PDA

View Full Version : Would an Urumi qualify for the Prehensile Whip Equipment Trait?

the Blue Morpho
2012-05-07, 06:16 PM
I'm about to play in a PF Society game and got the Urumi proficiency through the Half-Elf Ancestral Arms Alternate Racial Feature.

The Urumi is considered a Whip-sword and described as 1 to 5 flexible metal blades.

The Prehensile Whip trait's benefit reads "You can use a whip as if it were a rope with a grappling hook at the end. Attaching your whip is a standard action, but detaching it is a full-round action."

The whip I suppose banks off the reach, but even a whip sword could be assumed to be at least five feat in length-- just enough to be able to grab onto a branch for a short swing.

Thoughts?

Answerer
2012-05-07, 09:53 PM
My first thought is that I would never want to be spending my actions that way.

Flickerdart
2012-05-07, 09:55 PM
Yeah, that seems utterly useless. They were clearly going for the Indiana Jones style whip swing, but it doesn't take him 6 whole seconds to disentangle the whip from whatever he's hooked onto.

Benly
2012-05-08, 05:17 AM
An urumi is not "considered a whip-sword", it is "commonly known as a whip-sword". It would need text that actually supports it being considered a whip, such as the Scorpion Whip has.

A morning star is often known as a holy water sprinkler, but that doesn't mean it counts as a holy weapon for overcoming DR. :smallsmile: