PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Halfing equivalent

DeadAggressor
2012-05-08, 03:55 AM
I'm trying to find the largest sword possible that a halfing can wield one handed. I'm taking Monkey Grip and can get any other feat required in 3.5. If anyone can help I would gratefully appreciate it. So far all I have is a Bastard Sword(M) and Greatsword(S) that is if using a small version of the greatsword could be one handed with Monkey grip.

killianh
2012-05-08, 04:56 AM
Well for every size a weapon goes up you increase its designation for the purpose of use i.e. a One handed Medium Weapon is light to a large creature and two handed for a small. So for starters a halfling can use a light Large weapon two handed (gaining strength on damage to boot).

Next get a [heavy] weapon from Magic of Faerun (gold or platinum) which makes the weapon count as one size larger damage wise without the problem of it counting larger turning your Large light weapon into a Huge light weapon.

Then pick up Strongarm Bracers from Magic Item compendium to go up to Gargantuan light, Huge One handed, or Large Two handed for what you can use.

Psychic warrior would be a good class for doing this because of the power expansion which makes you a size larger, and the Half-Ogre is a good size booster for only +1 LA.

All together you would be able to use either Colossal + light weapon, a Colossal one handed weapon, or a Gargantuan Two handed. All of which you would wield as two handed with a halfling, bumping the weapons down a size category if you want one handed.

There Are some other things you could do as well that I'm missing I'm sure (I think there was something called prodigy of Strength but I can remember) but the last note on this is you can also take a minus 2 for every size past intended use you go for so depending on how much you can afford to give up with also increase your weapon size options

EDIT: One quick thing is that for some of the other stuff you might want to do if your character is going to be wielding massive weapons would be to ditch Monkey Grip. It's a bit of a wasted feat at later levels

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-05-08, 05:08 AM
Use bludgeoning weapons, and get someone to cast Greater Mighty Wallop on them every day. That makes your normal-sized small weapons deal damage as colossal weapons at caster level 20, and you don't take crippling penalties to attack with them.

Another option is the Major Titan Bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#titan), and once you hit level 12 you'll get Oversize Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/titan.htm) which allows you to wield a gargantuan two-handed warhammer without penalty. That's two-handed, but it's zero penalty and you can go with an even smaller race and it'll still be a gargantuan hammer.

tuesdayscoming
2012-05-08, 05:09 AM
If you take a major titan bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm), you get the Oversized Weapon ability of a titan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/titan.htm). RAW, it lets you use a Gargantuan war hammer with no penalty, regardless of your size. It does specify war hammers, but if your DM will let you pull off the trick it shouldn't be too hard to get him to handwave that it affects swords, too.

edit: damnable ninjas!

DefKab
2012-05-08, 06:41 AM
The best I got was using a bastard sword.
I had Strong Arms Bracers (To use a large, one handed, but I want Huge two-handed)
Increased my size (Permanent Enlarge Person) let me wield a Gargantuan.
And cast Enlarge Weapon on it. Deals damage as a Colossal, can be used as Gargantuan, and has no penalties due to shady wording. That was 6d8 damage. It was too heavy for me to carry, and I spent a LOT of money to get it, but having a 52 foot long sword for my 14 foot tall Orc made me happy...

DeadAggressor
2012-05-08, 08:48 PM
Well for every size a weapon goes up you increase its designation for the purpose of use i.e. a One handed Medium Weapon is light to a large creature and two handed for a small. So for starters a halfling can use a light Large weapon two handed (gaining strength on damage to boot).

Next get a [heavy] weapon from Magic of Faerun (gold or platinum) which makes the weapon count as one size larger damage wise without the problem of it counting larger turning your Large light weapon into a Huge light weapon.

Then pick up Strongarm Bracers from Magic Item compendium to go up to Gargantuan light, Huge One handed, or Large Two handed for what you can use.

Psychic warrior would be a good class for doing this because of the power expansion which makes you a size larger, and the Half-Ogre is a good size booster for only +1 LA.

All together you would be able to use either Colossal + light weapon, a Colossal one handed weapon, or a Gargantuan Two handed. All of which you would wield as two handed with a halfling, bumping the weapons down a size category if you want one handed.

There Are some other things you could do as well that I'm missing I'm sure (I think there was something called prodigy of Strength but I can remember) but the last note on this is you can also take a minus 2 for every size past intended use you go for so depending on how much you can afford to give up with also increase your weapon size options

EDIT: One quick thing is that for some of the other stuff you might want to do if your character is going to be wielding massive weapons would be to ditch Monkey Grip. It's a bit of a wasted feat at later levels

With all this will I still be wielding the weapon in one hand? My goal is to mesh Auron from FFX and Guts from Berserker. He'll have a gigantic sword 2x his body size and probably 2 to 3x his weight. He won't be able to do "fancy" sword styles, just produce raw power in a single direction changing direction by pulling the blade in a different direction while its still in motion.

DeadAggressor
2012-05-09, 09:19 AM
If you exclude the the Psychic Warrior and Half-Ogre things, I would be able to wield a Light Large Weapon that deal damages as a Huge variant while wielding it in one hand only. Do I still need Monkey Grip to achieve this or with Monkey grip am I able to wield a Light Huge Weapon that dealt damage as a Gargantuan Variant?

Taelas
2012-05-09, 10:01 AM
That character is not really viable. You can't wield weapons that large.

Not even with Strongarm Bracers and Monkey Grip (which don't stack, by the way).

As a small character with Strongarm Bracers, you can wield a Large light weapon with 1 hand, but you take a -2 penalty to attack.

With Monkey Grip, you can only wield a Large light weapon as a two-handed weapon, and you take a -4 penalty on attack rolls. Monkey Grip does not affect it at all.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-05-09, 05:26 PM
Although I believe that it's 3.0, try the Hornblade enchantment from Races of Faerun.

Roughly translated to 3.5e, it looks like it should let gnomes/halflings wield a Medium longsword in one hand for the low cost of a +1 bonus.

DeadAggressor
2012-05-10, 01:14 PM
Being viable is really not what I'm going for. I just want to play 3" PC that wields a sword 2 to 3x his size and causes wanton destruction where ever he goes. So if I have Strongarm Bracers and craft a Hornblade version of a Gargantuan Sword, short, broadblade (CA), that would be legal one handed yes?

Taelas
2012-05-10, 05:37 PM
Being viable is really not what I'm going for. I just want to play 3" PC that wields a sword 2 to 3x his size and causes wanton destruction where ever he goes. So if I have Strongarm Bracers and craft a Hornblade version of a Gargantuan Sword, short, broadblade (CA), that would be legal one handed yes?

By "viable", I meant "possible".

The hornblade enchantment is 3.0, and sizes worked very differently then. A longsword was simply a two-handed weapon for a halfling. In 3.5, this is not true; a Medium longsword would be inappropriately sized for a halfling and would incur a penalty. While there isn't anything preventing a GM updating the enchantment to 3.5, you would have to ask. But it still isn't enough for a Gargantuan weapon.

Using strongarm bracers, a hornblade light weapon of Gargantuan size would be a one-handed weapon for a Medium-sized character, and a two-handed weapon for a Small character.

The hornblade enchantment (if converted to 3.5) would presumably make it a light weapon of Huge size, with no penalties. That makes it a one-handed weapon for a Large character, with penalties, or a two-handed sword for a Medium character, again, with penalties. Strongarm bracers would allow a Medium character to be treated as Large for the purposes of wielding the weapon, or a Small character as Medium. You would still receive penalties for wielding an inappropriately-sized weapon.