PDA

View Full Version : Unarmored Melee Character

Andezzar
2012-05-08, 12:22 PM
I'm trying to build an unarmored melee character, possibly wielding a two-handed weapon. Swordsage seem to be the obvious choice. What other options are there? All books are allowed, but Dragon Magazine isn't for lack of access.

Gharkash
2012-05-08, 12:33 PM
The Swordsage states that you get your Wis to AC only when in light armor, which is bad wording. Check that with your DM if you play one. I vote for swordsage, as i currently play one and they are rather fun to play, but i am not quite sure if you can go all-naked. I believe Warblade would be fine too. Not a clue for other classes (monk does not count).

Gharkash
2012-05-08, 12:35 PM
The Swordsage states that you get your Wis to AC only when in light armor, which is bad wording. Check that with your DM if you play one. I vote for swordsage, as i currently play one and they are rather fun to play, but i am not quite sure if you can go all-naked. I believe Warblade would be fine too. Not a clue for other classes (monk does not count).

Roguenewb
2012-05-08, 12:37 PM
1 level dip in simple druid variant. You get lvl 1 druid casting, yay! Fast movement, favored enemy, swift tracker, track feat and an animal companion! Makes the first level of Monk pretty bad huh?

Roguenewb
2012-05-08, 12:39 PM
1 level dip in simple druid variant. You get lvl 1 druid casting, yay! Fast movement, favored enemy, swift tracker, track feat and an animal companion! Makes the first level of Monk pretty bad huh?

Roguenewb
2012-05-08, 12:50 PM

Andezzar
2012-05-08, 01:52 PM
The Swordsage states that you get your Wis to AC only when in light armor, which is bad wording. Check that with your DM if you play one. I vote for swordsage, as i currently play one and they are rather fun to play, but i am not quite sure if you can go all-naked. I believe Warblade would be fine too. Not a clue for other classes (monk does not count).Hmm, why would I run around naked when I can wear mithral full plate as a warblade and do not get anything else to increase my AC? In that case I'd probably cheat and just giver the armor the glamered property.

Yeah Yeah, everything is better with druids. What's the simple variant of the druid?

Larkas
2012-05-08, 02:46 PM
Simple Druid Variant. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid)

Feralventas
2012-05-08, 03:11 PM
If you're allowed unarmored Swordsage for Wisdom to AC at level 2, then....

Two levels in Swordsage, Wisdom to AC.
OR
One level in the UA variant Druid, Wisdom to AC.

One level in Battle Dancer, Charisma to AC.

One level in Monk with the Kung-Fu Genius feat, Intelligence to AC.

One level in Anything, Dexterity to AC.

One level in Fist of the Forrest, Constitution to AC.

One level in any 'casting class, such as Sorcerer, Wizard, Psion or Wilder, +4 to AC via either Mage Armor or Force...w/e the Psionic version is. If you take a second level in Wilder or just pick it up as another 1st level spell, you'd also have +4 from Shield or Force Shield.

So even if you have straight 14's for your whole stat set (36 point buy IIRC) then you're getting +18AC with +2 from 5 stats and +4 from two spells/powers.

And all before magic items for Natural Armor or Deflection bonuses.

If you feel like eating a HUGE level adjustment, take off the racial fey HD from a Nymph, have a solid bonus to your Cha, Wis, Int, Dex, and Con, and you'll get your Charisma bonus to your Saves as well as a deflection mod to your AC, and that stacks with the AC bonus from Battle Dancer.

Also, if all you want is AC, and you plan on focusing on a 'casting or at least a maneuver-based martial class, then Vow of Poverty gives you some AC bonuses that will stack, as well as the enhancements to ability scores. Vow of Non-violence also improves the deflection and natural armor and normal Armor bonus from VoP by +2, and would mitigate the need for the 'caster dip, though I'd adivse going mostly 'caster if you plan to take this rout to make up for the lost utilities of ALL YOUR MONEY.

Randomguy
2012-05-08, 03:23 PM
If you're playing a nature-ish character like a druid, ranger or barbarian then you can take a level of the "Fist of the forest" PrC to add your Con to AC when unarmoured.

Check the x stat y bonus thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) for more ideas, under AC bonuses in the second post.

Some of the better options: You can get half your con to natural armour with a few feats (improved bind vestige) and cha to AC with 2 levels of paladin and an ACF, or wis instead of cha with that ACF and the serenity feat.

Essence_of_War
2012-05-08, 04:05 PM
Also in the X stat Y bonus is a build called "Sir Wisdom the SAD".

That might give you a few ideas :smallsmile:

Asgardian
2012-05-08, 04:14 PM
If you can get your DM to let you use the Defense Bonus Rules Variant.. you can use whatever class you want
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm