PDA

View Full Version : Methods for Removing Saves

DeathOfAMailman
2012-05-08, 04:35 PM
Besides the Spellwarp Sniper's ability to remove Reflex saves from area spells in exchange for turning them into a ray, what are some ways to remove the save from a spell? Or perhaps changing the type of save required in order to allow Spellwarp Sniper to remove it?

eggs
2012-05-08, 05:42 PM
There's the broken-as-hell Irresistible Spell metamagic from Dragonlance.
+4 to downright skip the save and get on to the effects.

kardar233
2012-05-08, 06:05 PM
There's the broken-as-hell Irresistible Spell metamagic from Dragonlance.
+4 to downright skip the save and get on to the effects.

That would be Kingdoms of Kalamar, actually, and it was changed to +10 to the DC in the 3.5 update to the Player's Guide.

Andorax
2012-05-09, 12:53 PM
Rare case...but you can't make a reflex save versus a breath weapon if you're currently grappled by a bite attack from the critter with the breath weapon.

Or is that only dragons?

Morph Bark
2012-05-09, 01:03 PM
Rare case...but you can't make a reflex save versus a breath weapon if you're currently grappled by a bite attack from the critter with the breath weapon.

Or is that only dragons?

Doesn't that require a feat?

Suddo
2012-05-09, 01:38 PM

Or is that only dragons?

Just grab them in your claw. I believe its because they are considered flat-footed.

Khedrac
2012-05-09, 02:00 PM

Or is that only dragons?Please quote source on this on as I am fairly sure you are wrong. And you certainly are not flat-footed against the grappler - you still get your Dex bonus against them, you just lose it against everyone else. Pinned is different.

Case in point - playing a Living Greyhawk adventure (so 2 rules lawyers present + 5 people who knew the rules pretty well) The DM got rather upset when the centaur grappled a lich. The lich resorted to its spell like ability of Greater Fireburst only to discover that the centaur had evasion...

Edit: I missed that you said Bite Attack - that would actually almost make sense, so I am no longer sure at all, but would still appreciate source.

kardar233
2012-05-09, 02:35 PM
The Snatch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm) feat specifically states that you don't get a save vs Breath Weapon when held in the mouth. That's an effect of the feat, though.