PDA

View Full Version : Luckiest Rolls you've Ever Had

Nyes the Dark
2012-05-07, 08:52 PM
Rolling dice to determine outcomes can either be fun and effective, or irritating and prone to player-killing. What are some of your luckiest moments with a dice roll?

There have been two in our group, one by myself and one by the DM.

Early in our (4e) campaign, our Lv. 2 Fighter, Wizard, Sorcerer (me) and Cleric were trying to eradicate a group of violent goblins led by a surprisingly strong Ogre. During the ensuing battle, our Fighter was dying, our Wizard was absent, and our Cleric was KO'ed.

So, I pull my Heroic Action, which is an irregularly-obtained guarenteed success special attack. I decide, "I'm shooting an Acid Orb and hitting it with Chaos Bolt, causing the whole thing to arc onto and hopefully inflicting serious damage on the Ogre.

Nat 20, one-hit kill. The Ogre explodes, and all the other enemies must make a save against Fear to avoid running away.

Far later, our group finds a mysterious box that our only character with Thievery says is not a trap (we had more members then). The aformentioned Fighter and Wizard stay to destroy the box, while everyone else evacuates. They break the box: it explodes in a fireball. DM rolls to determine effectiveness.

Natural 1. Auto-save, 1/2 damage. It does 10d10 damage. We're Level 5. It would've annihilated any of us should it have succeeded, and it would've with a 5 or higher. Total luck when we should've died.

Morithias
2012-05-07, 09:13 PM
This was technically an NPC that did this, but I feel it's worth mentioning.

There was a bar fight in a bar now this party happened to be around level 20, one of them was an astral deva.

Commoner sneaks up behind the astral deva and rolls 3 straight 20's instantly killing him.

We never played with the instant kill rule from then on.

God that commoner was a lucky bastard.

mucco
2012-05-07, 09:57 PM
Passing eight 50% concealment rolls in a row as my poor fighter was down to single digit HP. Quite frustrating for the DM.

Averis Vol
2012-05-07, 10:31 PM
first dnd campaign ever, we had a rogue, a sorcerer, a druid, a ranger, and a fighter (me). so we were sent by a barkeep to collect a family heirloom that was stolen from him. so we enter this old temple under the waterfall place. first room, wall spikes from all angles shoot out me and the rogue get caught in the attack and take some hp damage, no biggie for me, the rogues a little messed up so the ranger uses his only heal spell on him and we keep going. next room is a friggin water trap, so naturally, we all start to drown. the druid pops up above the water just long enough to get stone to mud off and turns the door to goop and i hack the way through with my falchion. yay, were alive! right?. no this rooms has trolls chillin in it, 4 of them to be precise. and we proceed to have the fight of our newbie lives that actually takes up the rest of the session and half of the next one. so we fight valiantly and manage to down two of them. the other two are tired of taking the sorcerers crap with his burning hands so they surround him. so he's freaking out now and the only people left are me and the druid. so i turn from the troll i just downed and sent my sword flying through the air........and the dice teeters on the edge of 2 and 20 before falling to the twenty, and is then followed up by another nat 20 and a confirm. so my falchion flew twenty feet and split the troll in half from head to mid torso. the druid player looks to me and says "hold up and save your move action" so i do and he sends his cheetah sprinting towards the troll and i use my move action to hop on his back and use quick draw to draw my spear (ahh the days when no one knew how the rules worked) so the cat leaps and the DM ruled i could make an attack as part of the charge too, so cat rolls his rediculous amount of attacks and i roll the hit from my spear, another natural 20. this time i only confirmed the crit but the look on the DM's face and the loud "****!!!!!!" that came afterwards was the most amazing thing i had seen in a very long time. so the DM descibes it " the troll gets hit with a combined total of 600 lbs of flesh, fur, steel and wood and gets slammed against the wall, the cat rakes him furiously and the fighter hops off the cat after his thrust. they both walk away from a troll pinned to the wall by a spear and torn up like a skirt steak"
:smallbiggrin: that is by far the best encounter of my life.

Kane0
2012-05-07, 10:46 PM
On a smugglers ship, with an assassin on board that has killed someone we were supposed to protect.

After having a look through the ship and meeting most of the crew we happened across a woman on the top deck who looked suspicious with her special high quality knife and pet sea eagle. We approach and she wasn't interested in helping us at all, but invited us to play knifey-finger if we felt game enough. I (the fighter with 10 dex) have a go and roll a natural 20. She was *so* impressed my character got lucky later on as well as getting the help we needed to pin the assassin.

Good times.

lotusblossom13
2012-05-07, 10:46 PM
My character was a lawful neutral wizard with the goal of gaining as much power as possible to protect his country. Eventually I encounter a magical stone infused with increadible power. Being the power hungry person that my character was, he decided to tap into the stones energy, damned be the consequences. The first roll I did I rolled a nat 1, pretty bad right? Anywho my DM gives me a second chance to recover and I rolled a nat 20.

Turns out that the stone was very evil (it belonged to vecna) and had I rolled lower than 20 I would have instantly turned evil. Luckily instead I actually gained power from the stone and got the ability to teleport anywhere once per day :smallbiggrin:

navar100
2012-05-08, 12:29 AM
Two incidences.

1) 2E game, playing a cleric of Justice/Revenge. Party was captured by merrow. All our equipment was taken, including my holy symbol. As we tried to escape we were attacked. My turn. There was absolutely nothing I could do. Rather than do nothing I threw a punch just to say I did something. Rolled a Natural 20. We had critical hit house rules at the time, similar to 3E's confirmation roll. Roll to hit again. If you hit, get a DM-interpretation effect in addition to the damage based on well you roll. Rolled another Natural 20. Rolled a third time. Only got a 5, but it really didn't matter. DM ruled I knocked out the merrow in that one punch. From that moment on, I would play that character as knowing no fear. He would never be discouraged in combat no matter the situation. He knows he will be victorious.

2) 3.0 game, current group's first campaign, playing another cleric. We were on the trail of a demon, the BBEG of a long story arc. We had to imprison it in a magic crystal. We encountered the demon in a dungeon before we got the crystal. We couldn't hit it. We escaped it. Finding the crystal, we hunted the demon again. Finally we would end its devastation. It was my job to attack it with the crystal. However, knowing how hard it was to hit it before, I needed to buff up big time. I casted Bless, Divine Favor, Divine Power, Guidance, what ever spell I could think of. I drank a potion of True Strike. I was buffed up the whazoo, having plus thirty something to hit. The only thing that would screw it up was to roll a 1. Came time to make my roll, to finally put an end to the demon. All the players stood up. I shook the die in my hand and let it roll. Natural 20! We all literally screamed and jumped for joy. DM didn't even bother to give it a saving throw against the crystal.

Totally Guy
2012-05-08, 02:11 AM
Grlump the Elder rolled a good roll at our meetup game in Sheffield last winter.

He convinced the elves to go to war along side the dwarves and brought unity to the two distant nations. It was against an enemy that didn't actually do anything wrong, but it got his character out of some big trouble!

valadil
2012-05-08, 06:29 AM
I forget what the exact context was, but in a Shadowrun game my party received some sort of premonition or fortune or something that we'd face a fire elemental and I'd be the one to slay it. IIRC it was just the GM fooling around with some Tarot cards so we didn't take it too seriously.

But when the combat came along I figured why not and went after the fire elemental. I can't remember if it was my roll to hit or for damage (and I can't even remember if Shadowrun does separate rolls for that), but I had 24d6 and ALL of them rolled 4 or higher. That's something like a 1/16million roll. If only I'd been rolling D&D stats that day...

DigoDragon
2012-05-08, 07:46 AM
Shadowrun 3e game a long time ago. I was new to the game so I was just playing as an NPC for one night to try out the system. I played a scientist that was the target for the Runner team to extract from pharmaceudical corporation.
I'm no fighter, but I have some medical skills that proved helpful to the Runners.

Somewhere in the basement level garage our escape got cut off by Lone Star. I had this stupid idea to jump into one of the company cars and drive it into the barricade of officers that had the team pinned.
Keys were in the glovebox. No issue there. I started up the car, floored the gas pedal and with a simple drive check (my die pool is only 1) I ended up plowing into the barricades and officers like a bull through a china shop. Then came the tough part.

The exit ramp from this garage was at a 90-degree angle from the direction I was going. The game master, feeling quite evil, gave me a target number of 16 to not crash into the concrete wall. My pool is 1d6. :smalleek:
Um...

My first roll- 6. Open-ended rolls, so I get to roll again and add...

Now the other players are totally cheering this die on to give me a 4...

The entire party roared in laughter and even the game master had to chuckle. So I slam the brakes and zig-zag the car into a stop with maybe 3 inches to spare. Adrenaline rush.

Cainam
2012-05-08, 08:16 AM
Playing a game with 5 players, 10th through 12th level. The DM decided to send a HORDE of 500+ goblins. It turned into a heck of a fight, because we were using the critical hit tables. Fighter (me) went down, cleric went down, palidin lost his leg at the knee, but we took them. One of them got knocked out instead of killed. The palidin decides to hold a 'trial' (excuse to slit the gob's throat) and the DM asked me to yell and scream and plead so he could do some paperwork, so I played it up. "NO KILL ME! I SORRY! I RE-PENT! I BE GOOOD!!!!!" It was so silly, the party, including the palidin, agreed. We gave him a +1 short sword, and told him to be usefull. We really expected him to die the next encounter.

So we heal up and keep going, right into a VROCK. It got initiative, and gated in another one. Our goblin screams, whips his sword out, and charges in with a nat 20, and backed it up with a 95% - abdominal injuries, immediate death. The party decides to let him go at it. The 2nd vrock rolled a 1 for his first attack, and fumbled. No more attacks. The goblin screams "I GONNA MAKE YOU SQUEAL LIKE A PIG!!!!!" and rolls another 20, and a 98% on the crit hit table - throat cut, immediate death.

We decided to keep the goblin.

Bahamut Omega
2012-05-08, 01:49 PM
I don't have any particularly phenomenal stories myself, but I do have one about another player.

He and I were on the same team in a gladatorial death pit and pretty much both on the verge of getting killed with a side of death. The game was a custom system, but heavily steeped in 3.5 DnD influences. Given the enemy's defenses, neither of us could hit our opponent except on a nat 20, which is a guaranteed hit and critical threat.

His sword was disarmed long ago and somewhere else and his javelin was shattered. He had a shield and pretty much was ready to just shrug and give up. I recommended, "You only hit on 20, right? Power attack like a bastard then."

He did and rolled a 20. This meant he hit, but it's with a shield bash. This meant he connected, not that he critted. He rolled to confirm the crit and *bam* another 20. This system handles crits where they target a separate set of hit points called wound points (WP) and are much lower than normal hit points. Losing all your wound points kills you. Because he critted on a full power attack shield bash the enemy's WP went straight to 0 and he decapitated this impossible to hit enemy with one shot.

CTrees
2012-05-08, 05:41 PM
I once had a d6 land on edge. Flat table with no scratches, pretty new d6 with no major imperfections, nothing for the die to lean against. It balanced for around a minute before tipping over-I couldn't replicate the feat while TRYING to balance a d6. Was actually really freaky.

Doorhandle
2012-05-08, 07:48 PM
Naturally, as according to the whims of the RNG, that roll didn't occur midgame.:smallamused:

JonRG
2012-05-08, 11:27 PM
Let's see:

1. My ninja rolled three twenties in a row to steal the Hammer of Kharas from Verminard.

2. The group's cleric won initiative and then rolled a 19 on the die to turn a half-dragon mummy. To this day, whenever a BBEG is taken out ridiculously easily, it's said to have been "half-dragon mummied."

3. The BoED druid rolled a natural 1 on his Fort save against death from being forced out of meld into stone. On a 2, he'd have been fine.

4. Tasha's Uncontrollable Hideous Laughter has a 90% or so chance in our group to make the bad guy roll a 2.

Jay R
2012-05-08, 11:29 PM
In the first D&D tournament I ever played (1976, Tacticon II), the rule for instant kills was a natural twenty, followed by an 8 on a d8, was an instant kill.

We were rushing down the corridor, because there were five minutes left, and we hadn't found the quest object yet. The DM said, "A Balrog fills up the hall in front of you." Don, running the fighter in the lead said, "We keep running, through the two halves of the Balrog, What do we see?" and rolled a d20 and a d8 down the table. They stopped in front of the DM, he looked, and said, "Umm, right. You keep running between the two halves of the Balrog. The corridor turns left."

(My thief said, "I pick up his whip as we go by." We were one of the two highest scoring teams. The scores were so close, that the 2 copper pieces that whip was worth put us over the top and won the tourney.)

Novagraf
2012-05-09, 04:12 PM
My most UN-Lucky was a computer generated 1 on a 1d1000. DM had a thing where there were a bunch of bags of holding, you were allowed to pick one and it had 1d1000 platinum pieces in it... Guess who got screwed...

Most lucky/Epic just happened not too long ago. I'm playing in a StarWars:Saga Edition(kind of plays like 4e) campaign, (Jawa Jedi... don't judge).

The group of us(4) ran into 10+ soldiers and a captain guarding/using a forklift to load someone in carbonite into a cargo ship. My response was to use Move Object (force throw) on the forklift to take out the soldiers, rolled 20, two sith walk out and one attempts to force throw the forklift back at me, DM crit fails the roll. Next turn my character decided to show him how it's done and force threw the forklift at the sith dealing almost half damage, rolled 19. He gets up and uses force lightning on me, but I have rebuke (force power) and I rolled a 20 on that which basically I catch then throw back the force lighting almost killing him from it... (The Jawa has a translator strapped to his neck since they can't speak basic, the joke is that I sound like Stephen Hawking when I talk.) He concedes and begs for mercy... My Jawa responds "Jawas have no mercy." executing him right there. Mind you, we're level 3 in this campaign and this sith were made to be 5 or 6 forget which... Just kind of an early level fight,

Jack of Spades
2012-05-09, 11:44 PM
Not me, but my girlfriend, in a Deadlands game:

Manages to break into a hotel room, only to find a sleeping Texas Ranger-- shotgun in hand. My girlfriend being the roguish type, she robs the man blind. Managed to roll enough high consecutive sneak/filchin' that she stole EVERYTHING, including the boots the Ranger was wearing, and then get out of the well-staffed inn without being noticed. It was good for a laugh.

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-09, 11:53 PM
I can't think of a moment where I was particularly lucky, but I have a good story about badluck.

So, we had this epic campaign where each character was working for a corner of the world and a different radical alignment, and I went with Chaotic Evil, I was all alone so I got to be twice the ECL of any other player. However I never saw anyone in the entire game, I was a spy. This was pretty cool to me, however... I rolled nothing but ones the entire game. I failed to open up a door, resist any spells, and my npc teammates did more damage than I did. I spent most of any fight picking up a weapon or trying to avoid dying while rolling 1s. My character never died, but the campaign went on for a good month and I rolled nothing above a 2... the 2 failed too of course.
Tell me, how does a werewolf barbarian fail to open up a wooden door? An unlocked wooden door with nothing barring it! Just... something was going horribly wrong.

Noedig
2012-05-10, 12:50 AM
Woke up a CR 15 Mummy Lord on accident while separated from most of my group. When he sat up, he provoked an AoO from my Disrupting morningstar. He he saved. He cast Slay Living. I saved by 1. I hit him again with the morningstar, and he rolled a natural 1 and died. I was level 7 at the time.

Man on Fire
2012-05-10, 08:21 AM
New World of Darkness. My character has been shoot twice in the hand and twice in stomach. Twice I gave myself first aid but was still fighting critical wounds. I decided to use my Inteligence + Medicine to perform operation on myself. GM warned me that if I fail, I'll die. I spend willpower point to get 3 more dices. It still gave me only two dices to roll, this is how hard this test will.
Rolled. 2 and 10. Rerolled. 8.
I managed to get out the bullets, desinfect the wounds, close them, burn them and bandage them. All with one hand. During 7-seconds long combat round.

Absol197
2012-05-10, 11:41 AM
I managed to get out the bullets, desinfect the wounds, close them, burn them and bandage them. All with one hand. During 7-seconds long combat round.

Isn't a turn in NWoD 3 seconds?

Anyways, my story is also about NWoD.

In a game I was running that was meant to be an introduction to NWoD, and the Werewolf setting in particular, the characters get themselves into a situation where they had to choose a champion for ritual combat to decide a matter of honor. They obviously choose the guy who was min-maxxed for combat (he was new to NWoD, give him a break).

On his first turn, he quick-shifts to his most powerful form, all-out attacks, and spends a Willpower. His dice pool was something around 19. He rolled. Got lots of 10s. Rerolled those. Got a lot more 10s. Rerolled some more. More 10s. Final count, the guy did I think 23 damage with that roll. I was flabbergasted by how he managed that.

The bad part? Part of the rules of the ritual combat were 1) you can't kill; and 2) You can't Death rage. At their level, the maximum health of a character is 14, if they have max Stamina and are in their War form. The guy died instantaneously. And, if a werewolf deals more than 5 damage to a target, they have to save against Death Rage, which in the War Form is at a -2. The character failed his save spectacularly. His amazing roll ended up breaking both the rules, and they were disqualified. He also had to pay for killing the other pack's member.

Rodimal
2012-05-10, 01:42 PM
I once rolled eight natural twenties in the first combat encounter for a new character. I never rolled lower that a fifteen until like the fifth game session, nor even lost a hit point until then.

Another time as a party in a Shadows (mix of cyberpunk and OWOD) game we rolled a total of 120 something (can't remember the exact total) successes on an extended will roll between three characters with a difficulty of 8.

out

Man on Fire
2012-05-10, 04:50 PM
Isn't a turn in NWoD 3 seconds?

That makes it even better :smallbiggrin:

Eldonauran
2012-05-10, 07:46 PM
Call of Cthulu:

I was a german soldier climbing to the top of a zepplin at high altitudes after one of our crewmates seemed to vanish from the ship. Found the body outside on the roof and made my way over to see if he was still alive when I noticed none of his clothes was moving in the wind (there was a lot of it).

I unclipped my safety harness and started to run back to the ladder when I .... rolled a critical failure. Spun on some ice, fell on my face and scrambled to get a hand hold (this is when the DM told me that everyone who decided tounclip themselves had fallen to their death). :smallsigh:

But luck was with me! :smallamused:

Rolled a critical success. DM described my resulting success as a spin, flip, somersault into a springboard launch of desperation back onto the walkway (only level spot on the top of the zepplin). :smallamused:

Heard 'popping' sounds coming behind me and the guy covering me with a machine gun had to roll a sanity check while desperately trying to pin down whatever was after my skin. I didn't look back. I lept, tumbled, rolled and dived headfirst towards the gunner and we both managed to slide down the ladder in time to keep our body parts intact. Good thing whatever it was was not big enough to follow. (It was an invisible vampire thing that drains your magic to casts spells complelling you into a stupor so that it could feed off you).

:smallamused: I love Cthulu and I've only played it twice. Gotta love a game where the only way to win is to survive long enough to go mad. :smallwink:

zanetheinsane
2012-05-11, 01:05 AM
My players had just managed to get to the end of a minor story arc, where they were ready to face off against the chieftain of a small Orcish tribe.

They had heard stories of his strength and how he could cleave a man in half with a single blow from his greataxe. (That would be because of his Belt of One Mighty Blow and Mighty Cleaving Greataxe.)

Well they get ready for the faceoff. They had been tactically successful so far with their brute-force method of "charge in and kill everything". A Goliath barbarian, high-AC dwarf fighter, and druid + wolf do a pretty good job at the lower levels, but you can only stay lucky for so long. I figured this was going to be their hard-learned lesson about just running in and swinging for the fences.

An enlarge-personed Orc chieftain singles out the mountain-raging barbarian and his 6-7 AC for what seems like a sure hit. With power attack raging and a yell of "One Mighty Blow!" (for a +3d6) he charges in for the kill!

And rolls.... a 1 :smallfurious:

Luckiest rolls... for the players are okay, right?

Vizzerdrix
2012-05-11, 01:09 AM
when rolling stats once, every die kept coming up sixes for almost two whole strings. The run was broken with a five.

RandomNPC
2012-05-11, 01:04 PM
D20 modern, zombie style. Playing the quick hero, I've got a 50 caliber sniper rifle for 2d12 damage, I'm in the back seat of a car.

A jumping type nemesis lands on top of the car, I grab the drivers shotgun and blow a few holes in the roof. We skid to a stop and the nemesis takes partial cover in the ditch on the side of the road.

I missed my first three rounds of combat, the roof of the car, the ditch, and the first round it was trying to melee with our doctor. Then the other car gets its attention, a melee heavy strong hero steps out and goes toe to toe with it, for all of one action. At this point our doctor is playing dead, our heavy hitting actress is overwhelmed, and our stunt driver is about to get killed. My turn rolls around, I scoop up my d20 and 2d12, verify I've got precise and point blank, and joke about rolling crit to save the day, just before dropping my dice.

They land: 20, 12, 12. I confirmed fairly well, but DM made me roll damage again instead of multiplying like I wanted to.

EccentricCircle
2012-05-14, 10:27 AM
I guess these are "Improbable" rather than luck but I think they still count.

so the Dwarven Fighter and the Half Orc Cleric were both dead, the druid casts Reincarnation, noted that they would end up being a random race and we joked that it would be amusing if they came back as the same races, but the other way around. we rolled the dice and sure enough, the Fighter came back as a half orc, and the cleric as a dwarf. at which point they promptly demanded to be killed again in the hopes of coming back as someone less embarrassing. we eventually let them take ten to get back to being themselves. ten days that is...

The second event of extraordinary probability occured just before a different party crashed a hijacked illithid nautiloid into the tarrasque (Don't ask) they had needed to teleport the party back together and succeeded but it turns out that the teleport mishaps table mishaps on a natural 100 rather than the natural one we had assumed prior to checking the rules. I pointed out that since they hadn't rolled either it didn't matter that they hadn't known when they rolled. and said "it's all arbitrary anyway, it could just as easily mishap on a 79" cue astonished player showing the rest of us that he'd just rolled a 79. I said "I bet you can't do that again, 91" at which point they started laughing and held up the dice. "fine 67" I said. to which another player said, "wow, thats what I just rolled... "

we were somewhat astounded by how amazingly improbable this was, until we realised that predicting the result of a D100 roll three times was actually a million to one chance and so of course bound to happen by the laws of narrative causality.

Duke of URL
2012-05-14, 10:32 AM
Can't recall any spectacularly lucky rolls, but the opposite?

My favorite had to be in a Neverwinter Nights persistent world. I (with my low-Charisma fighter-type) was trying to console a friend over a loss, and rolled a natural 1 on my Persuasion check. With my charisma penalty, that was a -1 on the result.

Minus freaking one.

Needless to say, the guy didn't cheer up.

Arutema
2012-05-14, 04:57 PM
My lucky rolls were not so much a question of what was rolled, as when.

A fiendish sphinx knew the party was coming and was ready to coup-de-grace my gunslinger's captive mentor as soon as she saw us.

We entered the room and rolled initiative; I won initiative. I fired off a pistol shot at her; a critical thread. I confirmed the critical. Pistols have an x4 crit multiplier. The sphinx's head exploded, and my mentor was saved.

holywhippet
2012-05-14, 10:35 PM
In one D&D 4th edition game we were in a narrow dungeon corridor when a secret door opened and some undead came out behind us. My warlord used a power to switch places with one to get a flanking bonus, but they beat him up prety badly. The swordmage needed to use a strong attack to help, but it was an AoE attack that would have to try and hit an ally. He chose to hit the fighter instead since they had more HP. His roll to hit the monster succeeded, but his roll to hit the fighter was a 1 - since he missed it meant the fighter took no damage at all.

Straybow
2012-05-14, 11:43 PM
I had weird luck with dice. It came and went, but when it was "on" I did some amazing stuff. We were playing Melee at lunch in high school. I've figured the best odds at Str 11, Dex 13, leather and large shield (–2). For those unfamiliar with the simple game, it's 3d6 roll under adj Dex to hit (5 is auto, 4 is 2x, 3 is 3x), and the weapon allowed for Str does 2d6–1. My buddy tries to imitate my method, but he doesn't roll well and bites the dust. He turns to me and says, "Straybow, it doesn't work!"

I step in for the next fight. The opponents close, and on my turn I say to my buddy, "You didn't do it right. First you roll triple damage [looking straight at him, I roll a 3], then you do the max [I roll 11–1]. Shucks, missed by one."

A bit farther afield, playing a paper and cardboard wargame called Air War I was flying an FB-111. I had turned to line up the attack run and an opponent trying to maneuver into my buddy in the F-16 fighter cover lines up with me head on. Both plane dutifully trigger off a low-probability shot. He missed. My odds were worse, I needed something like a 5/36 to hit, and then doubles on the damage table to kill (max damage with the 20mm Vulcan wasn't enough). Pulled that off! We laugh about the implausibility of getting a cannon kill in the Aardvark.

After dropping the bombs I turned back in the wide sweep given by the FB-111's low turn rate. Two MiG interceptors were still in play, one fleeing with the F-16 in pursuit and the other fleeing in a perpendicular vector, which had us heading toward each other's vectors at about 90°. He decided to slow down and turn onto my tail. I did a shallow dive to bump up my speed and a lateral rudder roll cutting inside his turn to evade... and ended with the other MiG directly in my gunsights, off angle, at maximum range (six hexes). In a roll you lose visual contact with other planes, so I had to do a check to regain the target (not particularly difficult, maybe a bit better than 50% with the pilot and weapons officer spotting). Then I needed a 2/36 to hit, and doubles again to kill. And I rolled it.

Unthinkable, a double cannon kill in an FB-111. We decided they made him an honorary Ace (normally requiring 5 kills) for the most improbable act of aerial combat. From then on my gaming buddy called me "Slop shot."

BTW, Straybow is kinda D&D for "Slop shot"... ha ha

Gwarrar02
2012-05-15, 01:10 AM
A group of friends and I play Pathfinder and D&D...two different campaigns and we alternate weeks.

well in pathfinder one of our guys was a Dwarven Samurai who rode a camel (dont't ask). we get to our first encounter V. 4 lvl 1 bandits. The samurai rolls initiative for himself and his camel...rolls 2 Nat 20's....his camel goes first, runs forward and bites the first bandit...nat 20 and a confirmed crit (no instant kills) hits for 6d4 damage, basically an instant kill anyways...

Then its the Samurai's turn, he goes "i want to jump-dismount do a flip and slice my nagi-nata (spelling?) at two bandits"

DM: "lol wtf okay, roll acrobatics and to hit"
Acrobatics roll: 18
Hit roll on first bandit: 19 (crit with his weapon)
Crit roll:19
Hit roll on Second Bandit: 20
crit roll: 18

DM: "well ****...you decapitate both in one swipe"

the entire rest of the group sit's there stunned for the next 5 minutes then he goes "likos (me) your turn"

I go "umm...Magic missle"
DM: "really? after that? thats all your doing?"
Me: "dude all i have to do is wait for Death Camels next turn and the encounters over"
DM: "Death Camel?"

Since then the Camel has been one of our staunchest allies, our cleric blows 4th level healing spells to keep him alive and he's our "Tank"...even our barbarian is like "lolgocamel".

Straybow
2012-05-15, 10:56 AM
How 6d4 for bite? Doesn't a camel normally do 1d4 (+½ Str)? Odd house rules on damage and crits? Just curious... :smallsmile:

Sneaky Weasel
2012-05-15, 03:41 PM
So one time our group was fighting yuan-ti, in a long campaign arc. We were trying to rescue a village from a patrol of powerful abominations, running around and whacking the snake people while trying to save the villagers from getting killed. I was DMing at the time, and the village had a second level elven ranger who frequented it. She was trying to defend the village as well, but she needed an 18 to even hit, so she was pretty much useless.

Then her turn came around, and I rolled a critical hit with her longsword, knocking the yuan-ti down to less than half it's HP. Then...she got a critical with her shortsword and finished it off. The whole group chuckled, and we moved on.

Next turn, she attacks again, misses with her longsword, and rolls a natural twenty with her shortsword. The confirmation is...a natural twenty. Auto kill. The other yuan-ti were so intimidated by the warrior who killed one of them with a single blow that they beat a hasty retreat. She was hailed as a hero by the townsfolk, even more so than the PCs.:smallbiggrin: