PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Defenders

killianh
2012-05-09, 07:08 AM
Has anyone on here tried out the game dungeon defenders? It's a RPG tower defence crossbreed on steam and I'm wondering if anyone has any kind of opinion of the game?

polity4life
2012-05-09, 07:14 AM
We had a thread about it that died off months ago. It's a great game though! I picked it up again recently, trying to beat the Throne Room on hard and I still can't figure it out.

Hida Reju
2012-05-10, 05:12 AM
We had a thread about it that died off months ago. It's a great game though! I picked it up again recently, trying to beat the Throne Room on hard and I still can't figure it out.

It helps if you have 2 Heroes. One for laying walls that focuses on Tower Health and another that focuses on doing DPS.

I have a squire with maxed tower health that lays my walls and my Apprentice rocks the damage towers.

You get a 20% damage bonus if the tower placer is in the map. But you can swap out in between waves whenever you want.

polity4life
2012-05-10, 05:22 AM
It helps if you have 2 Heroes. One for laying walls that focuses on Tower Health and another that focuses on doing DPS.

I have a squire with maxed tower health that lays my walls and my Apprentice rocks the damage towers.

You get a 20% damage bonus if the tower placer is in the map. But you can swap out in between waves whenever you want.

I usually play with two other apprentices with tower-damage builds. I play a squire with a hero build with max damage, nearly max health, and the rest dumped into tower health.

The problems we face aren't the boss but rather the other fronts. Due to the low health of the apprentices, they go down quickly, leaving the defenses unattended for too long and then they break. :smallfrown: The two ogres prior don't help matters and destroy our highly upgraded towers just prior.

I could respec to do max tower health but I would have to sacrifice hero damage or hero health.

Hida Reju
2012-05-10, 05:32 AM
I usually play with two other apprentices with tower-damage builds. I play a squire with a hero build with max damage, nearly max health, and the rest dumped into tower health.

The problems we face aren't the boss but rather the other fronts. Due to the low health of the apprentices, they go down quickly, leaving the defenses unattended for too long and then they break. :smallfrown: The two ogres prior don't help matters and destroy our highly upgraded towers just prior.

I could respec to do max tower health but I would have to sacrifice hero damage or hero health.

Or create a second squire that does nothing but put points in tower health and a split in tower damage and RoF. That is how I delt with my solo games. I do the lvl with the Apprentice and my towers deal mad DPS with high hitpoints on the walls.

As for layout I put a Slice n Dice up top near the stairs in between the two paths going down on the Throne side. Then for backup it gets a lightning tower and a magic missile tower.

I then put a pair of Bouncer Blockades on the steps on each side of the Crystal on the other side.

For the main path I build a pair of either Slice n Dice or Bouncer blockades to halt progress backed up with a fireball, 2 Magic Missile towers, and at least one Deadly Strike tower for ogres. Build them far enough back to avoid ogre splash damage. Add extra defenses as you see fit. On the side that the boss comes in I put extra damage and focus my upgrades on the last lvl or 2.

This usually works for Hard, the higher difficulties need a whole different strategy.

polity4life
2012-05-10, 07:16 AM
Or create a second squire that does nothing but put points in tower health and a split in tower damage and RoF. That is how I delt with my solo games. I do the lvl with the Apprentice and my towers deal mad DPS with high hitpoints on the walls.

As for layout I put a Slice n Dice up top near the stairs in between the two paths going down on the Throne side. Then for backup it gets a lightning tower and a magic missile tower.

I then put a pair of Bouncer Blockades on the steps on each side of the Crystal on the other side.

For the main path I build a pair of either Slice n Dice or Bouncer blockades to halt progress backed up with a fireball, 2 Magic Missile towers, and at least one Deadly Strike tower for ogres. Build them far enough back to avoid ogre splash damage. Add extra defenses as you see fit. On the side that the boss comes in I put extra damage and focus my upgrades on the last lvl or 2.

This usually works for Hard, the higher difficulties need a whole different strategy.

Our current strategy is to build Blockades on the upper halls, backed by a Harpoon and something from the apprentices. On the left, where the boss eventually shows, we have one or two Bowling Ball towers. On the right, I have three blockades blocking the path with loads of apprentice backup. The top typically has a Blade Tower (or Blockade if defense points are low) with a fireball or lightning.

Our best attempt involved me block-tanking the boss in range of the Bowling Balls and whatever else could it it at that range, like the Harpoons. The problem is that I don't gain enough mana for healing and eventually go down at around 60% boss health. If I leave to get mana to survive, then the boss just tears right through.

I'll give your strategy a go. I'm tired of my big, slow poison demon sword from the hard-mode first boss.

Sholos
2012-05-10, 07:55 AM
I've been looking to get back into DD for a while now. Add me on Steam if you're on PC (vampirebunbun) and maybe we can play sometime. I can definitely help you through the hard-difficulty levels. Won't be able to play until after this weekend, though.

A Rainy Knight
2012-05-10, 08:10 AM
Ooh, I haven't played this game in a while. I'm arainyknight on Steam, and I might entertain the idea of playing a round or two with my all-powerful assault-rifle-toting Huntress. :smalltongue: