PDA

View Full Version : Veit the Destroyer [PF]

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-08, 04:11 PM
So in relation to an earlier post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13193795#post13193795)of mine. My friends and I are taking part in a campaign. The above is my character. However my friends needs help.

This is Veit, a Drow Noble Barbarian, yeah, he's interesting.

Veit
Male Drow Noble, Barbarian 5
CN Medium
Init +3, Senses: Darkvision 120ft; Perception +12 (+11)

Defense
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-Footed 10 (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Hp 36 (5d12+0),
Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +3, +2 vs. Enchantment
Immune: Sleep; SR 16
Weaknesses: Light Blindness

Offence
Speed: 20ft (40ft without the Chains) [DM Fiat]
Melee Dwarven Dorn-Dergar +6/+6 (+5/+5) (1d10+4 and 1d10+2) (Reach)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 5th)
Constant: Detect Magic
At Will: Dancing Lights, Deeper Darkness, Faerie Fire, Feather Fall, Levitate
1/Day: Divine Favor, Dispel Magic, Suggestion
Special Attacks: Rage (14 Rounds per Day), Rage Power (Swift Foot +5ft)

Statistics (20 Point Buy)
Str 17, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14 (20 Point Buy)
Base Attack +5, CMB +8, CMD 21
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Dorn-Dergar, Two-Weapon Fighting, Darting Viper, Dorn-Dergar Master.
Skills: Perception +12 (+11), Survival +10, Climb +10, Acrobatics +10, Craft +10, Intimidate +10
Racial Modifiers: +2 Perception
Languages: Elven, Undercommon, Drow-Sign, Dwarven
Special Qualities: Poison Use
Combat Gear: Dorn-Dergar x2 (Responsibility and Humility), Studded Leather Armor

Special Abilities:
Rage: +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, +2 Will, -2 Ac, Fatigue After
(Fast Format: +2 to Attack, Damage, CMD+CMD, 2 extra hit points per die)
May not use Craft while Raging (Specific to Character)

Rage Powers:
• Lv 2 Swift Foot (+5 Base Speed while Raging)
• Lv 4 Traded for Bonus Feat

Poison Use: Drows are skilled in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves.

Weaknesses:
Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds Drow for 1 round; on subsequent rounds they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area. (Dazzled: -1 penalty on attack rolls and perception checks)

Now, he has asked me to improve this character further. However I am doing a summer semester to get ahead for next year, and overloaded it, so I don't have as much time (or patience to deal with him) as I would like, and I just kind of don't want to. So people of the playground, wanna play with this toy?

What it needs:
10 More Levels
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword
Oversized Two Weapon Fighting (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/oversized-two-weapon-fighting--2109/)

He wants to have poisoned bastard swords to use when he removes the dergars. Other than that, he really doesn't seem to care.

grarrrg
2012-05-08, 04:31 PM
Drow Noble Barbarian
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Dorn-Dergar, Two-Weapon Fighting, Darting Viper, Dorn-Dergar Master.
10 More Levels
Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword
Oversized Two Weapon Fighting

He wants to have poisoned bastard swords to use when he removes the dergars. Other than that, he really doesn't seem to care.

Allow me to be the first to say "lolwut".

I'm...I'm going to need a little bit here...
I'll be back with something later...

Maybe...

doko239
2012-05-08, 07:24 PM
Why would he spend TWO feats on Exotic Weapon Proficiency? Why not just spend the one on whatever he ultimately wants to use, and save the precious precious feats for other, better things?

sigh...

In any event, you may want to point him in the direction of the Titan Mauler barbarian archetype, since he seems hellbent on dual-wielding oversized weapons anyway. It's broken by RAW, but a reasonable RAI interpretation should let him dual-wield greatswords or Large 1h-weapons. See if that gets his attention :smallbiggrin:

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-08, 10:39 PM
Why would he spend TWO feats on Exotic Weapon Proficiency? Why not just spend the one on whatever he ultimately wants to use, and save the precious precious feats for other, better things?

sigh...

In any event, you may want to point him in the direction of the Titan Mauler barbarian archetype, since he seems hellbent on dual-wielding oversized weapons anyway. It's broken by RAW, but a reasonable RAI interpretation should let him dual-wield greatswords or Large 1h-weapons. See if that gets his attention :smallbiggrin:

His Logic is Such
A Drow using a weapon not known for drow but still dangerous is scary (They're Flaming Burst, I believe)
A Drow moving faster than he was before using Poisoned (Possible Also one of the other elements, my vote is he goes Lightning) Is scarier.

Hmm, so he trades out his fast movement (Not that that really, truly matter DM is using Elf Favourite Class bonuses for the Drow so it gets a bonus speed anyways), to become the Hulk, I'll remind him to put sizing on his weapons. I think you may have just won him the game. Have a Gamma Radiated Cookie.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-08, 11:38 PM
Veit, the Destroyer
Veit
Male Drow Noble, Titan Mauler Barbarian 15
NG Medium
Init +3, Senses: Darkvision 120ft; Perception +15 (+14)

Defense
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-Footed 14 (+4 Armor, +4 Dex)
Hp (15d12+15),
Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +7, +2 vs. Enchantment
Defensive Abilities: Evade Reach, Spirit Shield
Immune: Sleep; SR 26

Offence
Speed: 25ft (45ft without the Chains)

Melee: Unarmed Strike +17/+12/+7 (+16/+11/+6) (1d10+4),
or Unarmed Strike + Unarmed Strike
+15/+15 (1d10+4 and 1d10+2) (First Attack, the rest follows as normal)

Melee: Large Dorn Dergar +17/+12/+7 (+16/+11/+6) (2d8+4),
or Large Dwarven Dorn Dergar + Large Dwarven Dorn Dergar
+15/+15 (2d8+4 and 2d8+2) (First Attack, the rest follows as normal)

Melee: Large Bastard Sword +17/+12/+7 (+16/+11/+6) (2d8+4),
or Large Bastard Sword + Large Bastard Sword

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 15st)
Special Attacks: Rage (32 Rounds per Day), Spirit Slam (+17, 1d6+2 Negative), Spirit Aura (1d8 Negative to Adjacent), Ground Breaker (Damage vs. Hardness, 15ft Difficult Terrain, Reflex DC 15 or Prone)

Statistics
Str 18, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14
Base Attack +15, CMB +19, CMD 33
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Dwarven Dorn Dergar, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword, Darting Viper, Dorn Dergar Master, Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike
Skills: Perception +19 (+18), Survival +17, Climb +18, Acrobatics +18, Craft +17, Intimidate +17
Combat Gear: Dorn-Dergar x2 (Responsibility and Humility), Bastard Sword x2 (Casualty and Cruelty), Hide Shirt (+4/+4/-3),

Special Abilities:
Big Game Hunter: Gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC in melee with creatures larger than themselves.

Greater Rage: +6 Strength, +6 Constitution, +3 Will, -2 Ac, Fatigue After
(Fast Format: +3 to Attack, Damage, CMD/CMD, 3 extra hp per die {45})

Jotungrip: May use a two-handed melee in one hand with a -2 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. It is treated as one-handed when determining the effect of Power Attack, Strength bonus to damage and the like.

Massive Weapons: The Attack roll penalty for using weapons too large for her size is reduced by 1, and this reduction increases by 1 for every three levels beyond 3rd (to a minimum of 0, -5)

Evade Reach: As a swift action, a titan mauler may choose one creature within her line of sight. Until the end of her turn, that target’s reach is treated as if it were 5 feet shorter with respect to reaching the titan mauler, and this reduction increases by 5 feet for every five levels beyond 5th (-15ft reach)

Titanic Rage: A Titan Mauler may choose to gain the benefits of enlarge person when they enter a rage. While using a titanic rage they must spend two rounds of rage per round, and they become exhausted rather than fatigued when the rage ends.

Rage Powers: All abilities active while Raging
• Lv 2: Spirit Totem, Lesser: Spirit Guardian, make one slam attack each round against a living foe that is adjacent tot the barbarian. This slam attack uses the barbarians full base attack bonus, plus the barbarian charisma modifier. The slam deals 1d4 points of negative energy damage, plus the barbarian’s charisma modifier.
• Lv 4: Swift Foot (+5 Base Speed while Raging)
• Lv 6: Spirit Totem: 20% Miss chance vs. ranged and melee attacks not adjacent to the barbarian (i.e. reach attacks)
• Lv 8: Ground Breaker (Auto hit attack on ground, damage as normal, if the barbarian manages to deal more damage than the floors hardness, the space she occupies and of the adjacent squares become difficult terrain. Creatures in these squares (except the barbarian) must make a reflex 15 save or be knocked prone.
• Lv 10: Spirit Totem, Greater: Living enemies that are adjacent to the barbarian at the start of their turn take 1d8 points of negative energy damage. In addition the spirits can now attack foes up to 15ft away and the slam attack deals 1d6+2 points of negative energy damage.
• Lv 12: Ground Breaker, Greater: +5 ft (All within 10ft of Barbarian)
• Lv 14: Ground Breaker, Greater: +5 ft (All within 15ft of Barbarian)

Damage Reduction: 3/-

Poison Use: Drow are skilled in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves.

Weaknesses:
Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds Drow for 1 round; on subsequent rounds they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area. (Dazzled: -1 penalty on attack rolls and perception checks)

I'm a little afraid, but at least he's on our side. The Massive Weapons ability negates the Large Weapon Penalty, combined with Jotungrip allswell. He liked the idea of being able to fight unarmed if all of his weapons are taken (Rage to Large and the damage is the same) Although my characters new role may be leash handler for this guy.

doko239
2012-05-09, 12:42 AM
His Logic is Such
A Drow using a weapon not known for drow but still dangerous is scary (They're Flaming Burst, I believe)
A Drow moving faster than he was before using Poisoned (Possible Also one of the other elements, my vote is he goes Lightning) Is scarier.

Hmm, so he trades out his fast movement (Not that that really, truly matter DM is using Elf Favourite Class bonuses for the Drow so it gets a bonus speed anyways), to become the Hulk, I'll remind him to put sizing on his weapons. I think you may have just won him the game. Have a Gamma Radiated Cookie.

YAY, I like cookies!

OM NOM NOM NOM

uh oh...

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/small/1012/the-hulk-hulk-cookies-demotivational-posters-1293354204.jpg

doko239
2012-05-09, 12:54 AM
Veit, the Destroyer
Veit
NG Medium

Defense
Hp (15d12+15),

Offence

Special Attacks: Rage (32 Rounds per Day), Spirit Slam (+17, 1d6+2 Negative), Spirit Aura (1d8 Negative to Adjacent), Ground Breaker (Damage vs. Hardness, 15ft Difficult Terrain, Reflex DC 15 or Prone)

Statistics
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Dwarven Dorn Dergar, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword, Darting Viper, Dorn Dergar Master, Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike
Skills: Perception +19 (+18), Survival +17, Climb +18, Acrobatics +18, Craft +17, Intimidate +17
Combat Gear: Dorn-Dergar x2 (Responsibility and Humility), Bastard Sword x2 (Casualty and Cruelty), Hide Shirt (+4/+4/-3),

Special Abilities:
Big Game Hunter: Gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC in melee with creatures larger than themselves.

Jotungrip: May use a two-handed melee in one hand with a -2 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. It is treated as one-handed when determining the effect of Power Attack, Strength bonus to damage and the like.

Massive Weapons: The Attack roll penalty for using weapons too large for her size is reduced by 1, and this reduction increases by 1 for every three levels beyond 3rd (to a minimum of 0, -5)

Evade Reach: As a swift action, a titan mauler may choose one creature within her line of sight. Until the end of her turn, that target’s reach is treated as if it were 5 feet shorter with respect to reaching the titan mauler, and this reduction increases by 5 feet for every five levels beyond 5th (-15ft reach)

Titanic Rage: A Titan Mauler may choose to gain the benefits of enlarge person when they enter a rage. While using a titanic rage they must spend two rounds of rage per round, and they become exhausted rather than fatigued when the rage ends.

• Lv 2: Spirit Totem, Lesser: Spirit Guardian, make one slam attack each round against a living foe that is adjacent tot the barbarian. This slam attack uses the barbarians full base attack bonus, plus the barbarian charisma modifier. The slam deals 1d4 points of negative energy damage, plus the barbarian’s charisma modifier.
• Lv 6: Spirit Totem: 20% Miss chance vs. ranged and melee attacks not adjacent to the barbarian (i.e. reach attacks)
• Lv 8: Ground Breaker (Auto hit attack on ground, damage as normal, if the barbarian manages to deal more damage than the floors hardness, the space she occupies and of the adjacent squares become difficult terrain. Creatures in these squares (except the barbarian) must make a reflex 15 save or be knocked prone.
• Lv 10: Spirit Totem, Greater: Living enemies that are adjacent to the barbarian at the start of their turn take 1d8 points of negative energy damage. In addition the spirits can now attack foes up to 15ft away and the slam attack deals 1d6+2 points of negative energy damage.

Poison Use: Drow are skilled in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves.

Weaknesses:

I'm a little afraid, but at least he's on our side. The Massive Weapons ability negates the Large Weapon Penalty, combined with Jotungrip allswell. He liked the idea of being able to fight unarmed if all of his weapons are taken (Rage to Large and the damage is the same) Although my characters new role may be leash handler for this guy.

Jotungrip explicitly states it won't work on a weapon not sized for you; you'll have to talk your DM into interpreting Massive Weapons as reducing handedness as well as attack penalties, or it doesn't work at all.

This is what I meant when I said it was broken; by strict RAW, the best you can do is 2h a Large Bastard Sword, or dual-wield Medium Greatswords. And since that Oversized Dual-Wield feat doesn't exist in PF itself, the archetype just feels pointless.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-09, 05:24 AM
Jotungrip explicitly states it won't work on a weapon not sized for you; you'll have to talk your DM into interpreting Massive Weapons as reducing handedness as well as attack penalties, or it doesn't work at all.

This is what I meant when I said it was broken; by strict RAW, the best you can do is 2h a Large Bastard Sword, or dual-wield Medium Greatswords. And since that Oversized Dual-Wield feat doesn't exist in PF itself, the archetype just feels pointless.

Both Bastard Sword (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/sword-bastard) and the Dorn Dergar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dorn-dergar-master-combat) are treated as one handed weapons.
DM allowed the feat. And in my regular group it's been a staple as well for pathfinder, we view that archetype as awesome.

doko239
2012-05-09, 02:12 PM
Both Bastard Sword (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/sword-bastard) and the Dorn Dergar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dorn-dergar-master-combat) are treated as one handed weapons.
DM allowed the feat. And in my regular group it's been a staple as well for pathfinder, we view that archetype as awesome.

Yes, but they're LARGE 1h weapons. Jotungrip specifically states that it only works with weapons sized for you, which a large weapon is not, regardless of its handedness to an appropriately-sized creature.

Larpus
2012-05-09, 03:07 PM
Veit, the Destroyer
Veit
NG Medium

Defense
Hp (15d12+15),

Offence

Statistics

Special Abilities:

Weaknesses:

I couldn't find what ever the Superior Unarmed Strike feat does.

Regardless, if he wants to be dangerous unarmed, I'd suggest instead grabbing Extra Rage Power > Lesser Beast Totem, rage up and sudden shortswords on your hands. Even useful for getting out of traps or the such.

Only way I'd favor Unarmed Strike over that is if I were planning to get Grab or something.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-09, 08:09 PM
I couldn't find what ever the Superior Unarmed Strike feat does.

Regardless, if he wants to be dangerous unarmed, I'd suggest instead grabbing Extra Rage Power > Lesser Beast Totem, rage up and sudden shortswords on your hands. Even useful for getting out of traps or the such.

Only way I'd favor Unarmed Strike over that is if I were planning to get Grab or something.

Superior Unarmed Strike (http://dndtools.eu/feats/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/superior-unarmed-strike--2844/)

It's the only other one the DM had to approve, besides Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/oversized-two-weapon-fighting--2109/)

Larpus
2012-05-10, 10:12 AM
Superior Unarmed Strike (http://dndtools.eu/feats/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/superior-unarmed-strike--2844/)

It's the only other one the DM had to approve, besides Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/oversized-two-weapon-fighting--2109/)
Thatexplainseverything.

That is a nice feat to be quite deadly.

I still prefer Lesset Beast Totem, mainly because I like having Pounce (Greater Beast Totem) and due to my DM style, having slashing weapons on your hands is better than punching.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-11, 09:49 AM
Thatexplainseverything.

That is a nice feat to be quite deadly.

I still prefer Lesset Beast Totem, mainly because I like having Pounce (Greater Beast Totem) and due to my DM style, having slashing weapons on your hands is better than punching.

I've always been a fan of bludgeoning people personally.

Larpus
2012-05-11, 01:31 PM
I've always been a fan of bludgeoning people personally.
Heh, nothing wrong with that, I love myself some crushing as well. Whenever using a weapon, I always prefer hammers, maces and the such.

Still, our DM is very found of ropes...ropes to tye us, rope-based traps and the such and so on, not to mention I often get swallowed whole by some bigger monsters, so the sashy claws sure come in as handy.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-05-15, 12:11 PM
Heh, nothing wrong with that, I love myself some crushing as well. Whenever using a weapon, I always prefer hammers, maces and the such.

Still, our DM is very found of ropes...ropes to tye us, rope-based traps and the such and so on, not to mention I often get swallowed whole by some bigger monsters, so the sashy claws sure come in as handy.

Ah, yeah, I enjoy it to the point (to reference your name) the one time I did partake in LARP despite being a mage most of my "kills" were from bludgeoning them with my quarterstaff. To the point that I was not allowed back. But when you take a nerd like me, (Rugby, Football, Various Martial Arts to varying levels of proficiency) I play a little bit rougher than most.