PDA

View Full Version : Claymore and Kilt Themed Anime/Manga

Nepenthe
2012-05-08, 08:14 PM
In short: Are there any?

For reference: I want to play a Celtic warrior/Fenian type character in an upcoming BESM campaign. Are there any examples I could watch/read to see how this archetype is rendered in Japanese media? I'm sure the perception is different in eastern cultures than it is here, and I want to play it as "anime" as possible (anyone who's played BESM should understand).

Dr.Epic
2012-05-08, 10:12 PM
The only things that come to mind are...

-Berserk
-Claymore
-Record of Lodoss War

I've never actually seen the entirety of all these animes, but from what I've heard/seen, they are in the genre you're looking for.

Terraoblivion
2012-05-08, 11:36 PM
If by Celtic you mean vaguely European hodgepodge based on old D&D illustrations, then yes. Because that's what European fantasy in anime is and these are no different.

And to answer your question, op, there might be something, somewhere out there, more likely to be found among manga than anime, but I've never heard about it and I believe I'm relatively well-educated in these fields.

Nepenthe
2012-05-09, 01:45 AM
I've read Berserk and watched Claymore. Both are great (Berserk more so than Claymore) but not really what I'm looking for. I'll check out Record of Lodoss War though, thanks!

I'll admit it doesn't seem like typical subject matter for eastern audiences, but I vaguely remember watching an anime that was basically a modern retelling of the Selkie legend so I'm holding on to some hope.

endoperez
2012-05-09, 07:16 AM
I think there's a viking anime/ manga. That could work.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-05-09, 07:55 AM
I think there's a viking anime/ manga. That could work.

Vinland Saga is the name.

Nepenthe
2012-05-10, 12:25 AM
Vinland Saga looks really cool, thanks! And it's looking like that is the closest I'm going to get.