PDA

View Full Version : Fey in 3.5

arkol
2012-05-08, 10:45 PM
Hello again playground. I know next to nothing about the background of the fey and how do they incorporate themselves in a standard DnD world.

Please educate me or point me towards educational sources. Thank you :smallsmile:

Eldan
2012-05-08, 10:55 PM
Basically? They don't.

D&D in general and 3.5 in particular show a gigantic lack of Fey fluff, and what's there seems to mostly point at merry trickster Pixies hopping over flowers and guardian spirits of nature, instead of the Sidhe or any kind of interesting fey.

There are the Seelie and Unseelie Court, lead by Titania and the Queen of Air and Darkness respectively. THe first is on Arborea, the second on Pandemonium, but they don't have much.

Finally, the wizards site used to have a regular series of web articles called Fey Feature or something like that, perhaps you can still find them. It tried to give at least a bit of fluff to the fey.

arkol
2012-05-08, 10:57 PM
There are the Seelie and Unseelie Court, lead by Titania and the Queen of Air and Darkness respectively. THe first is on Arborea, the second on Pandemonium, but they don't have much.

You have a source I can look into?

The-Mage-King
2012-05-08, 10:57 PM
Yeah. The stuff on the WotC website (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/fey)is about it, and there's not really that much there, either.

Marlowe
2012-05-08, 11:02 PM
Not really on topic, but I've amused myself with the idea that there's this intense three-sided feud going on between the Half-Fey, the Feytouched, and those that simply have the Fey Heritage Feat chain. The bone of contention, of course, is on which of them gets screwed over most by the rules.

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-08, 11:03 PM
Depends on your setting, in 4E points of light, Fae have a pretty huge chunk of the setting reserved for them. I think, in 3.5 they just kinda show up and mess with travelers more often than not. Not alot about them. Its one of those things people would really have loved a book about.(count the number on undead/demons btw, they got some love!) There are some in the Fiend Folio for some reason...

Anyways, not alot of fluff behind them, but they just kind of pop up and nature. Not hard to incorperate I think.

Marlowe
2012-05-08, 11:11 PM
It's actually quite odd considering the importance they have in some of the vintage fantasy novels that directly inspired D&D. They're the main villains of "Three Hearts and Three Lions" instance. AKA the novel that both inspired the Paladin class and supplied the original MM Troll description.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-08, 11:12 PM
I deal almost exclusively with fey when it comes to my campaigns (it's been years since I've made a campaign that wasn't fey-centric), so I can be of assistance regarding your concerns.

Fey do not have a fixed place in the D&D world. That's the first thing you have to keep in mind. Fey have been created to exist on a vacuum, without an actual society or culture behind, and as such, they're left largely in the hands of the DM (many monsters also share a similar problem). Some entries for fey do have a few paragraphs about their "culture" (and I use that term loosely), but it's frankly insufficient for most DMs.

As such, you must first decide what role fey play in your campaign. You have basically three archetypes to draw upon:

Fey as individual wilderness encounters.
Fey as a fully functional society.
Fey as a part of a non-fey society.

Let's go over them one by one.

Fey as individual wilderness encounters:

This is the standard interpretation (and I suppose, intention) of fey in 3.5e. Fey are supposed to be individual encounters, isolated from everything else. The nymph in the pond, the dryad in her tree, the satyr in the glade, the ruin chanter in the ruin, the verdant prince in the heart of the forest, and so on. This is the easiest way to use Fey, because they don't require any details or explanations. The fey are there for a specific purpose (usually fighting, quest-giving, trickery or the like) and then they're gone, or perhaps encountered very briefly a few times again. These types of Fey can be presumed to wander the area they've been found, and their motives are unknown (most of the time). They are meant to represent the beautiful/dangerous side of nature, and serve more as allegories for ideals than true beings. Consider them like elementals or magical beasts, rather than civilised races.

Fey as a fully functional society:

This is the interpretation I use most often, but it's the one that requires the most work. You have to create everything from scratch, because official sources will not help you there. Official sources presume you're using option 1. In this place, you have to make a list of the fey you intend to incorporate in your campaign, then create societies for them. A good idea to see who leads and who follows is to check out power levels. A nymph is pretty powerful, which makes them good leaders. Satyrs aren't as powerful, so they're not that high up the hierarchy. Verdant Princes are pretty much the top (barring some specific examples like the Wild Hunt), so they could act as monarchs. Usually, keep in mind that Fey are highly magical and in tune with nature, so a lot of what civilised races do (hunting/raising crops/weaving clothes/crafting tools and weapons/etc) is substantially reduced or eliminated by their relationship with their surroundings, so you have to come up with things for these immortal creatures to do in their oodles of spare time.

Fey as a part of non-fey society:

This is the way I'm handling my latest campaign, with some fey being incorporated to the population of a fortress. This is somewhat easier than the previous option, since you only have to come up with the role each fey you incorporate fulfils in the society you placed them. Generally speaking, fey are usually well suited to be entertainers, courtesans, leaders, mages, bards, enchanters, spies, assassins, healers and overseeing nature-related things (like crops, births and animals).

Also, as an aside, none of what you've been linked regarding the Seelie and Unseelie court actually gets mentioned in any book (that I know of). It all exists in a series of WotC articles of doubtful canonicity.

Solaris
2012-05-08, 11:17 PM
Also, as an aside, none of what you've been linked regarding the Seelie and Unseelie court actually gets mentioned in any book (that I know of). It all exists in a series of WotC articles of doubtful canonicity.

For some reason, the idea of non-setting-specific D&D canon makes me chuckle.

If you're looking to get more fey into the setting, go back to the myths and folklore that spawned them.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-08, 11:22 PM
For some reason, the idea of non-setting-specific D&D canon makes me chuckle.

If you're looking to get more fey into the setting, go back to the myths and folklore that spawned them.

Hilarious as it sounds, there is D&D "canon" (using that term loosely), and those articles are just... ugh. They are so painful to read. They read like they're the fanfiction written by preteens who just finished binging on "Folklore for Dummies, Lite Edition." If you want to have fey as they are portrayed in myths, folklore and faerie tales, by all means, do so. Just, you know, go read the actual myths, folklore and faerie tales yourself. Why would anyone want to read someone else's gushing "OMG SQUEE" version of it, I have no idea.

Having said that, I am not a fan of appropriating folklore to the letter. Taking inspiration or some specific aspect? Sure. Portraying your nymph exactly as they're described in the Greek myths? Uh, no.

ngilop
2012-05-08, 11:35 PM
It's actually quite odd considering the importance they have in some of the vintage fantasy novels that directly inspired D&D. They're the main villains of "Three Hearts and Three Lions" instance. AKA the novel that both inspired the Paladin class and supplied the original MM Troll description.

MIND=BLOWN. i alwasy thought Charlemagne and his 12 paladins, and King arthur and his knights was what inspiried the D&D paladin, people like Roland, Gaheris and Lancelot. while Archbishop Turpin and William the conquers brother/cousin ( cannot remmber) were the inspiration of Clerics

back on subjest now that my brian recovered..

I have to say that just look back at the various greek, celtic, norse and other germanic folktales and myths about what we would consider 'fey' creatures and get inspiration form that.

you know reading some greek myths and sayng ' ok now i know what a nymph does' or some celtic myths and saying ' ok now I know what a brownie does" and building their stories around that, modified of course to fit in better with your own story!

after all, im pretty sure that 100% of ALL monsters and races in D&D have their basis in some culutres folklore and myths.

Marlowe
2012-05-08, 11:52 PM
The book is about Holger du Dansk.

Lessee, we can imagine that the creators of the game went straight from "the Song of Roland" and "Morte d'Arthur" into writing D&D, or you can imagine that their inspiration was filtered through secondary works which oddly enough, include details which fit the resulting game and which didn't appear in the medieval romances. Including at least one case of actual paraphrase. Your choice.

White_Drake
2012-05-09, 01:54 AM
After all, I'm pretty sure that 100% of ALL monsters and races in D&D have their basis in some culture's folklore and myths.

Not Aboleths! :smallbiggrin:

Particle_Man
2012-05-09, 02:07 AM
I like the backstory to the fey in BXCMI D&D where you have 5 spheres (earth, air, water, fire and the "Destructive" one entropy) in this version of the universe, and entropy is bad, chaotic etc., trying to pull apart the great stuff the other 4 spheres have put together.

But, last cycle of the universe it was different. You had earth, air, fire, water starting apart, and the "Bad sphere" was integration that was going to destroy that version of the universe if it succeeded, and it was lawful.

The fey are chaotic (which would normally be shorthand for "bad guys") but they are from the last cycle of the universe, where being chaotic meant being the "good guys".

I am stating this badly, but thought it was cool. More info in Tall Tales of the Wee Folk (one of the four Creature Crucible supplements for BXCMI D&D).

Not sure if it would fit in the 3.x cosmology though. Pity.

Separate from that I also had an idea for a campaign where I make the fey the bad guys ("**** it, you know what? The pixies really do steal children and all that." haven't done it yet, though).

Feytalist
2012-05-09, 02:21 AM

The illithid and beholder are also D&D originals. Illithid being somewhat influenced by Lovecraft, but only in appearance.

Random stuff like blink dog and wolf in sheep's clothing as well.

Back on topic, the nice thing about having fey background so nebulous is that you can do with it whatever you want. If you want to have the two fey courts like in the Dresdenverse, you can go with that. Want them dotted about nature as remnants of an older time, you can do that as well.

I've always liked the concept behind the Guardian of the Crossroads, as mentioned in Magic of Faerun. A kind of a "backroads" place that's somehow linked to the fey.

BlueEyes
2012-05-09, 04:10 AM
I use fey as tourists. Which means that they have their own "society" on their home plane, but on the material plane they're encountered solo (individual wilderness encounters) or as parts of elven societies.
Of course with fey immortality, what for me might be a lifetime, for the fey is just a quick visit.

Zombimode
2012-05-09, 04:54 AM
They are meant to represent the beautiful/dangerous side of nature, and serve more as allegories for ideals than true beings. Consider them like elementals or magical beasts, rather than civilised races.

I'm a bit confused. Thats kind of the point of Fey. And it is how they appear in classical mythology, too.
Why shoehorn them into molds they aren't made for?
But each to their own, I guess.

Urpriest
2012-05-09, 09:38 AM

According to them, they're the basis for every culture's folklore and myths...

Shadowknight12
2012-05-09, 09:53 AM
I'm a bit confused. Thats kind of the point of Fey. And it is how they appear in classical mythology, too.
Why shoehorn them into molds they aren't made for?
But each to their own, I guess.

I'm sorry, I like treating and portraying people like people. And to me, the Fey are people. I also don't bow to things other gamers consider "conventional" like having the orcs being an evil race of raiders and the like. I flesh out all the races I consider "people."

Elfinor
2012-05-09, 09:54 AM
There's a variant Plane of Faerie in the Manual of the Planes as well, it's poorly fleshed out: Seelie Court=Half-Celestial Elves & Unseelie Court=Half-Fiend Elves:smalleek:. If you want your game to be as 'canon' as possible, I'd take the Fey Feature articles over that any day. Heroes of Horror also has a short, but well-written, couple of paragraphs on Fey.

In Eberron, the Fey are only really mentioned in conjunction with the Greensingers (a Druid Sect). The largest writeup on them is in Faiths of Eberron, IIRC. They have there own plane and there's nature and they're chaotic and there are enchantment spells aplenty. In short, nothing too original, but nothing too bad either.

3.5 Forgotten Realms has little fluff on Fey (aside from the usual friends of elves, nature loving stuff). 4e realms has much more fluff, and is quite interesting. It's somewhat portable over to 3e, because the Feywild used to be 'far away' from the Material Plane but still reachable. Evermeet is actually a piece of the Feywild. The biggest problem with backwards-porting 4e fluff is the Eladrin issue, with both 'Noble' (are the Ghaele still celestials or are they fey now?) and 'normal' Eladrin (are Sun, Moon and Star Elves true Fey or Fey only for item prereqs or only Fey in fluff). FR wiki runs over the basics of the fluff.

I normally use a mishmash of fantasy literature. A rather embarrassing amount of it is influenced by Merry Gentry:smalltongue:

Zombimode
2012-05-09, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry, I like treating and portraying people like people. And to me, the Fey are people. I also don't bow to things other gamers consider "conventional" like having the orcs being an evil race of raiders and the like. I flesh out all the races I consider "people."

I can empathise. I'm just curious why you would consider Fey as people. I mean representing the beautiful-dangerous side of nature and beeing allegories of ideas as you've put it so eloquently are perfectly viable concepts in a fantasy setting.
I guess what I'm saying is that non-people need love, too :smalltongue:

Andorax
2012-05-09, 01:11 PM
Fey as individual wilderness encounters:

This is the standard interpretation (and I suppose, intention) of fey in 3.5e. Fey are supposed to be individual encounters, isolated from everything else. ...

Fey as a fully functional society:

This is the interpretation I use most often, but it's the one that requires the most work. You have to create everything from scratch, because official sources will not help you there. Official sources presume you're using option 1. In this place, you have to make a list of the fey you intend to incorporate in your campaign, then create societies for them...

I would presume that one of the main reasons for interpretation #1 is that, even if #2 exists, there's generally little need, purpose, or motivation for a typical adventuring party to want to interact with it.

Who cares that she's the handmaiden of the Spring Butterfly Court Dutchess's third daughter, who's run off with a young elf and causing all manner of trouble...just get the talking tree lady to tell us where the orcs went.

I've yet to see (though personally, I'd really LIKE to) a sustainable, ongoing fae-related plot.

cagemarrow
2012-05-11, 07:06 AM
If you're just looking for inspiration take a look at the Dresden Files novels and Roleplaying Game. I personally love Jim Butcher's take on the Fey and how they come into the "real" world in order to extract power from mortals for fun and profit.

Acanous
2012-05-11, 07:22 AM
Fae work really well when played as alien, intelligent, and dangerous, from what I've seen.

Bronk
2012-05-11, 08:22 AM
I’ve been running a fey centric 3.5 campaign for a while, so I’ve been scouring the books for clues for a while now. Here are a few places to find information about the Fey races in 3.5 besides their monster manual entries…

The Manual of the Planes talks about the ‘Plane of Faerie’ where the Seelie and Unseelie courts exist, and suggests some stats for making members of each court.

A different version of the courts is found in Dragon 304, with different suggested stats for the fey folk.

The Queen of Air and Darkness, leader of the Unseelie Court, is presented as an intermediate goddess in Dragon 359.

Finally, the Fey are presented as one of the ‘creator races’ of Faerun in ‘The Grand History of the Realms’, creating lesser fairies and ruling the ‘realm of Faerie’ to the present day.

In addition, some of the monster entries do mention fey society a bit. Dryads (MM) might form a ‘grove’, attracting other fey and protectors to the area, specifically ‘Oaken Defenders’ (MM4). Thorns (MM3) are described as ‘warriors of the fey realms’. Verdant Princes (MMIV) are tyrants that lead other evil fey. LeShay (ELH) are epic level immortal fey that claim to be remnants of a great society that was destroyed in a cataclysm in a previous multiverse. The Silthilar (LoM) are aberrations that used to be fey, remnants of a fey race also destroyed by cataclysm and could only survive by altering themselves beyond recognition.

So, in Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, the fey are often encountered alone, but there is a greater society of them out there somewhere, maybe more than one, and there used to be more. The Seelie and Unseelie courts definitely exist in general 3.5 lore, in some fashion, and some sort of Fey plane officially exists in the Forgotten Realms setting as well. However, there is no indication that any particular fey you might encounter is clued into any of that.

A lot is definitely left open to interpretation. For example, and as a personal pet peeve, Fey life spans are usually not delved into, and one of the articles in that WotC ‘Fey Feature Archive’ even lists that as an option left over for the DM to decide on a case by case basis. As far as I know, only the LeShay and Silthilar are specifically called out as being immortal. Dryads are linked to their trees, so you would think they would be mortal, but another monster’s description, the splinterwaif, coyly suggests that they might be deranged dryads whose trees were cut down and used as lumber. Redcaps get more powerful as they age, with no time limit given. So, if you meet a nymph in the woods, she might be a local yokel or have millennia of memories and be clued into a greater fey society. It’s all very frustrating, and I wish the fey had their own book!

Edit: the default world for 3.0/3.5 is Greyhawk

Answerer
2012-05-11, 08:48 AM
3.5 doesn't really have a default world at all, so there's no place for them to fit. You'd do better to look up Faerun or Eberron to see how they're handled in those worlds (though to my knowledge Eberron just sticks them all on a random plane that never got fleshed out), or look into previous/newer editions (I think 4E did more with them).

Shadowknight12
2012-05-11, 09:26 AM
I can empathise. I'm just curious why you would consider Fey as people. I mean representing the beautiful-dangerous side of nature and beeing allegories of ideas as you've put it so eloquently are perfectly viable concepts in a fantasy setting.
I guess what I'm saying is that non-people need love, too :smalltongue:

Because we already have plenty of those! D&D loves having consequence-free killing. Who cares about killing a dryad? She wasn't a person, she was just a quasi-elemental, nature-y thing. Well, I care, because I think of her as a person, not a female-shaped bunch of leaves. Poor dryad. :smallfrown:

I would presume that one of the main reasons for interpretation #1 is that, even if #2 exists, there's generally little need, purpose, or motivation for a typical adventuring party to want to interact with it.

Who cares that she's the handmaiden of the Spring Butterfly Court Dutchess's third daughter, who's run off with a young elf and causing all manner of trouble...just get the talking tree lady to tell us where the orcs went.

I've yet to see (though personally, I'd really LIKE to) a sustainable, ongoing fae-related plot.

Well, I've personally never played #1, mostly because it's just so dull. I care more about the personal interactions of my character with others than killing things and taking their stuff. So, to me, talking to a dryad and finding out about her life is far more interesting than doing everything according to formula (Receive quest, follow orcs, meet dryad, get directions, find orcs, kill orcs, loot orcs, return, receive quest reward, rinse, repeat and then commit seppuku to escape the dull dreariness of such gaming life). I don't know, maybe I'm weird. But to me, talking to an interesting character over something exotic and charming (even if it boils down to her lady liege's third daughter running off with an elf) beats killing things any day.

nedz
2012-05-11, 01:54 PM
Spoilered, just on the off chance one of my players stumbles across this; unlikely - but this is the Internet.

I'm curently using Fey as a late developing alternate plot arc in a campaign at the moment.

I didn't want Seelie or Unseelie, nothing wrong with them - they just weren't what I was looking for.

The campaign is heavily Dwarven so I created an earth/fey court which involves things like Oreads but mainly involves me slapping the Half fey template onto Dwarves. This is quite an odd combination which gives me quite an interesting flavour.

Basically they are the spirits of the mountains.

Prime32
2012-05-11, 02:37 PM
There's a variant Plane of Faerie in the Manual of the Planes as well, it's poorly fleshed out: Seelie Court=Half-Celestial Elves & Unseelie Court=Half-Fiend Elves:smalleek:....yeah, the Seelie Court aren't exactly Good, they just don't inflict pain for fun (they do it out of ignorance).

This thread (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=108) might help.

Spoilered, just on the off chance one of my players stumbles across this; unlikely - but this is the Internet.

I'm curently using Fey as a late developing alternate plot arc in a campaign at the moment.

I didn't want Seelie or Unseelie, nothing wrong with them - they just weren't what I was looking for.

The campaign is heavily Dwarven so I created an earth/fey court which involves things like Oreads but mainly involves me slapping the Half fey template onto Dwarves. This is quite an odd combination which gives me quite an interesting flavour.

Basically they are the spirits of the mountains.
My trope senses are telling me that if dwarf-like mountain spirits exist, dwarves are descended from them. :smalltongue:

Larkas
2012-05-11, 03:42 PM
There's a variant Plane of Faerie in the Manual of the Planes as well, it's poorly fleshed out: Seelie Court=Half-Celestial Elves & Unseelie Court=Half-Fiend Elves:smalleek:.

Myself, I'm developing a world for a Planescape campaign, and in it I'll have a version 4E's Feywild, basically a mix between MoP's Spirit World and Plane of Faerie, and I'll have Seelie and Unseelie Courts there. I'm thinking of using Dragon Magazine's Seelie and Unseelie templates, or DragMag's Celadrin and FR's Fey'ri (albeit probably wingless, and both would be "real" races, not half-breeds). Those both resolve the issue of 4E's Eladrins too, btw.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-11, 03:50 PM
Meh. I never saw the appeal of two big courts of Fey for the entirety of the multiverse. We haven't unified our world into a single nation, so what makes Fey, whimsical, immortal and powerful as they are, any likelier to do the same? Seelie and Unseelie courts always struck me as instantly shattering Willing Suspension of Disbelief. I prefer Fey to have a more realistic government structure, something based around monarchy or feudalism, with plenty of pockets of "free fey" who owe allegiance to no one but themselves.

Then I made Eladrin the spirits of good-aligned, heroic fey and elves who are rewarded with holy ascension upon death. Much like celestials are for humans and other races, Eladrin (and other CG celestials, like Lillends) are basically that for fey and elves.

And also Eladrin have no court either (I got rid of all that Arvandor and the Queen of Whatever nonsense). They operate on a system of respect and freedom, where each Eladrin fights for a cause or undertakes missions as they please, and they have deference to those who are older or more powerful out of a matter of simple respect.

Larkas
2012-05-11, 04:05 PM
No one ever said it is a "centralized" government, just that it is a "court" :smallbiggrin: IIRC, the Seelie Court convenes every year on the summer solstice to feast, party and make an overall orgy. Other than that, each "court leader" (there are several) is respected and feared, but isn't the monarch of anything (though they may be de facto rulers of some place). There simply isn't any kind of centralized government for the Seelie Court or any of its component leaders, though there might be cities and stuff like that. The Unseelie are not so different, though their reunions tend to be more cheating and backstabbing than anything else :smallsmile: It might not cater to your tastes, but I recommend taking a look at 4E's Manual of the Planes. I have a deep dislike for 4E's rules, but there is a lot of flavor to be salvaged there :smalltongue:

Shadowknight12
2012-05-11, 04:10 PM
No one ever said it is a "centralized" government, just that it is a "court" :smallbiggrin: IIRC, the Seelie Court convenes every year on the summer solstice to feast, party and make an overall orgy. Other than that, each "court leader" (there are several) is respected and feared, but isn't the monarch of anything (though they may be de facto rulers of some place). There simply isn't any kind of centralized government for the Seelie Court or any of its component leaders, though there might be cities and stuff like that. The Unseelie are not so different, though their reunions tend to be more cheating and backstabbing than anything else :smallsmile: It might not cater to your tastes, but I recommend taking a look at 4E's Manual of the Planes. I have a deep dislike for 4E's rules, but there is a lot of flavor to be salvaged there :smalltongue:

Meh, why appropriate when you can create?

Other than that, I guess it's not THAT bad when you put it that way. It's still not what I'd do, I'd rather have several kingdoms of fey in every major forest or unspoiled wilderness, and plenty of free fey scattered left and right, rather than "courts" that "convene" and the like. Maybe the biggest fey kingdom in the campaign could be divided into those two courts, but that's probably the only way I'd ever incorporate the Seelie and the Unseelie.

Thanks for the recommendation, I sort of liked and disliked simultaneously what 4e did with the Fey (it's a love-hate thing), so I might read that and see what MoP says about it.

nedz
2012-05-11, 05:56 PM
Meh, why appropriate when you can create?
Agreed.

Other than that, I guess it's not THAT bad when you put it that way. It's still not what I'd do, I'd rather have several kingdoms of fey in every major forest or unspoiled wilderness, and plenty of free fey scattered left and right, rather than "courts" that "convene" and the like. Maybe the biggest fey kingdom in the campaign could be divided into those two courts, but that's probably the only way I'd ever incorporate the Seelie and the Unseelie.

I prefer to leave multiple courts an open question, and therefore an option for the future, whilst I concentrate on creating just one court for my current game. There may be myths of course.

Fey naturally quarrel amongst themselves and so you can have conflict without two rigid groupings. Or you could have more than two factions, or multiple courts which each claim the same title.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-11, 06:07 PM
I prefer to leave multiple courts an open question, and therefore an option for the future, whilst I concentrate on creating just one court for my current game. There may be myths of course.

Fey naturally quarrel amongst themselves and so you can have conflict without two rigid groupings. Or you could have more than two factions, or multiple courts which each claim the same title.

Yeah, I tend to do the same. I cannot fathom the Fey rigidly adhering to anything, what with them being practically the definition of Chaotic. I tend to steer clear from courts, myself. I prefer to have a more liberal system where more powerful fey command respect and deference from less powerful ones, but they all leave each other largely alone. At worst, I'll go for a feudal monarchy, with Verdant Princes and hamadryads as "monarchs" and lesser fey as the equivalent of feudal nobility.

Prime32
2012-05-11, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I tend to do the same. I cannot fathom the Fey rigidly adhering to anything, what with them being practically the definition of Chaotic.Eh, I think being head of a court has less to do with rulership and more to do with "Party at my place tonight!" :smalltongue:

Shadowknight12
2012-05-11, 07:38 PM
Eh, I think being head of a court has less to do with rulership and more to do with "Party at my place tonight!" :smalltongue:

Ahhh. Now that is how I imagine Fey to be. I definitely endorse that interpretation of the courts. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2012-05-11, 07:44 PM
The nobles like things looking dignified though, and try to get everyone to wear monocles and whatnot.

They have "influence" in that they're the only ones with an attention span long enough to seek out other fey for favors. Their servants are just fey who find being a servant fun right now.

Shadowknight12
2012-05-11, 07:50 PM
The nobles like things looking dignified though, and try to get everyone to wear monocles and whatnot.

Bwahaha, and making sure everyone gets drunk on fancy elven wine and not on that dreary human ale. :smallbiggrin:

nedz
2012-05-12, 01:18 AM
Eh, I think being head of a court has less to do with rulership and more to do with "Party at my place tonight!" :smalltongue:

I tend to see them as more of a dysfunctional family picnic :smallsmile:

Something akin to the Courts of Amber could also work though, as could some of the ideas in the Alice books.

Golden Ladybug
2012-05-12, 09:55 AM
A fun way of thinking about the Seelie and Unseelie Courts, that is in no way as amazing as Prime's, is that they're just two groups of Fey who had a disagreement and decided to split the entirety of Fey society down the middle...except outside of them, none of the other Fey have even noticed, or would care if they had.

"Am I un-what-ie? Sorry, never heard of it. I just like stealing milk" :smallwink: