PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Build Assistance & Advice Request

Whisperer
2012-05-08, 11:53 AM
Greetings!

I haven't touched a D&D sourcebook since the 90s and I've recently been offered a seat at a table, so I'm jumping at it. I've spent a couple weeks pouring steadily over the 3.5 materials, which our campaign will be using. Our DM is fairly open-minded regarding source material (though wants to keep it to 3.5 if possible), which is great for my first dip back in the pool. We're starting at 4th level, with a 32pb and gold-by-level (5.4k).

While I usually gravitate to dwarves, the Whisper Gnome race really jumped at me when I came across. It fits the size I enjoy playing and puts a spin on the usually happy-go-lucky gnomes that I really like (normally I'd punt them at best). What I wanted to go for was a tribal hunter/stalker role... part sneak, part ranger, with some quirks and a focus on killing the Big Folk. I'd like to ideally add the Trophy Hunter feat for flavor (and a bit of coin), and I'm still considering how to handle the companion aspect but I'd like that to be a part of the concept (preferably as mount as well).

So far the build I've come up with is Wilderness Rogue 1 / Ranger 4 / Whisperblade 9 / Gnome Giant-Killer 4 / Leviathon Hunter 2. I'll probably take the Gnome Ranger substitution level at 4th, but have read differing opinions on the 1st level.

Before you ask, I've gotten permission from our DM to adjust Whisperblade for my gnome, which so far includes removing the halfling requirement and adding some gnome exotic profs to counteract the ranged attack bonus inherent to halflings that the class assumes. I'm also considering using it as a base to build a new prestige class on for my character, revolving around the use of a braid blade.

Now.. What I'd like is your experienced feedback on how optimized such a build would be, your suggestions for alternative choices (based on the concept I've stated), thoughts on abilities/skills/feats, and any and all comments you'd like to offer.

Thoughts?

AtLastForgot
2012-05-08, 12:07 PM
As for an alternative, check out this post I just made about the Swift Hunter.

I've always been a fan of the Scout/Ranger build with Swift Hunter.

Scout1 -> Cleric 1 -> Scout 3 -> Ranger15 is my favored progression.

Using the Cloistered Cleric variant, you can gain both Knowledge Devotion and Travel Devotion easily. This, coupled with the "Monster Lore" Knowledge, gives you bonuses to hit and damage to make up for the lost points of BAB. You have 6+Int skill points at every level and, if you take some Urban variants, can operate very well in the city.

Travel Devotion lets you move as a swift action and make full attacks every round for a minute at a time and uses are replenished by burning Turn attempts. This gives you full Skirmish damage on multiple arrows and can really put out the hurt.

A detailed guidebook on the build can be found here. (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/09/swift-hunters-handbook.html)

Admittedly this build works better as an Archer due to the short range of thrown attacks. I personally prefer using it with a Light Crossbow and Crossbow Sniper. It also does not really work with a mount unless your DM allows mount movement to count for skirmish damage, in which case you can drop the Cleric level. It works well for small characters thanks to the fact that damage is not really dependent on weapon size or strength.

Cieyrin
2012-05-08, 12:08 PM
I'd actually suggest Blade Bravo over Gnome Giant Slayer, as it handles killing the Big Folk somewhat better, especially since it's based exclusively on size as opposed to killing just Giants.

Whisperer
2012-05-08, 05:18 PM
Appreciate the feedback so far!

As for an alternative, check out this post I just made about the Swift Hunter.

Swift Hunter seems like a very powerful build from what I've read so far and definitely seems popular. I could probably work some scout in for it, but it definitely departs a bit from the core concept of a focus on slaying big things. Much as I love Ranger, I'd like to move into other prestige classes for flavor if nothing else. It's something I'd like to try down the road though, definitely.

I'd actually suggest Blade Bravo over Gnome Giant Slayer, as it handles killing the Big Folk somewhat better, especially since it's based exclusively on size as opposed to killing just Giants.

It was equally attractive and you might very well be right. I'll take another look.. I was comparing it with Whisperblade and saw that there was overlap so I had to drop Giant Slayer after 4th. Any ideal stopping points for Blade Bravo, with the build as I've shared it?

Cieyrin
2012-05-08, 07:00 PM
A good skip out point is at 5th, when Size Advantage kicks in.