PDA

View Full Version : This Scarf is made for Battle [PF]

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-07, 07:55 PM
So in recent weeks I've been learning and memorizing the pathfinder rules and other various bits of information so I have the same amount of familiarity I have with 3.5.

So now I'm going to want to play a ridiculous character.
Thinking of a smooth operator type who uses a weapon that doesn't seem like a weapon in combat.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/quiz/647000/647453_1310939927531_225_300.png
And pokemon seemed like a good place for inspiration.

Yeah,
The idea will be to utilize a Bladed Scarf in combat (1d6 damage, disarm, trip) in combat. There will also be a Reinforced Pocketed Scarf for carrying items, as well as tying people up.

Current plan is to be a Rogue, Sneak Attack will give some much wanted oomph to attacks. Thinking Charlatan or Rake if I do an Archetype.
Pro's and Con's
Charlatan: Fits thematically
First ability makes it easier to bluff someone you successfully lied to. Second ability is gained 7 levels earlier than average, but not really useful unless you stay in a place more than a week, make frequent trips back, or if your DM makes it spread out further.

Rake: Fits thematically.
First ability may not see much use, I don't really plan to Intimidate much, plus it lowers damage.
Bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy is nice, but not that great.

Maxing Intelligence to get both movement related skills (Acrobatics, Climb, Stealth, Sleight of Hand) and Social Skills (Bluff, Diplomacy, Linguistics, Sense Motive) and the necessity skill Perception, any other skills would just be for fun things (Escape Artist, Disguise, Swim, Appraise)

Race is as of yet undecided, but thinking of either Human or Half-Elf, lets me get the Exotic Weapon Proficiency for the Scarf without losing too much. Although leaning towards Half-Elf for Bluff and Diplomacy bonuses (as well as Favored Class goodies) Scarf gained through Ancestral Arms ART(Alternate Racial Trait)

Feats will probably go to improving the Trip abilities of the scarf.

Thoughts? opinions? suggestions?

doko239
2012-05-07, 09:44 PM
Thematically appropriate armor would be the Haramaki from Ultimate Combat. Only +1 AC, but no max dex bonus, no ACP, no arcane spell failure, and it's fluffed as an armored sash.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-07, 09:52 PM
Thematically appropriate armor would be the Haramaki from Ultimate Combat. Only +1 AC, but no max dex bonus, no ACP, no arcane spell failure, and it's fluffed as an armored sash.

I figured I'd hide some studded Leather under some clothing. Or Glamer it.

Oh and as it's a Lv 15 build,

Maryring
2012-05-07, 09:52 PM
Team up with a Wu Jen who specs in Scarf spells. Then reflavour lower level spells into being scarf spells.

doko239
2012-05-07, 10:09 PM
Somewhat OT, but awesome: what about a Transformative Bladed Scarf? Turn your Scarf into a Greatsword or Quarterstaff on command.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-07, 11:16 PM
Team up with a Wu Jen who specs in Scarf spells. Then reflavour lower level spells into being scarf spells.

No Wu Jen in PF
There's one scarf spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/silk-to-steel), and it turns a regular scarf into something dangerous or protective.

Somewhat OT, but awesome: what about a Transformative Bladed Scarf? Turn your Scarf into a Greatsword or Quarterstaff on command.

Yeah, that's cool and all I guess, but then it's "I have a scarf that can turn into a weapon" as opposed to "Who just kicked your butt with a piece of cloth? Oh wait, right, that was me, suck it trebek, suck it long, suck it hard"

grarrrg
2012-05-07, 11:24 PM
Dip a level of Oracle, take the Metal Mystery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/metal) > Steel Scarf Revelation.
3+CHA/day you can make an attack/combat maneuver up to 30ft (!!) away.
It can be 'Finessed', and does 1d8 damage.
Very thematic, and VERY unexpected range.

Edit: Double Bonus!
Take the Seeker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/archetypes/paizo---oracle-archetypes/seeker-oracle) Oracle archetype, and you'll regain Trapfinding.

doko239
2012-05-08, 01:21 AM
Have you considered Ninja instead of Rogue? Vanishing trick + Invisible Blade makes sneak attacks easy to pull off, and you can make an extra full-BAB attack by spending a Ki point.

Add in Weapon Finesse, Agile Maneuvers, Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip and Greater Trip. Starting at level 10 you'll be able to hit yourself up with Greater Invisibility as a swift action (without provoking an AOO, because it's a supernatural ability), proceed to make a full-attack against an enemy within reach (who will be denied Dex, so Sneak Attack on each hit), making a trip attack at any point during the attack (using Dex instead of Str for CMB), and making an AOO when you do. NASTY.

Dunno if this meets your concept, but I think it'd be a helluva fun build.

Ashtagon
2012-05-08, 01:42 AM
re haramaki: I've not read Ultimate Combat, but if a haramaki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haramaki_%28armour%29) is fluffed as an armoured sash, they've not done the research (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidNotDoTheResearch).

As for weapons, short lengths (about 10 feet) of raw silk were historically used as weapons in some martial art schools — no special fluff about it being reinforced needed. You could probably pick an exotic chain weapon, make it bludgeoning damage if it isn't already, and fluff accordingly.

Maryring
2012-05-08, 04:40 AM
No Wu Jen in PF
There's one scarf spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/silk-to-steel), and it turns a regular scarf into something dangerous or protective.

Yeah, that's cool and all I guess, but then it's "I have a scarf that can turn into a weapon" as opposed to "Who just kicked your butt with a piece of cloth? Oh wait, right, that was me, suck it trebek, suck it long, suck it hard"

That may be true, but PF is close enough to 3.5 that a conversion shouldn't be all that difficult.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-08, 06:17 AM
+1 to grarrrg for picking the class I was originally going to use. For the very ability he suggested. So a Dip would be a good thing. And Orisons could prove to be very useful. And with Fractional Bab rules I don't come out at a loss other than 1 level later for sneak attack and −4 skill points. Also I do not need (nor want) Trapfinding, despite being a rogue and a skill monkey.

@Maryring a conversion would be possible, but with a new DM that I'll have, well I'd rather not risk it.

@doko, did consider it, especially as it looks like it would work, however you do think similar when it comes to the feats I had planned to use.

That being said here's what the build is currently shaping up to look like at Level One (we were asked to provide it as a sort of "Base" for him to see what we added

Grimsley
Male Dhampir Charlatan Rogue 1
CN Medium
Init +3, Senses: Darkvision 60ft., Low-Light Vision; Perception +5

Defense
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 13 (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Hp 8 (1d8+0),
Fort +0, Ref +5, Will +-1 (+2 vs. Disease and Mind-Affecting Effects)
Defensive Abilities: Negative Energy Affinity, Resist Level Drain
Weaknesses: Light Sensitivity

Offence
Speed: 30ft,
Melee: Scarf +1 (1d6+1)
Special Attacks: Sneak Attack +1d6
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 1st)
3/day- Detect Undead

Statistics
Str 13, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 15
Base Attack +0, CMB +1, CMD 14
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bladed Scarf
Skills: Acrobatics +6, Climb +4, Stealth +6, Sleight of Hand +6, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +6, Linguistics +5, Sense Motive +3, Perception +5
Racial Modifiers: +2 Bluff, +2 Perception
Languages: Common, Elven, Necril
Special Qualities: Natural Born Liar
Combat Gear: Bladed Scarf, Studded Leather

Special Abilities:
Resist Level Drain (Ex):
A dhampir takes no penalties from energy draining effects, though he can still be killed if he accrues more negative levels then he has Hit Dice. After 24 hours, any negative levels a dhampir takes are removed without the need for an additional saving throw.

Light Sensitivity: Dhampires are dazzled in areas of bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Sneak Attack: Self-Explanatory by this point.

Natural Born Liar: At 1st level, when a Charlatan successfully deceives a creature with a Bluff, that creature takes a -2 penalty on the Charlatan’s Bluff checks for the next 24 hours. This ability does not stack with itself.

By level 15 I'll have a dip into Oracle (Metal Mystery) in there, I'll carouse the Prestige Classes later today see if there's not something nice for a Rogue/Oracle. Preferably something that advances both divine casting and sneak attack (Like the Divine Prankster or something along those lines.

New Question: What curse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/oracle-curses) should I take? I'll only have the first level penalty and

I think Legalistic would be the one I lose the least and gain the, well, it's no blindsight or tremorsense, but it doesn't gimp me in the way of speed or perception.

Haunted would fit for the character for reasons I can't fully say here (illed-kay is-hay other-may, no-ay is-hay ather's-fay der's-oray) in exchange for Mage Hand and Ghost Sound.

grarrrg
2012-05-08, 08:35 AM
+1 to grarrrg for picking the class I was originally going to use. For the very ability he suggested. So a Dip would be a good thing. And Orisons could prove to be very useful. And with Fractional Bab rules I don't come out at a loss other than 1 level later for sneak attack and −4 skill points. Also I do not need (nor want) Trapfinding, despite being a rogue and a skill monkey.

My point was that you lose absolutely nothing by taking Seeker/Trapfinding (as long as you take only 1 or 2 levels of Oracle that is).
Seeker: "This ability replaces all of the bonus class skills he would otherwise normally gain from his mystery."
The Class Skills from Metal are Appraise, Bluff, Disable Device, and Intimidate. All of which are on the Rogue skill list.
And given how PF Skills work, you'd lose nothing, and pick up Trapfinding for free.
So you may as well take it, even if you don't plan to use it.

If you plan on 3+ levels of Oracle, then it's your call, as Seeker loses the Revelation gained at 3rd.

And as for a "Rogue/Divine" hybrid PrC, it doesn't exist.
You'd have to choose one or the other.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-08, 09:22 AM
My point was that you lose absolutely nothing by taking Seeker/Trapfinding (as long as you take only 1 or 2 levels of Oracle that is).
Seeker: "This ability replaces all of the bonus class skills he would otherwise normally gain from his mystery."
The Class Skills from Metal are Appraise, Bluff, Disable Device, and Intimidate. All of which are on the Rogue skill list.
And given how PF Skills work, you'd lose nothing, and pick up Trapfinding for free.
So you may as well take it, even if you don't plan to use it.

If you plan on 3+ levels of Oracle, then it's your call, as Seeker loses the Revelation gained at 3rd.

And as for a "Rogue/Divine" hybrid PrC, it doesn't exist.
You'd have to choose one or the other.

I don't really lose anything from losing trapfinding though, that's covered by another group member. I might just to say I can, I guess if there's nothing to do. I plan on a 1 level dip. With charisma for the social skills the 1d8 steel scarf ability will provide a nice mid-ranged ability, as well as the ability to combat manoeuvre.

And fair enough, I'll mostly stick with Rogue then, unless there's a Sneak Attack boosting class that is close to what I want.

grarrrg
2012-05-08, 11:10 AM
I'll mostly stick with Rogue then, unless there's a Sneak Attack boosting class that is close to what I want.

Sneak Attack PrC's are looking doubtful.
The only 2 really worth a look are Halfling Opportunist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/halfling-opportunist), which requires being a Halfling, and Master Spy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/master-spy), which is non-combat-ish, it gets Sneak dice every 3 levels, that is the extent of its combat bonuses.

Rundown of all Sneak Dice PrC's, (spoilered for space)
Duelist is probably the best choice flavor-wise, but requires you use a 1-handed Light/Piercing weapon to get the most benefits.
Scarf...doesn't quite work.
Note: Some of the abilities require Light/No Armor and no shield, and don't care what weapon you use. With 4 levels you can still get Int-to-AC (max +4), +2 Initiative, "double" Mobility, and +2 Ref Saves. Still probably not worth taking though.

Likewise, Arcane Trickster, Lion Blade, and Red Mantis Assassin are out due to Reqs. that conflict with your build (Casting/Performance/non-scarf-weapon-reqs)

'Mechanically' Assassin or Pain Taster would work nicely (and get Sneak dice every 2 levels), but one is Evil, and the other has... conflicting flavor.

The two Pirates (Inner Sea & Shackles) aren't worth taking, unless you want a Nautical flavor, or are in an Aquatic/Boat campaign.

Low Templar has Full Bab, but downright pathetic Sneak dice, max of 2d6 at level _8_.

Crasical
2012-05-08, 02:39 PM
I actually thought of that girl Rose from Street Fighter when reading your introduction. Hm. I wonder.... Nope, two handed weapon, can't make a scarf magus. Damn.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-08, 04:13 PM
Well since this has ended up with me not knowing what to do.
Maybe you guys could help my friends dilemma. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13195755#post13195755)