Do we still have the priestess and the other villager with us?

Yes

And Rel needs to make some rolls.

missmvicious
2013-02-02, 05:50 PM
Yeah sorry was posting from my phone.

Attack roll!
[roll0]
Damage!
[roll]1d3+1[roll]

inexorabletruth
2013-02-05, 11:28 AM
Since Pete's the only one who's found anything worth climbing on or jumping to, Versvesh is still waiting to hear from Pete.

I'm afraid the gang is at an impasse until we can figure out how to get across this chasm.

... :smallconfused: ...

Wait, I've got an idea.