PDA

View Full Version : Ancestrial relic fun

Azoth
2012-05-08, 08:48 AM
Hello Playgrounders, I have a fun challenge for your collective wits. I was bored and thinking over underestemated feats. Ancestrial Relic came to mind, and off I went...right into a creative brick wall. Since the relic can be any item of masterwork quality, I was thinking to make it a gem stone. No real piece of jewelry, just a stone.

Now the challenge. Making it a level by level life saving item. Since it isn't a weapon I was thinking of various AC bonuses, and spell charges per day to turn this humble gem into your own personal source of self buffing, and life saving divine intervention. At some point making it intelligent would be a bonus. So playground how would you do it, and is it feesable?

Azoth
2012-05-08, 04:10 PM
*bump* c'mon guys...nothing?

eggs
2012-05-08, 04:52 PM
It doesn't check caster level, so you could use it to make things like relics before ECL 20.

Rubik
2012-05-08, 05:32 PM
I wanted to do this on my psicrystal and posted a thread for ideas, but it has yet to get any feedback at all.

Vizzerdrix
2012-05-09, 02:30 AM
Psi crystal, I don't think is doable.

Anyways, If you can set up the spells needed to preform the ritual on site, then couldn't you sacrifice magical traps/ Evil McGuffins/ BBEGs base with this?

Or how about fine works of stone? Say the BBEG after he's been stone to fleshed?

Azoth
2012-05-09, 05:03 AM
There is a limit based on your level of how much value the item can be worth, and it takes a full day per 1000gp you are enhancing it by. So no sacrificing on the spot unfortunately.

Vizzerdrix
2012-05-09, 05:20 AM
Blast! Well then the best use is in a low wealth game, or when you need a specific enchantment, I guess. Or you could try something silly. Maybe Enchanted Shapesand? Awakened enchanted Shapesand?

Azoth
2012-05-09, 06:46 AM
I kind of had the idea to use it as a magic item compactor. Use it to absorb either useful items I don't have a slot for, or to enhance with charges per day of spells that will save my life. At high levels maybe even get it to be able to cast True Reserection on my character so one death in a while is completely negated.

Feralventas
2012-05-09, 11:39 AM
Well, the MWK item can be enchanted up to it's value limit, so you're pretty much looking at the entire list of Wondrous items in terms of options available. Any list of useful or nifty examples off that list should be available as long as they're within your price range.

So.

Quall's Feather Token abilities? Stop ships, send messages, plant trees and grab a free Dancing +1 Whip.

Use the time to make it into a +1 Manual or Tome, use it, and the value of the item drops letting you use it again provided you've the down-time and money to spend on it.

Need a quick bonus of another sort? Make it an Ioun stone.

The only limit I can see on it is your knowledge of the DMG and MIC.

Rubik
2012-05-09, 07:46 PM
Psi crystal, I don't think is doable.It is if you take a valuable gem, enhance it with magic, and then take the Psicrystal Affinity feat to deposit part of your soul in it (or prep it before you "get a new one" after your old one dies).